I have just had Windows XP installed and can't get rid of
the messenger 4.7 icon in the tray or get it to stop
that
Jonathan Kay suggested with no luck. I have tried going
to Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger
when Windows starts' but it wasn't an option there, I did
uncheck the box that said Allow Windows Messenger
to run in the background. I went to Norton Virus and was
not able to find an "options" field to see if that was the
problem. If it matters I am using Microsoft Outlook.

Any more thoughts?? I have XP at home and I will be
darned if I can remember how I got rid of it there.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Greetings Keely,

If you have Norton Antivirus, from version 2003 and up, this function will be there and will
cause this problem, so you'll need to keep looking.

As well, Outlook (depending on the version you're using) will also start Messenger. For
Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu in Outlook, then choose Options, choose the Other tab,
uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and click OK.

For Outlook 2002/XP, open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the Other tab,
and uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Keely" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just had Windows XP installed and can't get rid of
> the messenger 4.7 icon in the tray or get it to stop
> that
> Jonathan Kay suggested with no luck. I have tried going
> to Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
> Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger
> when Windows starts' but it wasn't an option there, I did
> uncheck the box that said Allow Windows Messenger
> to run in the background. I went to Norton Virus and was
> not able to find an "options" field to see if that was the
> problem. If it matters I am using Microsoft Outlook.
>
> Any more thoughts?? I have XP at home and I will be
> darned if I can remember how I got rid of it there.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Jonathan, once again you save the day :)
Found the option in Outlook and unchecked the box.
Thanks again for your help.

Jonathan Kay.

>"Keely" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>>I have just had Windows XP installed and can't get rid of
>> the messenger 4.7 icon in the tray or get it to stop
link
>> that
>> Jonathan Kay suggested with no luck. I have tried going
>> to Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
>> Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger
>> when Windows starts' but it wasn't an option there, I
did
>> uncheck the box that said Allow Windows Messenger
>> to run in the background. I went to Norton Virus and
was
>> not able to find an "options" field to see if that was
the
>> problem. If it matters I am using Microsoft Outlook.
>>
>> Any more thoughts?? I have XP at home and I will be
>> darned if I can remember how I got rid of it there.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
>>

>.

Hi Keely,

Excellent =)