Civ3 doesn't start properly

When I go to play Civilization III (Game Of The Year Edition, ver.
1.29f), the game will display the splash screen and then not do a
thing. Until I bring up the task manager and kill a process, that is!
Doesn't matter which process, any will do. Typically I just kill the
task manager itself. Anyway, once I've made this virtual sacrifice to
the Civ3 god, the game proceed to load and plays normally.

I used to have this game installed on an older machine and it ran just
fine there. Has anyone else had this problem?

Here are my system specs:

Epia M10000 motherboard
512MB RAM
Rosewill 52x CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive
80GB HD
Windows XP w/ SP2
DirectX 9 (I think)
Hauppauge PVR-250 board (not currently in use)

I have very little software installed, just the OS, the Hauppauge
utilities, the CD-RW/DVD utilities (Nero Express, InCD, & PowerDVD),
and AdAware. And Civ3, of course. I updated to all the latest drivers,
but I could not flash my BIOS to the newest revision because the flash
software on VIA's web page does not accept the new BIOS version as a
valid BIOS file.

So, any ideas?

This sounds more like a problem with the monitor driver. Make sure you have
a proper driver installed and not 'plug & play monitor' in the device
manager and make sure the refresh range is set properly. You might have to
add a Refresh=?? line to the civ3 ini file. The screen resolution switches
to 600x480 to play the intro movie then switches back to 1024x768

"Daniel A. Mazurowski" <kingsmedley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When I go to play Civilization III (Game Of The Year Edition, ver.
> 1.29f), the game will display the splash screen and then not do a
> thing. Until I bring up the task manager and kill a process, that is!
> Doesn't matter which process, any will do. Typically I just kill the
> task manager itself. Anyway, once I've made this virtual sacrifice to
> the Civ3 god, the game proceed to load and plays normally.
>
> I used to have this game installed on an older machine and it ran just
> fine there. Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> Here are my system specs:
>
> Epia M10000 motherboard
> 512MB RAM
> Rosewill 52x CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive
> 80GB HD
> Windows XP w/ SP2
> DirectX 9 (I think)
> Hauppauge PVR-250 board (not currently in use)
>
> I have very little software installed, just the OS, the Hauppauge
> utilities, the CD-RW/DVD utilities (Nero Express, InCD, & PowerDVD),
> and AdAware. And Civ3, of course. I updated to all the latest drivers,
> but I could not flash my BIOS to the newest revision because the flash
> software on VIA's web page does not accept the new BIOS version as a
> valid BIOS file.
>
> So, any ideas?

keith

make sure you've got the latest directx, go to windows update, if you need monitor drivers it might find them too

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message news:<ycHdd.396$Pw.168@news01.roc.ny>...
> This sounds more like a problem with the monitor driver. Make sure you have
> a proper driver installed and not 'plug & play monitor' in the device
> manager and make sure the refresh range is set properly. You might have to
> add a Refresh=?? line to the civ3 ini file. The screen resolution switches
> to 600x480 to play the intro movie then switches back to 1024x768

This makes sense. Especially since I couldn't flash the BIOS - there
is a note on the VIA website that says something about how the most
recent video drivers require you to update the BIOS. As for the
monitor driver, yes it is set to plug & play. The monitor did not come
with a driver and it never occurred to me to download one. I'll see if
I can track one down.

TRENDING THREADS