how do i stop the windows messanger update popup as i do
not use this messanger and evry time i start my pc up it
pops please help!

Greetings,

Firstly, remove your saved Passport login in Windows XP, so it can't automatically sign you
in to the service (you can readd this back in the future if you like), click the Start
Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select
your account name, and then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click
'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport)
entry and click 'Remove'.

If the window is still open with the upgrade question, say No, it should now stop trying.

Then open up Windows Messenger (click Start, then click Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
choose the Tools menu, then Options, then Preferences tab, uncheck 'Run this Program when
Windows starts', 'Allow this program to run in the background' and click OK. Then
right-click on its icon in the notification area/system tray (by the clock) and click Exit.

It shouldn't bother you again.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert