1905FP Brightness Solution/Fix...

I am writing this for anyone out there who has a 1905fp and is
dissapointed with the gamma/brightness. I bought the 1905FP about a
month ago and have been messing with it ever since I got it, and have
finally come up with a pretty good work-around solution.

The moniter's default settings seem to be way off the mark when it
comes to gamma and brightness. The first thing you need to do is do a
windows update when you first install it and download the optional
hardware option that should come up: 1905FP.icm color profile.

Here's the first problem (there are others that I will get to). The ICC
profile is wrong!! So you have to tweak it. Open up Adobe Gamma, choose
control panel, and load the 1905FP.icm profile. DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING
EXCEPT THE PREFURRED GAMMA. Type in 2.65. This will compensate for the
monitor's washed out default internal gamma (which seems to be a major
flaw in it's design.) Save it as a different name (so you can always go
back and change the original if you need to.)

NEXT. Go into the monitor's OSD menu and make sure the Brightness is
set to 100 (default setting). Then go into color settings and go to
User Preset. This is where we compensate for the monitors over the top,
eye blistering brightness. set the colors to this setting: R=85, G=85,
B=80. This lowers the brightness down to a more usable setting. Adjust
to your liking, of course.

Also, as a last check-up. Go to your Display properties > Settings >
Advanced > Color MAnagment, and make sure that the ICC profile you
saved out from before is the default profile. If it is, remove all
others, if there are any there, and restart just to make sure it set's
itself as the default.

Hope this helps.

It's still not totally perfect, but it's definitely a good solution
while you save up for a more color calibrated monitor. (Which is what
I'm doing.)

--
CP333
5 answers Last reply

    I am unfamiliar with "Adobe Gamma"
    Is this part of a larger product, or separate?
    More info Please.

    "gg" <noway@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I am unfamiliar with "Adobe Gamma"
    > Is this part of a larger product, or separate?
    > More info Please.

    It's a part of Adobe's Photoshop products; but, I've had just as good
    luck with the free WiziWYG:
    http://www.praxisoft.com/pages/products.wiziwyg.html

    It is usually installed with Adobe Photoshop (and possibly elements).
    Perhaps the original poster could put his updated profile on the web for
    those that don't have Gamma.

    CP333 wrote:
    > I am writing this for anyone out there who has a 1905fp and is
    > dissapointed with the gamma/brightness. I bought the 1905FP about a
    > month ago and have been messing with it ever since I got it, and have
    > finally come up with a pretty good work-around solution.
    >
    > The moniter's default settings seem to be way off the mark when it
    > comes to gamma and brightness. The first thing you need to do is do a
    > windows update when you first install it and download the optional
    > hardware option that should come up: 1905FP.icm color profile.
    >
    > Here's the first problem (there are others that I will get to). The ICC
    > profile is wrong!! So you have to tweak it. Open up Adobe Gamma, choose
    > control panel, and load the 1905FP.icm profile. DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING
    > EXCEPT THE PREFURRED GAMMA. Type in 2.65. This will compensate for the
    > monitor's washed out default internal gamma (which seems to be a major
    > flaw in it's design.) Save it as a different name (so you can always go
    > back and change the original if you need to.)
    >
    > NEXT. Go into the monitor's OSD menu and make sure the Brightness is
    > set to 100 (default setting). Then go into color settings and go to
    > User Preset. This is where we compensate for the monitors over the top,
    > eye blistering brightness. set the colors to this setting: R=85, G=85,
    > B=80. This lowers the brightness down to a more usable setting. Adjust
    > to your liking, of course.
    >
    > Also, as a last check-up. Go to your Display properties > Settings >
    > Advanced > Color MAnagment, and make sure that the ICC profile you
    > saved out from before is the default profile. If it is, remove all
    > others, if there are any there, and restart just to make sure it set's
    > itself as the default.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > It's still not totally perfect, but it's definitely a good solution
    > while you save up for a more color calibrated monitor. (Which is what
    > I'm doing.)

    This is very heroic but the essential point is that poor design
    or/and workmanship is not acceptable. These corrections should
    have been made during the engineering stages, followed by pre-
    release testing and even some critical reviews. The end-user
    should not need to have been subjected to such tribulations
    unless, of course, there is an academic exercise involved. And
    for this, there should be a just award that is more than just
    mere satisfaction. I'd return it along with a blistering letter
    along the chain of command.

    "GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message

    > CP333 wrote:
    >> I am writing this for anyone out there who has a 1905fp and is
    >> dissapointed with the gamma/brightness. I bought the 1905FP about a
    >> month ago and have been messing with it ever since I got it, and have
    >> finally come up with a pretty good work-around solution. The moniter's
    >> default settings seem to be way off the mark when it
    >> comes to gamma and brightness. The first thing you need to do is do a
    >> windows update when you first install it and download the optional
    >> hardware option that should come up: 1905FP.icm color profile. Here's the
    >> first problem (there are others that I will get to). The ICC
    >> profile is wrong!! So you have to tweak it. Open up Adobe Gamma, choose
    >> control panel, and load the 1905FP.icm profile. DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING
    >> EXCEPT THE PREFURRED GAMMA. Type in 2.65. This will compensate for the
    >> monitor's washed out default internal gamma (which seems to be a major
    >> flaw in it's design.) Save it as a different name (so you can always go
    >> back and change the original if you need to.)
    >>
    >> NEXT. Go into the monitor's OSD menu and make sure the Brightness is
    >> set to 100 (default setting). Then go into color settings and go to
    >> User Preset. This is where we compensate for the monitors over the top,
    >> eye blistering brightness. set the colors to this setting: R=85, G=85,
    >> B=80. This lowers the brightness down to a more usable setting. Adjust
    >> to your liking, of course.
    >>
    >> Also, as a last check-up. Go to your Display properties > Settings >
    >> Advanced > Color MAnagment, and make sure that the ICC profile you
    >> saved out from before is the default profile. If it is, remove all
    >> others, if there are any there, and restart just to make sure it set's
    >> itself as the default.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> It's still not totally perfect, but it's definitely a good solution
    >> while you save up for a more color calibrated monitor. (Which is what
    >> I'm doing.)
    >
    > This is very heroic but the essential point is that poor design
    > or/and workmanship is not acceptable. These corrections should
    > have been made during the engineering stages, followed by pre-
    > release testing and even some critical reviews. The end-user
    > should not need to have been subjected to such tribulations
    > unless, of course, there is an academic exercise involved. And
    > for this, there should be a just award that is more than just
    > mere satisfaction. I'd return it along with a blistering letter
    > along the chain of command.

    He may want to return it as defective, as this is not a common complaint in
    this newsgroup. You would think we'd here the complaints more often.

    Tom

Dell Gamma Computers