Air and sea defense

It sure was nice to download the v1.29f patch and see my fighters start to
shoot down enemy planes. But so far, I have never seen a SAM battery do
anything. Is there an animated graphic with a SAM firing? Do I see/hear
anything? Maybe they just miss a lot, or the enemy hasn't flown right over
them, but I've never seen anything.

And, I have the same question about the coastal fortress defense against
sea units. Do I see/hear anything when they fire? It seems like I've seen
enemy units weaken when they sailed by, but I never know if they're
working. Thanks!

"barefoot_tom" <barefoot_tom@spamfree.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It sure was nice to download the v1.29f patch and see my fighters start to
> shoot down enemy planes. But so far, I have never seen a SAM battery do
> anything. Is there an animated graphic with a SAM firing? Do I see/hear
> anything? Maybe they just miss a lot, or the enemy hasn't flown right over
> them, but I've never seen anything.
>
> And, I have the same question about the coastal fortress defense against
> sea units. Do I see/hear anything when they fire? It seems like I've seen
> enemy units weaken when they sailed by, but I never know if they're
> working. Thanks!

They work but don't show the animation or sound unless they get a hit.

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> "barefoot_tom" <barefoot_tom@spamfree.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> It sure was nice to download the v1.29f patch and see my fighters start
>> shoot down enemy planes. But so far, I have never seen a SAM battery do
>> anything. Is there an animated graphic with a SAM firing? Do I see/hear
>> anything? Maybe they just miss a lot, or the enemy hasn't flown right
>> over
>> them, but I've never seen anything.
>>
>> And, I have the same question about the coastal fortress defense against
>> sea units. Do I see/hear anything when they fire? It seems like I've seen
>> enemy units weaken when they sailed by, but I never know if they're
>> working. Thanks!
>
> They work but don't show the animation or sound unless they get a hit.

Which rarely happens.

I _think_ I've seen a SAM fire once in the years I've been playing
Conquests, used to see them all the time in Civ II, but I've _never_ seen a
coastal defence fire at anything.

--
Cheers
Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:20:55 -0700, "Roger T."
<rogertra@highspeedplus.com> wrote:

>"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "barefoot_tom" <barefoot_tom@spamfree.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> It sure was nice to download the v1.29f patch and see my fighters start
>>> shoot down enemy planes. But so far, I have never seen a SAM battery do
>>> anything. Is there an animated graphic with a SAM firing? Do I see/hear
>>> anything? Maybe they just miss a lot, or the enemy hasn't flown right
>>> over
>>> them, but I've never seen anything.
>>>
>>> And, I have the same question about the coastal fortress defense against
>>> sea units. Do I see/hear anything when they fire? It seems like I've seen
>>> enemy units weaken when they sailed by, but I never know if they're
>>> working. Thanks!
>>
>> They work but don't show the animation or sound unless they get a hit.
>
>Which rarely happens.
>
>I _think_ I've seen a SAM fire once in the years I've been playing
>Conquests, used to see them all the time in Civ II, but I've _never_ seen a
>coastal defence fire at anything.

SAM fire is hard to spot - it isn't very dramatic. Coastal defense
is even harder to see -- or hear. The requirement to move past the
defense (two squares adjacent to the city, I believe) makes it even
less likely to show up.

The Conquests SAM units -- units with air defense values -- OTOH,
show up nicely. They are, it seems, a lot more powerful than the city
improvement.

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:57:52 -0500, Jeffery S. Jones
<jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:20:55 -0700, "Roger T."
><rogertra@highspeedplus.com> wrote:
>

>>"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "barefoot_tom" <barefoot_tom@spamfree.yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> They work but don't show the animation or sound unless they get a hit.
>>
>>Which rarely happens.
>>
>>I _think_ I've seen a SAM fire once in the years I've been playing
>>Conquests, used to see them all the time in Civ II, but I've _never_ seen a
>>coastal defence fire at anything.
>
> SAM fire is hard to spot - it isn't very dramatic. Coastal defense
>is even harder to see -- or hear. The requirement to move past the
>defense (two squares adjacent to the city, I believe) makes it even
>less likely to show up.
>
> The Conquests SAM units -- units with air defense values -- OTOH,
>show up nicely. They are, it seems, a lot more powerful than the city
>improvement.

I play CIV3 Conquests and just finished a game where I was attacked by
many bombers from several countries at the same time. I observed that
the SAM city improvement and the Mobile SAMs did work... sometimes.

The planes just sorta stop and disappear over the city when hit by a
sam and what I can only describe as a bout 4 sprinkles appear to jump
from the city to hit the enemy plane. The sam battery does work
several times in the same turn, but I don't know about the mobile
sams. They don't work on all attacks, but I quickly realized that
many mobile sams in the same city or surrounding it are essential if
you are under massive enemy bomber attack.

For what its worth.

Buck