XP Start Up Item List Question

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Pardon this redundant question but I'm going brain dead. I've forgotten how to remove listed items in msconfig start up list. I want to remove a couple of items to avoid having to use a selective start-up. Thanks for your help

/I know this has been asked and answered a dozen times - apologies.

<b> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol - W.C. Fields </b>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
???????????????

RUN/MSCONFIG/ Click on STARTUP tab... UNCHECK what you don't want....... Reboot........ you will get this little message, Check do not show me again blah blah.... done!

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
That leaves you with a selective start-up. I'm looking to remove the items from the menu - not uncheck them - and be able to use a normal start-up.

<b> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol - W.C. Fields </b>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
ok not sure wtf your saying...... BY unchecking them it just doesn't load them at BOOTUP.... you can still use them obviously... also most programs in there settings have something that would say "run when windows starts... simply find it and uncheck it.

what's wrong with a selective start up anywayz?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Check this <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=34395#34395" target="_new">thread & link</A> for some discussion on why normal start up is prefered.

I don't see how 'selective' startup is a problem... in fact it says:

When you have deselected an item in MSCONFIG, you will be starting in "Selective startup" mode. This can be seen under the "General" tab. Working in "Selective startup" mode is perfectly acceptable - I do and don't have a problem. Warning: If you subsequently decide to choose "Normal startup", all disabled items will be re-enabled

Simply avoid checking off 'Normal Startup' and you'll be fine. It also explains how to edit the registry to remove those items from the list. There's no advantage to running in Normal rather than Selective.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>