Swithched to Verizon PTT

Last response: in Network Providers
June 20, 2005 4:04:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Well I finally made the switch from Nextel to Verizon. Here is the
deal......

Verizon's initial connect time is approximately 2 Seconds then nearly
instant after that. I can use it in my house. Big plus over Nextel as I
would have no service displayed on the screen most of the time. Verizon PTT
is by far HANDS DOWN Clearer than Nextel.

2 THUMBS UP to Verizon. Great job. IMHO once Verizon advertises their PTT
and people see that it is much improved over their first rollout I believe
that Nextel will lose market share quickly. Go VERIZON!!!

More about : swithched verizon ptt

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:04:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Good, maybe if a lot of people leave Nextel, then I will stop getting
all the busy signals. You are the 1st person to like the Verizon PTT.
People I have met say it is much slower than Nextel. I once talked to
someone in Hawaii from Florida and the response was instant with Nextel.
IMHO Nextel's problem is too many people are trying to use their service
now. I have been with them for about 10 years and early on their service
was superior to any other service in South East Florida. They have to
either provide upgrade or have fewer subscribers. Thanks for helping us out.

Jimmy D wrote:
> Well I finally made the switch from Nextel to Verizon. Here is the
> deal......
>
> Verizon's initial connect time is approximately 2 Seconds then nearly
> instant after that. I can use it in my house. Big plus over Nextel as I
> would have no service displayed on the screen most of the time. Verizon PTT
> is by far HANDS DOWN Clearer than Nextel.
>
> 2 THUMBS UP to Verizon. Great job. IMHO once Verizon advertises their PTT
> and people see that it is much improved over their first rollout I believe
> that Nextel will lose market share quickly. Go VERIZON!!!

June 20, 2005 4:04:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

does Direct Connect work between a Verizon and a Nextel phone?
"Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Good, maybe if a lot of people leave Nextel, then I will stop getting
> all the busy signals. You are the 1st person to like the Verizon PTT.
> People I have met say it is much slower than Nextel. I once talked to
> someone in Hawaii from Florida and the response was instant with Nextel.
> IMHO Nextel's problem is too many people are trying to use their service
> now. I have been with them for about 10 years and early on their service
> was superior to any other service in South East Florida. They have to
> either provide upgrade or have fewer subscribers. Thanks for helping us
out.

> Jimmy D wrote:
> > Well I finally made the switch from Nextel to Verizon. Here is the
> > deal......
> >
> > Verizon's initial connect time is approximately 2 Seconds then nearly
> > instant after that. I can use it in my house. Big plus over Nextel as
> > would have no service displayed on the screen most of the time. Verizon
PTT
> > is by far HANDS DOWN Clearer than Nextel.
> >
> > 2 THUMBS UP to Verizon. Great job. IMHO once Verizon advertises their
PTT
> > and people see that it is much improved over their first rollout I
believe
> > that Nextel will lose market share quickly. Go VERIZON!!!

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:04:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

No, they are 2 different technologies. Nextel is a 2-way radio based
system, where Verizon is VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)

Motorola is father to both systems. It originated the Iden system (Nextel)
and purchased the VOIP software rights that Verizon is using.

"Justin" <justinandsteph@rcn.com> wrote in message
> does Direct Connect work between a Verizon and a Nextel phone?
> "Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Good, maybe if a lot of people leave Nextel, then I will stop getting
>> all the busy signals. You are the 1st person to like the Verizon PTT.
>> People I have met say it is much slower than Nextel. I once talked to
>> someone in Hawaii from Florida and the response was instant with Nextel.
>> IMHO Nextel's problem is too many people are trying to use their service
>> now. I have been with them for about 10 years and early on their service
>> was superior to any other service in South East Florida. They have to
>> either provide upgrade or have fewer subscribers. Thanks for helping us
> out.
>>
>> Jimmy D wrote:
>> > Well I finally made the switch from Nextel to Verizon. Here is the
>> > deal......
>> >
>> > Verizon's initial connect time is approximately 2 Seconds then nearly
>> > instant after that. I can use it in my house. Big plus over Nextel as
>> > would have no service displayed on the screen most of the time.
>> > Verizon
> PTT
>> > is by far HANDS DOWN Clearer than Nextel.
>> >
>> > 2 THUMBS UP to Verizon. Great job. IMHO once Verizon advertises their
> PTT
>> > and people see that it is much improved over their first rollout I
> believe
>> > that Nextel will lose market share quickly. Go VERIZON!!!

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:17:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I simply do not believe this. I tried verizon's PTT and it took 15
seconds to connect.
The only way it could take 2 seconds is if it was already connected.

Try hitting end on both phones then try your Verizon PTT. I bet it
takes much longer than 2 seconds.

****
One thing that that readers should be aware of is that handset will
beep as if the message is instantly sent, but the person RECEIVING the
ptt message will hear it 15 seconds later. The immediate beep make the
sender feel as if the PTT message is being immediately sent.

So again - Put both phones next to each other and hit END to ensure the
connection is closed. Push one PTT button and say hello. Count 15
seconds then you'll hear it. After that it works pretty fast. But in
my opinion, the 15 second delay is not a true PTT.

If anyone is considering Verizon PTT, I suggest you try it in the
store first. Be sure to hit end on both phones, then try the PTT with
two adjacent phones.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:06:39 PM

"Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in news:p hyte.21723$qr1.8628@trndny07:

> 2 THUMBS UP to Verizon. Great job. IMHO once Verizon advertises their
> PTT and people see that it is much improved over their first rollout I
> believe that Nextel will lose market share quickly. Go VERIZON!!!

Now, who you gonna PTT to? Everyone else is on Nextel...(c;

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:07:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Justin" <justinandsteph@rcn.com> wrote in news:e96dncX7RPsSRyvfRVn-
3g@rcn.net:

> does Direct Connect work between a Verizon and a Nextel phone?
> "

Over Nextel's dead body pulled out of their cold, dead hands...(c;

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:38:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You consider 2 Seconds "MUCH SLOWER" I'll take a two second initial connect
that is clear than an INSTANT GARBLED Message. I just talked from PA to CA
with the Verizon PTT. Guess what. Completely Clear with no delay. CAN YOU
HEAR ME NOW?

"Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Good, maybe if a lot of people leave Nextel, then I will stop getting all
> the busy signals. You are the 1st person to like the Verizon PTT. People I
> have met say it is much slower than Nextel. I once talked to someone in
> Hawaii from Florida and the response was instant with Nextel. IMHO
> Nextel's problem is too many people are trying to use their service now. I
> have been with them for about 10 years and early on their service was
> superior to any other service in South East Florida. They have to either
> provide upgrade or have fewer subscribers. Thanks for helping us out.
>
> Jimmy D wrote:
>> Well I finally made the switch from Nextel to Verizon. Here is the
>> deal......
>>
>> Verizon's initial connect time is approximately 2 Seconds then nearly
>> instant after that. I can use it in my house. Big plus over Nextel as I
>> would have no service displayed on the screen most of the time. Verizon
>> PTT is by far HANDS DOWN Clearer than Nextel.
>>
>> 2 THUMBS UP to Verizon. Great job. IMHO once Verizon advertises their
>> PTT and people see that it is much improved over their first rollout I
>> believe that Nextel will lose market share quickly. Go VERIZON!!!
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:22:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The fastest time for me was 15 seconds.

All I can tell the users considering either Nextel or Verizon is to try
before you buy.
My experiences show that the verizon PTT was very poor.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:34:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

One thing to remember with Nextel Vs. Verizon. Nextel Direct Connect works
everywhere Nextel Cell works. The same cannot be said with Verizon. They
still have analog sites around the country and their PTW requires a digital
connection...

"Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
> You consider 2 Seconds "MUCH SLOWER" I'll take a two second initial
connect
> that is clear than an INSTANT GARBLED Message. I just talked from PA to
CA
> with the Verizon PTT. Guess what. Completely Clear with no delay. CAN
YOU
> HEAR ME NOW?
>

> "Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > Good, maybe if a lot of people leave Nextel, then I will stop getting
all
> > the busy signals. You are the 1st person to like the Verizon PTT. People
> > have met say it is much slower than Nextel. I once talked to someone in
> > Hawaii from Florida and the response was instant with Nextel. IMHO
> > Nextel's problem is too many people are trying to use their service now.
> > have been with them for about 10 years and early on their service was
> > superior to any other service in South East Florida. They have to either
> > provide upgrade or have fewer subscribers. Thanks for helping us out.
> >
> > Jimmy D wrote:
> >> Well I finally made the switch from Nextel to Verizon. Here is the
> >> deal......
> >>
> >> Verizon's initial connect time is approximately 2 Seconds then nearly
> >> instant after that. I can use it in my house. Big plus over Nextel as
> >> would have no service displayed on the screen most of the time.
Verizon
> >> PTT is by far HANDS DOWN Clearer than Nextel.
> >>
> >> 2 THUMBS UP to Verizon. Great job. IMHO once Verizon advertises their
> >> PTT and people see that it is much improved over their first rollout I
> >> believe that Nextel will lose market share quickly. Go VERIZON!!!

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:34:31 PM

Zman53 wrote:
> One thing to remember with Nextel Vs. Verizon. Nextel
> Direct Connect works everywhere Nextel Cell works. The
> same cannot be said with Verizon. They still have analog
> sites around the country and their PTW requires a digital
> connection...

But this doesn't have any meaning until you compare
the Nextel coverage with VZW digital coverage.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:01:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

That is a good point. I have clearly stated in my previous posts that
the verizon coverage is better than nextel.

I am trying make it clear that Verizon's PTT is NOT nearly as good as
Nextel's PTT. I should go to the store and video tape it so people can
see what I mean.

I have tried both. I use Nextel for my business line and Verizon for
my personal usage.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:12:52 PM

Very, very few are analog only.

Zman53 wrote:
> One thing to remember with Nextel Vs. Verizon. Nextel Direct Connect works
> everywhere Nextel Cell works. The same cannot be said with Verizon. They
> still have analog sites around the country and their PTW requires a digital
> connection...
>

> "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
>
>>You consider 2 Seconds "MUCH SLOWER" I'll take a two second initial
>
> connect
>
>>that is clear than an INSTANT GARBLED Message. I just talked from PA to
>
> CA
>
>>with the Verizon PTT. Guess what. Completely Clear with no delay. CAN
>
> YOU
>
>>HEAR ME NOW?
>>

>>"Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Good, maybe if a lot of people leave Nextel, then I will stop getting
>
> all
>
>>>the busy signals. You are the 1st person to like the Verizon PTT. People

>>>have met say it is much slower than Nextel. I once talked to someone in
>>>Hawaii from Florida and the response was instant with Nextel. IMHO
>>>Nextel's problem is too many people are trying to use their service now.

>>>have been with them for about 10 years and early on their service was
>>>superior to any other service in South East Florida. They have to either
>>>provide upgrade or have fewer subscribers. Thanks for helping us out.

> Verizon

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:47:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

infinitisound@yahoo.com wrote in

> If anyone is considering Verizon PTT, I suggest you try it in the
> store first. Be sure to hit end on both phones, then try the PTT with
> two adjacent phones.

Ahh.....Let me tell you how WE tested it...from Northwoods Mall on the N
side of Charleston SC to the Citadel Mall on the S side of Charleston....

Have the sales personae call the other store's phone on landline where
there isn't even any digital cellular delay they can excuse the delay with.
Now that you have the remote store on the phone, Press the PTT on his group
at your end and listen on the phone for HIS phone to beep. While listening
to him talking on the landline with HIS PTT pushed down, time how long it
takes to hear him on your PTT phone...

While monitoring the landline so you can hear yourself and him talking back
to you, keep the PTT moving back and forth and you'll have an actual
realtime test of how well...or bad...it works.

VoIP is never going to be a trunked radio system like iDen which was
designed for it. The iDen hardware, if you have a signal which is another
matter entirely, wins every time.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:41:46 AM

"Zman53" <zman53@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> One thing to remember with Nextel Vs. Verizon. Nextel Direct Connect
> works
> everywhere Nextel Cell works. The same cannot be said with Verizon. They
> still have analog sites around the country and their PTW requires a
> digital
> connection...

So you are saying you would rather have "No Service" from Nextel than to be
able to make an analog call in remote areas on Verizon?

-Jeff
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:05:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

OK, I tried your test. The longest time it took with both phones sitting
side by side was 7 Seconds. Yep, 7 Seconds. That's all. No longer. And
Guess what? You know that garbled transmission that you get quite frequently
using the Nextel DC? I've been using the Verizon Push to Talk pretty
heavily over the past two days and guess what? That's right! NO GARBLED
TRANSMISSIONS!!! I will take a slight delay over a 45% of the time Nextel
garbled transmission. Sorry Guys, Verizon is headed in the right direction.
I'm sure the initial delay will only get shorter. And one other thing. The
Verizon cell phone the VX4700 is spectacular. Very very clear when making
cell calls. All I can say is, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!!

<infinitisound@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I simply do not believe this. I tried verizon's PTT and it took 15
> seconds to connect.
> The only way it could take 2 seconds is if it was already connected.
>
> Try hitting end on both phones then try your Verizon PTT. I bet it
> takes much longer than 2 seconds.
>
> ****
> One thing that that readers should be aware of is that handset will
> beep as if the message is instantly sent, but the person RECEIVING the
> ptt message will hear it 15 seconds later. The immediate beep make the
> sender feel as if the PTT message is being immediately sent.
>
> So again - Put both phones next to each other and hit END to ensure the
> connection is closed. Push one PTT button and say hello. Count 15
> seconds then you'll hear it. After that it works pretty fast. But in
> my opinion, the 15 second delay is not a true PTT.
>
> If anyone is considering Verizon PTT, I suggest you try it in the
> store first. Be sure to hit end on both phones, then try the PTT with
> two adjacent phones.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:10:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

-- snip --
In reality who cares about the 7 Second initial delay.
If you are going to
have two phones sitting next to one another why bother having PTT of DC
in
the first place. You could just simply turn to the person and have a
real-time conversation.
-- snip --

The 7 seconds is more like 15 seconds. 15 seconds was the fastest
I've seen it initially connect.

You obviously did not get the point of having the two phones next to
each other. It was to prove the bad latency delay for the initial
connection.

Verizon's PTT is the about the same speed as you calling someone up on
the cell phone. So what is the advantage??? Its actually a
disadvantage because only one person can talk at once. You are better
off simply calling the person on the cell phone.

Don't lose focus of what PTT is for. PTT is for quick short
conversations. I am in the audio business where I rent and operate
sound systems. Here is a simulation of using verizon PTT and Nextel
PTT in my sort of business. This is to show the importance of low
delay. : For simplicity, I will use an average case of 2 second for
Nextel and 15 seconds for Verizon for *initial* connections. The 2
seconds for Nextel is being conservative as it is typically about 1
second.

---------------------Nextel
simulation--------------------------------------
(2 seconds) Person A -> Person B : "Where did you park the truck?"
(2 seconds) Person B- > Person A: "I dont know, Ask person C because
he parked it"
(2 seconds) Person A-> Person C: "Where did you park the van?"
(2 seconds) Person C -> Person A "Its behind the stage"
(2 seconds) Person A -> Person B "Can you go get the cables from the
truck since you are closest"

Total Nextel overhead connection time: 10 seconds

---------------------Verizon
simulation--------------------------------------
(15 seconds) Person A -> Person B : "Where did you park the truck?"
(2 seconds) Person B- > Person A: "I dont know, Ask person C because
he parked it"
(15 seconds) Person A-> Person C: "Where did you park the van?"
(2 seconds) Person C -> Person A "Its behind the stage"
(15 seconds) Person A -> Person B "Can you go get the cables from the
truck since you are closest"

Total Verizon overhead connection time: 47 seconds
This long delay is due to the person having to end then intiate calls
to different people. The 15 seconds is were a new connection is made.

I am not a Nextel or a Verizon advocate. I want people to be educated
in what PTT is and what it is used for and how it should work. If you
do not need a responsive PTT, by all means, use Verizon. I do for my
personal cell phone. If you need a responsive PTT, use Nextel.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:13:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

LOL - I meant 49 seconds, not 47.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:17:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You say "If you have a SIGNAL". EXACTLY my point. I will take the 7 second
delay over a garbled no signal Nextel any day of the week. I've been a
Nextel subscriber for 5 years. Just made the switch to Verizon PTT. Glad I
did. Two full days on the system with no problems. Everyone is complaining
about the Verizon delay, and put two phones sided by side, or call one
Verizon store and key the PTT up and wait to hear the delay first hand. In
reality who cares about the 7 Second initial delay. If you are going to
have two phones sitting next to one another why bother having PTT of DC in
the first place. You could just simply turn to the person and have a
real-time conversation. I guess what I am trying to say is if the two
phones are 1/2 mile apart or 2000 miles apart you won't notice the delay.
How often are you going to talk to a person in the same room with a PTT or a
DC phone. That is just plainly absurd. If you just want plain PTT clarity,
then VERIZON should be your choice HANDS DOWN!!! If you want to take your
chances and have that 1/2 second Nextel DC Garbled connection 45% of the
time then Go For It. You have been warned from a former Nextel Subscriber!
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!! 2 Thumbs Up for Verizon!!!

"Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> infinitisound@yahoo.com wrote in
>

> VoIP is never going to be a trunked radio system like iDen which was
> designed for it. The iDen hardware, if you have a signal which is another
> matter entirely, wins every time.
>
> --
> Larry
>
> You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
> chalk.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:17:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Jimmy. One fact remains for me. I am in construction. ALL but two of my
contacts are all on Nextel. When they all switch to Verizon, then it may be
worth while.

--
BD
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side & a dark side, and it holds

"Jimmie James" <james@james.com> wrote in message
> You say "If you have a SIGNAL". EXACTLY my point. I will take the 7
second
> delay over a garbled no signal Nextel any day of the week. I've been a
> Nextel subscriber for 5 years. Just made the switch to Verizon PTT. Glad
> did. Two full days on the system with no problems. Everyone is
complaining
> about the Verizon delay, and put two phones sided by side, or call one
> Verizon store and key the PTT up and wait to hear the delay first hand.
In
> reality who cares about the 7 Second initial delay. If you are going to
> have two phones sitting next to one another why bother having PTT of DC in
> the first place. You could just simply turn to the person and have a
> real-time conversation. I guess what I am trying to say is if the two
> phones are 1/2 mile apart or 2000 miles apart you won't notice the delay.
> How often are you going to talk to a person in the same room with a PTT or
> DC phone. That is just plainly absurd. If you just want plain PTT
clarity,
> then VERIZON should be your choice HANDS DOWN!!! If you want to take your
> chances and have that 1/2 second Nextel DC Garbled connection 45% of the
> time then Go For It. You have been warned from a former Nextel
Subscriber!
> CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!! 2 Thumbs Up for Verizon!!!
>
> "Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> > infinitisound@yahoo.com wrote in
> >

> > VoIP is never going to be a trunked radio system like iDen which was
> > designed for it. The iDen hardware, if you have a signal which is anoth
er
> > matter entirely, wins every time.
> >
> > --
> > Larry
> >
> > You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
> > chalk.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:39:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

<infinitisound@yahoo.com> wrote in message
..

> Don't lose focus of what PTT is for. PTT is for quick short
> conversations. I am in the audio business where I rent and operate
> sound systems. Here is a simulation of using verizon PTT and Nextel
> PTT in my sort of business. This is to show the importance of low
> delay. : For simplicity, I will use an average case of 2 second for
> Nextel and 15 seconds for Verizon for *initial* connections. The 2
> seconds for Nextel is being conservative as it is typically about 1
> second.

---------------------Nextel
simulation--------------------------------------
(2 seconds) Person A -> Person B : "Where did you park the truck?"

(2 seconds) Person B- > Person A: "I dont ^&*())*(&*&*^%*%^%& C because
he **********d it"
(2 Seconds) Person A - > Person B: "Come Again; I didn't get that."

(2 Seconds) Person B -> Person A: "Sorry, I didn't get all that; Did you
want me to go with you to the car dealership to buy a new Truck?"

(2 seconds) Person A-> Person B - "Huh? There must be some mistake. I
want to know where you parked the truck."

(2 seconds) Person B-> Person A: "I dont know, Ask person C because he
parked it"

(2 seconds) Person A-> Person C: "Where %^&*()(&*&(* you ()()()(_)(_)(_)(
van?"

(2 seconds) Person C -> Person A "I can't understand you; call me on my cell
phone"

Total Nextel overhead connection time: 10 seconds for connects; actual
conversation time is unpredictable, as the audio quality is too undependable
to have a straight conversation whithout addiding additional time for
repeating or explaining what you just didn't say.

---------------------Verizon imulation--------------------------------------
(15 seconds) Person A -> Person B : "Where did you park the truck?"
(2 seconds) Person B- > Person A: "I dont know, Ask person C because
he parked it"
(15 seconds) Person A-> Person C: "Where did you park the van?"
(2 seconds) Person C -> Person A "Its behind the stage"
(15 seconds) Person A -> Person B "Can you go get the cables from the
truck since you are closest"

Total Verizon overhead connection time: 47 seconds
This long delay is due to the person having to end then intiate calls
to different people. The 15 seconds is were a new connection is made.

> I am not a Nextel or a Verizon advocate. I want people to be educated
> in what PTT is and what it is used for and how it should work. If you
> do not need a responsive PTT, by all means, use Verizon. I do for my
> personal cell phone. If you need a responsive PTT, use Nextel.

VZ PTT still has a way to go. It is unlikely it will ever be as quick as
Nextel PTT, as they are 2 different animals. However, if my life was
depending on interaction with someone else, I would rather lose a minute
with slow dependable communcations compared to quick unintelligibility.

This is probably why Snipers dont use short barrelled full automatic
weapons, and why Hollywood insists on showing a scene where the villian
alswua screws a surpressor on a wheel gun. A single, well placed projectile
is far more effective than causing eventual medical hardship on the tatrget
due to lead poisioning from the dust in the air created by flying bullets
from a full auto lead dispensing system; just because it is faster......

I found that I can forgo a lot of showmanship for a little dependability;
but that seems to be a foreign idea in today's society.

It's kinda like the old Bull explaining to the yearling that you don't run
out in the pasture to service one cow; you walk down there and service them
all.

Your Mileage May Vary........................
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:29:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I needed to change your numbers a little..........see below. I believe this
is mot accurate........... and you forgot to take into account that the
Nextel failure rate is very high compared that to Verizon. Your 2 second
intervals are at optimum performance.................NOT!!!!! LMFAO

<infinitisound@yahoo.com> wrote in message
..

> ---------------------Nextel
> simulation--------------------------------------
> (2 seconds) Person A -> Person B : "Where did you park the truck?"
> (2 seconds) Person B- > Person A: "I dont know, Ask person C because
> he parked it"
> (2 seconds) Person A-> Person C: "Where did you park the van?"
> (2 seconds) Person C -> Person A "Its behind the stage"
> (2 seconds) Person A -> Person B "Can you go get the cables from the
> truck since you are closest"
>
> Total Nextel overhead connection time: 10 seconds
>
> ---------------------Verizon
> simulation--------------------------------------
> (7 seconds) Person A -> Person B : "Where did you park the truck?"
> (1.5 seconds) Person B- > Person A: "I dont know, Ask person C because
> he parked it"
> (7 seconds) Person A-> Person C: "Where did you park the van?"
> (1.5 seconds) Person C -> Person A "Its behind the stage"
> (7 seconds) Person A -> Person B "Can you go get the cables from the
> truck since you are closest"
>
> Total Verizon overhead connection time: 24 seconds
> This long delay is due to the person having to end then intiate calls
> to different people. The 7 seconds is were a new connection is made.
>

> I am not a Nextel or a Verizon advocate. I want people to be educated
> in what PTT is and what it is used for and how it should work. If you
> do not need a responsive PTT, by all means, use Verizon. I do for my
> personal cell phone. If you need a responsive PTT, use Nextel.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:29:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The 2 second contact time is fairly consistent; as long as you don't get the
unavailable tone when you start the conversation. or in the middle of a
conversation; causing you to drop connection.

The key timing cycle here is how many minutes does it take to get an
understandable 5 second voice exchange with the other party.

VZ may personify be the Turtle and the Hare revisited, and we all know the
outcome of that parable......

>I needed to change your numbers a little..........see below. I believe
>this is mot accurate........... and you forgot to take into account that
>the Nextel failure rate is very high compared that to Verizon. Your 2
>second intervals are at optimum performance.................NOT!!!!!
>LMFAO
>
> <infinitisound@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> .
>>
>> ---------------------Nextel
>> simulation--------------------------------------
>> (2 seconds) Person A -> Person B : "Where did you park the truck?"
>> (2 seconds) Person B- > Person A: "I dont know, Ask person C because
>> he parked it"
>> (2 seconds) Person A-> Person C: "Where did you park the van?"
>> (2 seconds) Person C -> Person A "Its behind the stage"
>> (2 seconds) Person A -> Person B "Can you go get the cables from the
>> truck since you are closest"
>>
>> Total Nextel overhead connection time: 10 seconds
>>
>> ---------------------Verizon
>> simulation--------------------------------------
>> (7 seconds) Person A -> Person B : "Where did you park the truck?"
>> (1.5 seconds) Person B- > Person A: "I dont know, Ask person C because
>> he parked it"
>> (7 seconds) Person A-> Person C: "Where did you park the van?"
>> (1.5 seconds) Person C -> Person A "Its behind the stage"
>> (7 seconds) Person A -> Person B "Can you go get the cables from the
>> truck since you are closest"
>>
>> Total Verizon overhead connection time: 24 seconds
>> This long delay is due to the person having to end then intiate calls
>> to different people. The 7 seconds is were a new connection is made.
>>

>> I am not a Nextel or a Verizon advocate. I want people to be educated
>> in what PTT is and what it is used for and how it should work. If you
>> do not need a responsive PTT, by all means, use Verizon. I do for my
>> personal cell phone. If you need a responsive PTT, use Nextel.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 7:28:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Hasn't Happened Yet.......3 Days and not one garbled dropped connection.
Verizon finally got their act together. Can You Hear Me Now!!! And on top
of that I can actually make a clear intelligible phone call. Can't do that
with Nextel.

<dalite01@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> The 2 second contact time is fairly consistent; as long as you don't get
> the unavailable tone when you start the conversation. or in the middle of
> a conversation; causing you to drop connection.
>
> The key timing cycle here is how many minutes does it take to get an
> understandable 5 second voice exchange with the other party.
>
> VZ may personify be the Turtle and the Hare revisited, and we all know the
> outcome of that parable......
>
> "Jimmie James" <james@james.com> wrote in message
>>I needed to change your numbers a little..........see below. I believe
>>this is mot accurate........... and you forgot to take into account that
>>the Nextel failure rate is very high compared that to Verizon. Your 2
>>second intervals are at optimum performance.................NOT!!!!! LMFAO
>>
>> <infinitisound@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> .
>>>
>>> ---------------------Nextel
>>> simulation--------------------------------------
>>> (2 seconds) Person A -> Person B : "Where did you park the truck?"
>>> (2 seconds) Person B- > Person A: "I dont know, Ask person C because
>>> he parked it"
>>> (2 seconds) Person A-> Person C: "Where did you park the van?"
>>> (2 seconds) Person C -> Person A "Its behind the stage"
>>> (2 seconds) Person A -> Person B "Can you go get the cables from the
>>> truck since you are closest"
>>>
>>> Total Nextel overhead connection time: 10 seconds
>>>
>>> ---------------------Verizon
>>> simulation--------------------------------------
>>> (7 seconds) Person A -> Person B : "Where did you park the truck?"
>>> (1.5 seconds) Person B- > Person A: "I dont know, Ask person C because
>>> he parked it"
>>> (7 seconds) Person A-> Person C: "Where did you park the van?"
>>> (1.5 seconds) Person C -> Person A "Its behind the stage"
>>> (7 seconds) Person A -> Person B "Can you go get the cables from the
>>> truck since you are closest"
>>>
>>> Total Verizon overhead connection time: 24 seconds
>>> This long delay is due to the person having to end then intiate calls
>>> to different people. The 7 seconds is were a new connection is made.
>>>

>>> I am not a Nextel or a Verizon advocate. I want people to be educated
>>> in what PTT is and what it is used for and how it should work. If you
>>> do not need a responsive PTT, by all means, use Verizon. I do for my
>>> personal cell phone. If you need a responsive PTT, use Nextel.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 7:31:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

WELL SAID...........Could not have said it better. Go VERIZON.... 2Thumbs
Up... Can you hear me now!!!!

> [...]
>
> This is probably why Snipers dont use short barrelled full automatic
> weapons, and why Hollywood insists on showing a scene where the villian
> alswua screws a surpressor on a wheel gun. A single, well placed
> projectile is far more effective than causing eventual medical hardship on
> the tatrget due to lead poisioning from the dust in the air created by
> flying bullets from a full auto lead dispensing system; just because it is
> faster......
>
> I found that I can forgo a lot of showmanship for a little dependability;
> but that seems to be a foreign idea in today's society.
>
> It's kinda like the old Bull explaining to the yearling that you don't run
> out in the pasture to service one cow; you walk down there and service
> them all.
>
> Your Mileage May Vary........................

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 9:52:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

That is not at all what I stated. Please read my post carefully. I only
stated a fact, that you can use Nextel DC anywhere you can use Nextel Cell,
but not the same with Verizon. I offered no opinion as to which I would
rather use...
"Jeff P" <jeffpNO@SPAMruralramp.net> wrote in message

> "Zman53" <zman53@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > One thing to remember with Nextel Vs. Verizon. Nextel Direct Connect
> > works
> > everywhere Nextel Cell works. The same cannot be said with Verizon.
They
> > still have analog sites around the country and their PTW requires a
> > digital
> > connection...
> >

> So you are saying you would rather have "No Service" from Nextel than to
be
> able to make an analog call in remote areas on Verizon?
>
> -Jeff

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 9:57:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I'm surprised you're able to make an intelligible phone call on any
system...

> Hasn't Happened Yet.......3 Days and not one garbled dropped connection.
> Verizon finally got their act together. Can You Hear Me Now!!! And on
top
> of that I can actually make a clear intelligible phone call. Can't do
that
> with Nextel.
>

> <dalite01@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > The 2 second contact time is fairly consistent; as long as you don't get
> > the unavailable tone when you start the conversation. or in the middle
of
> > a conversation; causing you to drop connection.
> >
> > The key timing cycle here is how many minutes does it take to get an
> > understandable 5 second voice exchange with the other party.
> >
> > VZ may personify be the Turtle and the Hare revisited, and we all know
the
> > outcome of that parable......
> >
> > "Jimmie James" <james@james.com> wrote in message
> >>I needed to change your numbers a little..........see below. I believe
> >>this is mot accurate........... and you forgot to take into account that
> >>the Nextel failure rate is very high compared that to Verizon. Your 2
> >>second intervals are at optimum performance.................NOT!!!!!
LMFAO

> >> <infinitisound@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> .

June 21, 2005 10:18:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

infinitisound@yahoo.com wrote:

> Verizon's PTT is the about the same speed as you calling someone up on
> the cell phone.

I have noticed in the past 6 months or so that it only takes 3~4 seconds
to have the phone on the other end actually ring after I press send.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 11:50:58 PM

"Jimmie James" <james@james.com> wrote in news:eNKte.5577$R6.5255@trndny04:

> CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!! 2 Thumbs Up for Verizon!!!

One more question....please.

Why would anyone, on any company, use a PTT walkie talkie, even if it
worked perfect, holding a perfectly-great-working FULL DUPLEX telephone in
their hands with a built-in speakerphone?? Is this some kind of retro
novelty or trend-setting statement?

I've been using PTT on ham and 2-way radios since 1957. I was 11, by the
way. I don't see why anyone would want to use it...

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:04:19 AM

> "Jimmie James" <james@james.com> wrote in
>
> > CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!! 2 Thumbs Up for Verizon!!!
> >

> One more question....please.
>
> Why would anyone, on any company, use a PTT walkie talkie, even if it
> worked perfect, holding a perfectly-great-working FULL DUPLEX telephone in
> their hands with a built-in speakerphone?? Is this some kind of retro
> novelty or trend-setting statement?
>
> I've been using PTT on ham and 2-way radios since 1957. I was 11, by the
> way. I don't see why anyone would want to use it...

Try this- you need to contact an associate to get numbers for a presentation
and you are not at your desk. You contact your associate (who is also not at
his desk) and he says he'll get them for you as soon as he returns. Once at
his desk, he contacts you to get specifics and contacts you an hour later
with the numbers.

In the cellular world, you have each burned a minimum of 4 minutes of call
time to accomplish this simple task. Multiply this by a fair number of
these calls a month and you have effectively burned through most of your
plan minutes. Last I knew, Nextel billed PTT in 6 second increments, which
means that the 4 minutes of cellular could be as little as 1 minute of PTT
time or less. Much more cost effective.

Now, take the same situation, except that your associate is at his desk and
you need the numbers absolutely ASAP. He takes the time to find the numbers
while you wait.

In the cellular world, you are again spending minutes, only this time most
of them are spent on an unproductive hold. With PTT, your phone is only
tied up and billed when you are actually using it.

Finally, take the scenario a step further and you have to report the numbers
to a group of company executives (remember, you are not at your desk). In
the cellular world, you can make a number of individual calls to convey the
information. With PTT, you can make a single announcement.

Despite your own lack of understanding of the efficiencies, it is actually a
very effective tool in the business world. The fact that the technology is
not cutting edge has no bearing on its usefullness.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:26:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

For the same reason, Police, Firemen, Drivers, industrial workers,
security guards do.

Ask your self why they don't call each other up on speaker phones.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:31:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Very well said but from the financial side of things, Verizon attempts
to compete by having free in network calls. Nextel has unlimited
direct connect. So the competitive business makes the prices go down.

I think the problem with Verizon PTT is people don't understand the
need for PTT. People that think Verizon PTT is adequte are people that
don't really need PTT. In my business, I can get things done much much
faster with Nextel PTT than any other type of service.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:01:11 AM

> Very well said but from the financial side of things, Verizon attempts
> to compete by having free in network calls. Nextel has unlimited
> direct connect. So the competitive business makes the prices go down.

All good points. I threw in the financial stuff to make part of the point.
The real message was the amount of time being spent on the phone.

> I think the problem with Verizon PTT is people don't understand the
> need for PTT. People that think Verizon PTT is adequte are people that
> don't really need PTT. In my business, I can get things done much much
> faster with Nextel PTT than any other type of service.

Agreed. The last thing I need is to hang on the phone for something that
takes a few seconds to do with PTT. The ability to contact a group with the
push of a button is also a nice feature. Anything less than instant
connection is not acceptable.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:28:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Ok, I have had the Verizon PTT for three days. The PTT works flawlessly.
No garbled transmissions yet. Works everywhere that I have went over the
last three days. Phila, NJ and DE. Can't say that for the Nextel I had for
the last 5 years. I am very satisfied with the PTT and recommend that all
Nextel users give the Verizon 15 day trial a try. I believe you too will
not be disappointed and will make the switch. Don't knock it till you try
it!!!!!

"Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
news:p hyte.21723$qr1.8628@trndny07...
> Well I finally made the switch from Nextel to Verizon. Here is the
> deal......
>
> Verizon's initial connect time is approximately 2 Seconds then nearly
> instant after that. I can use it in my house. Big plus over Nextel as I
> would have no service displayed on the screen most of the time. Verizon
> PTT is by far HANDS DOWN Clearer than Nextel.
>
> 2 THUMBS UP to Verizon. Great job. IMHO once Verizon advertises their PTT
> and people see that it is much improved over their first rollout I believe
> that Nextel will lose market share quickly. Go VERIZON!!!

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:28:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The Bottom line is Nextel cell service has been getting worse every year ( I
had them for ten ) Most people I talk to with Nextel state that the novelty
of it has gone away. With the price of cell minutes going down using the
cell part of the phone is more logical. Sorry Nextel but I tried and I for
one cannot take CALL FAILED or USER BUSY IN DATA no more... - Me
"Jimmy D" <james@anon.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I have had the Verizon PTT for three days. The PTT works flawlessly.
> No garbled transmissions yet. Works everywhere that I have went over the
> last three days. Phila, NJ and DE. Can't say that for the Nextel I had
> for the last 5 years. I am very satisfied with the PTT and recommend that
> all Nextel users give the Verizon 15 day trial a try. I believe you too
> will not be disappointed and will make the switch. Don't knock it till
> you try it!!!!!
>

> "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
> news:p hyte.21723$qr1.8628@trndny07...
>> Well I finally made the switch from Nextel to Verizon. Here is the
>> deal......
>>
>> Verizon's initial connect time is approximately 2 Seconds then nearly
>> instant after that. I can use it in my house. Big plus over Nextel as I
>> would have no service displayed on the screen most of the time. Verizon
>> PTT is by far HANDS DOWN Clearer than Nextel.
>>
>> 2 THUMBS UP to Verizon. Great job. IMHO once Verizon advertises their
>> PTT and people see that it is much improved over their first rollout I
>> believe that Nextel will lose market share quickly. Go VERIZON!!!

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:28:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

-- snip --
Don't knock it till you try
it!!!!!
-- snip ---

I did try it so I will knock it. 15 seconds connect time just does not
cut it for people who need a true PTT.
The verizon ptt is not meant for serious customers who need a true PTT.
Verizon knows this too and thats why you don't see commercials and
marketing campaigns that show off the PTT.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:28:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

infinitisound@yahoo.com wrote:
> -- snip --
> Don't knock it till you try
> it!!!!!
> -- snip ---
>
> I did try it so I will knock it. 15 seconds connect time
> just does not cut it for people who need a true PTT.
> The verizon ptt is not meant for serious customers who
> need a true PTT. Verizon knows this too and thats why
> you don't see commercials and marketing campaigns that
> show off the PTT.

Now that you mention it, I'd forgotten about VZW PTT
after the first go round on this group. I can't remember
seeing a single ad.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:28:45 AM

Big Bob wrote:

> I am completely confused. Taking into account all the different ways
> that one uses PTT, what kind of business do you have to be in where 15
> seconds are a life or death matter?

Nextel markets to municipalities and other political organizations that run
emergency services (for example, fire/police departments). In such cases,
you'd better believe 15 seconds can be the difference between life and death.

Now, I'm pretty sure Verizon is aiming more at business customers, and in
99.9% of the cases where businesses are involved you're probably right.
However, I think 15 seconds is an awfully long time to wait to make a PTT
connection. Unacceptably long, FWIW, in which case my choice would be
Nextel, or maybe Sprint. I don't know how Sprint is, but they're supposed to
be much better than Verizon. My brother just switched to Sprint and got a
ReadyLink phone, but AFAIK he doesn't know anyone else with one, so he can't
test their PTT... :)

> Do whatever you want, but understand that you are using an incredible
> technology. The fact that either of the PTT technologies even work
> without any visible wiring is a miracle in and of itself.

I agree. :>

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:28:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

--- snip ---
Taking into account all the different ways
that one uses PTT, what kind of business do you have to be in where 15
seconds are a life or death matter?
Need sales numbers from an associate for a presentation? Need to let
your secretary know you will be tied up in a meeting all afternoon?
.... etc
--- snip ---

One of my points is PTT is not for everyone. People that utilize PTT
like that there is practically no delay.

It's simply a feature that people like. Imagine that you had a TV that
took 15 deconds to change a channel the first time you click the
remote. Some people could live with it, some people can't. Just
like some people insist on high speed Internet access and others don't.
There are instances where people want to communicate in near real time.

If you don't need PTT, then get a Verizon phone. I have one for
personal use. If you want a responsive PTT, get Nextel.

An important issue of this discussion is that Verizon's PTT is not as
good as Nextel's. Whether PTT is a useful thing or not is up to the
user.

When chosing a provider, one should consider everything including
*coverage in the area where you use it
*price plans
*PTT quality
*cell phone
*connection reliablility
*phone features and durability
.... and the list goes on.

My advice is for the user to be educated. I don't like when people
believe Nextel's PTT is as good as Verizon's. It is not. Try before
you buy!
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:42:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

However, knowing the spectrum that Nextel uses for their service is within
the the 800 MHz public Safety Band, and the ever expanding list of official
complaints to the FCC by Public Safety pertaining to interferene caused by
Nextel.........

I don't see this cause of RF interference to Public Safety to be a good
thing; especially if it keeps public Safety officers from doing thieir job
efficiently; or is the cause of loss of life.........

The 15 seconds (and more) delay is offten caused by lost Public Safety comms
that were effectively jammed by adjacent Nextel exchanges - And you are so
correct is stating it is a life and death matter.

---------------- Much S N I P P A G E ----------------------
> Big Bob wrote:
>
> > Nextel markets to municipalities and other political organizations that
> > run
> emergency services (for example, fire/police departments). In such cases,
> you'd better believe 15 seconds can be the difference between life and
> death.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:53:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

There is no question of whether VZ has the speed of connect that Nextel
does.

As long as the build-out is adequate for good 800MHz radio coms, Nextel has
provided intelligible results in some areas.

If there is a need for PTT (or Cellular) services where intelligible results
all the time, the VZ build-out is consistently more dense than Nextel.

I want my weapon to fire every time; even if I have to take the time to cock
it before use. Just shooting blindly into the air (in order to get the
first shot [Nextel] ) isn't my idea of self-preservation.

In a large city, where both communicationg parties are consistently under
tha signal umbrella, Nextel does an acceptable job over 50% of the time.
However, in real-life situations, the "horseshoes and hangrenades" rule does
not apply apply.

And then there is the Nextel vs Southern Linc issue that we have to suffer
through in the Deep South. There is nothing worse than having 5 bars of
signal and getting a No Service message on the display because of the
screwing that Southern Linc got from Nextel in past business dealings.
There tends to be even wider non-usage areas for Nextel Customers in areas
where Southern Linc is using the ssame Spectrum on their Iden phones
service.

> --- snip ---
> Taking into account all the different ways
> that one uses PTT, what kind of business do you have to be in where 15
> seconds are a life or death matter?
> Need sales numbers from an associate for a presentation? Need to let
> your secretary know you will be tied up in a meeting all afternoon?
> ... etc
> --- snip ---
>
> One of my points is PTT is not for everyone. People that utilize PTT
> like that there is practically no delay.
>
> It's simply a feature that people like. Imagine that you had a TV that
> took 15 deconds to change a channel the first time you click the
> remote. Some people could live with it, some people can't. Just
> like some people insist on high speed Internet access and others don't.
> There are instances where people want to communicate in near real time.
>
> If you don't need PTT, then get a Verizon phone. I have one for
> personal use. If you want a responsive PTT, get Nextel.
>
> An important issue of this discussion is that Verizon's PTT is not as
> good as Nextel's. Whether PTT is a useful thing or not is up to the
> user.
>
> When chosing a provider, one should consider everything including
> *coverage in the area where you use it
> *price plans
> *PTT quality
> *cell phone
> *connection reliablility
> *phone features and durability
> ... and the list goes on.
>
> My advice is for the user to be educated. I don't like when people
> believe Nextel's PTT is as good as Verizon's. It is not. Try before
> you buy!

June 22, 2005 1:05:24 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Big Bob wrote:
>
>> I am completely confused. Taking into account all the different ways
>> that one uses PTT, what kind of business do you have to be in where 15
>> seconds are a life or death matter?
>

> Nextel markets to municipalities and other political organizations that
> run emergency services (for example, fire/police departments). In such
> cases, you'd better believe 15 seconds can be the difference between
> life and death.

I guess those municipalities don't ask many questions. Nextel forgets
little stuff like emergency generators at many of their sites.

We were recently working at a location that happened to have a Nextel
site in the rear of the property. There was a local power failure. The
building we were in had emergency generators so we were able to keep
working. A few hours after the power went off the Nextel guy showed up
to check out why the site was down. He had the door propped open so we
wandered over. He said it took so long for him to get there because
there were only two people who covered a very large area. There was no
generator and he said that he could go get a trailer mounted unit but it
wasn't a company requirement. The site only had a couple cheepo lead
acid batteries that were sloppily connected. He said they would keep the
site up for 15 minutes. We asked him if this was a typical setup and he
said it was.

> Now, I'm pretty sure Verizon is aiming more at business customers, and
> in 99.9% of the cases where businesses are involved you're probably
> right. However, I think 15 seconds is an awfully long time to wait to
> make a PTT connection. Unacceptably long, FWIW, in which case my choice
> would be Nextel, or maybe Sprint. I don't know how Sprint is, but
> they're supposed to be much better than Verizon. My brother just
> switched to Sprint and got a ReadyLink phone, but AFAIK he doesn't know
> anyone else with one, so he can't test their PTT... :)
>
>> Do whatever you want, but understand that you are using an incredible
>> technology. The fact that either of the PTT technologies even work
>> without any visible wiring is a miracle in and of itself.
>

> I agree. :>

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:48:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

dalite01@bellsouth.net wrote:
> However, knowing the spectrum that Nextel uses for their service is within
> the the 800 MHz public Safety Band, and the ever expanding list of official
> complaints to the FCC by Public Safety pertaining to interferene caused by
> Nextel.........

But they're switching frequencies because of that, no?

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:49:55 PM

George wrote:
> Steve Sobol wrote:
>
>> Big Bob wrote:
>>
>>> I am completely confused. Taking into account all the different ways
>>> that one uses PTT, what kind of business do you have to be in where
>>> 15 seconds are a life or death matter?
>>

>> Nextel markets to municipalities and other political organizations
>> that run emergency services (for example, fire/police departments). In
>> such cases, you'd better believe 15 seconds can be the difference
>> between life and death.
>

> I guess those municipalities don't ask many questions. Nextel forgets
> little stuff like emergency generators at many of their sites.

I don't know how many municipalities have actually SIGNED UP with Nextel;
I'm just saying Nextel markets to them.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:58:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

This is why Nextel is going through re-banding and is giving up their 800
MHz spectrum.
> However, knowing the spectrum that Nextel uses for their service is within
> the the 800 MHz public Safety Band, and the ever expanding list of
official
> complaints to the FCC by Public Safety pertaining to interferene caused by
> Nextel.........
>
> I don't see this cause of RF interference to Public Safety to be a good
> thing; especially if it keeps public Safety officers from doing thieir job
> efficiently; or is the cause of loss of life.........
>
> The 15 seconds (and more) delay is offten caused by lost Public Safety
comms
> that were effectively jammed by adjacent Nextel exchanges - And you are so
> correct is stating it is a life and death matter.
>
> ---------------- Much S N I P P A G E ----------------------
> > Big Bob wrote:
> >
> > > Nextel markets to municipalities and other political organizations
that
> > > run
> > emergency services (for example, fire/police departments). In such
cases,
> > you'd better believe 15 seconds can be the difference between life and
> > death.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:44:50 PM

On 21 Jun 2005 20:26:31 -0700, infinitisound@yahoo.com wrote:

> For the same reason, Police, Firemen, Drivers, industrial workers,
> security guards do.
>
> Ask your self why they don't call each other up on speaker phones.

Actually many police officers do carry cell phones now since they often need
to call citizens or businesses, and want to avoid the scanner freaks who
monitor the police radios for "hot" happenings.

Not every PD has the new digital radio systems.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:56:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

-- snip --
You need to be a little more informed before you make false statements
like that
-- snip --

I tried it April 25, 2005 and several times since then. I am very
informed. You need to read the previous posts in this group before YOU
accuse people.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.cellular.verizo...
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:01:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

-- snip --
Morale of the story- why spend longer to set up a one way connection
when
you can have a full duplex connection in less time? PTT on Verizon has
no
benefit.
-- snip --

You are absolutely right. The 15 second wait is totally not worth it
if you can just pickup and dial and have full duplex.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:03:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Actually, Nextel is starting to use some spill-over in the 900 MHz band, but
they will still be utilizing the Public Safety spectrun for their main
traffic.

They had the chance to stop interfering with public safety, and took the
easy way out.

> This is why Nextel is going through re-banding and is giving up their 800
> MHz spectrum.
> <dalite01@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> However, knowing the spectrum that Nextel uses for their service is
>> within
>> the the 800 MHz public Safety Band, and the ever expanding list of
> official
>> complaints to the FCC by Public Safety pertaining to interferene caused
>> by
>> Nextel.........
>>
>> I don't see this cause of RF interference to Public Safety to be a good
>> thing; especially if it keeps public Safety officers from doing thieir
>> job
>> efficiently; or is the cause of loss of life.........
>>
>> The 15 seconds (and more) delay is offten caused by lost Public Safety
> comms
>> that were effectively jammed by adjacent Nextel exchanges - And you are
>> so
>> correct is stating it is a life and death matter.
>>
>> ---------------- Much S N I P P A G E ----------------------

> that
>> > emergency services (for example, fire/police departments). In such
> cases,
>> > you'd better believe 15 seconds can be the difference between life and
>> > death.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:03:35 AM

> Actually, Nextel is starting to use some spill-over in the 900 MHz band,
but
> they will still be utilizing the Public Safety spectrun for their main
> traffic.
>
> They had the chance to stop interfering with public safety, and took the
> easy way out.

I don't know where you've been, but Nextel has agreed to give up its 800MHz
spectrum. They did that quite a while ago. They have already started
rebanding and will be moving to 1.9 GHz in the very near future. I don't
remember the cost to the company, but it has quoted in the billions of
dollars, as they will bear the entire cost of any modifcations needed by the
Public Safety agencies involved.

What is this 'easy way out' you talk about?
!