Problem with Subs and Friendlies

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

I am playing C3C 1.22. When I set out a sub and a friendly nation or
ally bumps into it, I am automatically at war with that nation.

This did not happen in earlier versions of Civ. Is there a way to
prevent this other than linking the sub to a surface ship in the same
cell?

Buck

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:24:03 -0400 Buck <noone@aol.com> wrote in message
<m5hgn0p4a9th6k2g7fibg8rtvnar8jrrq4@4ax.com>...

> I am playing C3C 1.22. When I set out a sub and a friendly nation or
> ally bumps into it, I am automatically at war with that nation.

Yep, this is a known bug. This is exploitable, if you want a civ to declare
war: Just put a sub into one of his transport lanes.

> This did not happen in earlier versions of Civ. Is there a way to
> prevent this other than linking the sub to a surface ship in the same
> cell?

That's the only way I know.

--
Daran

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll

Buck <noone@aol.com> wrote in

> I am playing C3C 1.22. When I set out a sub and a friendly nation or
> ally bumps into it, I am automatically at war with that nation.
>
> This did not happen in earlier versions of Civ. Is there a way to
> prevent this other than linking the sub to a surface ship in the same
> cell?

You have to pair it up with a visible unit to prevent accidental
wars. Note that if you are playing a scenario or mod with invisible
land units, war will happen when they are bumped into as well.

--
ICQ: 8105495
AIM: KeeperGFA

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

On 22 Oct 2004 03:23:08 GMT, "Kevin 'Keeper' Foster"
<thekeeper@canada.com> wrote:

>Buck <noone@aol.com> wrote in
>

>> I am playing C3C 1.22. When I set out a sub and a friendly nation or
>> ally bumps into it, I am automatically at war with that nation.
>>
>> This did not happen in earlier versions of Civ. Is there a way to
>> prevent this other than linking the sub to a surface ship in the same
>> cell?
>
> You have to pair it up with a visible unit to prevent accidental
>wars. Note that if you are playing a scenario or mod with invisible
>land units, war will happen when they are bumped into as well.

I guess that's one of it's "undocumented features".

Thanks
Buck

In article <m5hgn0p4a9th6k2g7fibg8rtvnar8jrrq4@4ax.com>, noone@aol.com wrote:

>I am playing C3C 1.22. When I set out a sub and a friendly nation or
>ally bumps into it, I am automatically at war with that nation.
>
>This did not happen in earlier versions of Civ. Is there a way to
>prevent this other than linking the sub to a surface ship in the same
>cell?

This was an old bug that was re-introduced with C3C.

One way of preventing a war is to go into the Editor make subs have "hidden
nationality" like Privateers. When an AI bumps into one of your subs it won't
start a war.

The down side is that the AI will build subs and attack your ships with them.
This cure may be worse than the problem.

Another way is to remove the "invisible" flag from subs so the AI can see
them.

Mike G