Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

C3C RAR 1.00.11 Basic

Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 23, 2004 3:40:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

I just downloaded and played Rise and Rule on C3C last night. It is
definitely different. I enjoyed it until I went to upgrade my
horseman. There was a missing *.ini file and I, unfortunately, forgot
to write down the name.


Is there a place to report bugs and to find fixes for the scenerio?

Is there a place to discuss playing it?

Thanks
Buck

More about : c3c rar basic

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 3:40:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:40:34 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:

>I just downloaded and played Rise and Rule on C3C last night. It is
>definitely different. I enjoyed it until I went to upgrade my
>horseman. There was a missing *.ini file and I, unfortunately, forgot
>to write down the name.
>
>
>Is there a place to report bugs and to find fixes for the scenerio?
>
>Is there a place to discuss playing it?

Some of us play the RAR/DYP mods exclusively. IMO they're the best
Civ mods ever made.

This is as good a place to discuss them as any. The main designer
reads and posts here, and also has a web site devoted to the mod.

What civ's horseman did you have the trouble with? I haven't run into
any missing files with RAR so far.

Steve
October 23, 2004 6:36:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:09:27 -0500, Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:40:34 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
>
>>I just downloaded and played Rise and Rule on C3C last night. It is
>>definitely different. I enjoyed it until I went to upgrade my
>>horseman. There was a missing *.ini file and I, unfortunately, forgot
>>to write down the name.
>>
>>
>>Is there a place to report bugs and to find fixes for the scenerio?
>>
>>Is there a place to discuss playing it?
>
>Some of us play the RAR/DYP mods exclusively. IMO they're the best
>Civ mods ever made.
>
>This is as good a place to discuss them as any. The main designer
>reads and posts here, and also has a web site devoted to the mod.
>
>What civ's horseman did you have the trouble with? I haven't run into
>any missing files with RAR so far.
>
>Steve

Steve, I will probably do the same. Last night I won my first game
which was at chieftan level. Today I lost my first game at Warrier
level. Five civs around me demanded I give up something or go to war.
I got a piece treaty from four of them but Babylon took my last city
with elephants.

Technologically, I fell behind fast.

I do have one gripe with the scenerio which I changed on my mod
version... The cost of settlers that keeps rising as you advance. I
didn't like that so everything from pioneer down is the same. Same is
true with Hardy versions. I know there is some minor variation, but I
get Dynasticism pretty quickly and by the time I get a city or two
built, the time to create other settlers doubles and I didnt like that
too much.

The other change I made was allowing settlers to create cities on
mountains. Other than that, I like this version of the game.

I was playing america when I had the problem. Let me look in the
editor and I'll find the name of the upgraded unit that failed....


I can't find it, but I think it was an upgrade from some version of a
mounted archer.


I wish now I had saved the game to look at it.

hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
apache longbow.

\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini

and the folder isn't there.

Thanks. I am looking forward to playing and learning more about this
version of the game.

I see it is still under construction. Would it help if we list the
things missing or needing correction? Also, I can't do much, but if I
could I would be glad to help contribute.

Thanks
Buck
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 7:30:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:

>Steve, I will probably do the same. Last night I won my first game
>which was at chieftan level. Today I lost my first game at Warrier
>level. Five civs around me demanded I give up something or go to war.
>I got a piece treaty from four of them but Babylon took my last city
>with elephants.
>
>Technologically, I fell behind fast.

The tree is huge, so it's possible. But there are also that many more
trading opportunities. I've found the AI more willing to trade
multiple techs at once with this one, but it might be my imagination.

>I do have one gripe with the scenerio which I changed on my mod
>version... The cost of settlers that keeps rising as you advance.

I don't have it open in front of me, but I believe their stats
improve too. Check movement points.

>didn't like that so everything from pioneer down is the same. Same is
>true with Hardy versions.

Hardy versions in RAR I believe can make roads while they're hanging
around or on the way to their destination. They also have lower
population hits to create, in exchange for being more expensive.
Again, from memory.

It's great to mod though. I always make road movement more generous
than the default. Building on mountains is also a trade-off, but it
gives Tibet a fighting chance to expand before dying gloriously. <g>

>I was playing america when I had the problem. Let me look in the
>editor and I'll find the name of the upgraded unit that failed....
>
>
>I can't find it, but I think it was an upgrade from some version of a
>mounted archer.
>
>
>I wish now I had saved the game to look at it.
>
>hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
>apache longbow.
>
>\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
>
>and the folder isn't there.

Ah. I haven't played Americans yet in RAR. That sounds like either a
major developer miss, or possibly you got a corrupted un-pack on the
d/l. I'll check tomorrow and see if I have the folders.

>I see it is still under construction. Would it help if we list the
>things missing or needing correction? Also, I can't do much, but if I
>could I would be glad to help contribute.

You could list them here, or try the developer's website at
http://civ3.bernskov.com/

They have a known bugs section there that doesn't seem to specifically
address missing copters.

Steve
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 7:44:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:


>hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
>apache longbow.
>
>\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
>
>and the folder isn't there.

I checked and the folder is called "Longbow Apache" (which is there),
not "Apache Longbow". Don't know if a Rename will fix it or it takes
more surgery.

Steve
October 23, 2004 10:31:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:30:39 -0500, Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
>

>>I do have one gripe with the scenerio which I changed on my mod
>>version... The cost of settlers that keeps rising as you advance.
>
> I don't have it open in front of me, but I believe their stats
>improve too. Check movement points.
>
>>didn't like that so everything from pioneer down is the same. Same is
>>true with Hardy versions.
>
>Hardy versions in RAR I believe can make roads while they're hanging
>around or on the way to their destination. They also have lower
>population hits to create, in exchange for being more expensive.
>Again, from memory.
>
>It's great to mod though. I always make road movement more generous
>than the default. Building on mountains is also a trade-off, but it
>gives Tibet a fighting chance to expand before dying gloriously. <g>
>

I didn't change the stats in the various "settler" classes, but I did
change the prices a bit. I know the Hardy series has worker
abilities, but since a worker is only 10 points, I changed them so
they had a single defence point and reduced the price to 50% more than
the Clan, which was 30 production points. I couldn't stand spending
15-30 turns each to build a "settler" and by the time he was built, I
had reached Dynasticism and the costs doubled.

I may try the original version again later, I can see that being an
advantage when I am the one behind in technology rather than ahead ;) 

I do like the ability to change things a bit, though. When I first
started playing C3, I made several modifications that gave me too much
advantage. It helped me learn the game, but being "God" in the game
gets boring. I recently cut back to the original settings and only
make minor mods that don't give me the advantage. It is a challeng.
I guess I just don't like to lose. lol

This new version gives me many more opportunities where the original
only offered one. There are multiple wonders that accomplish the same
things such as offering two free techs and getting updated on techs
other civs have.

the mods I use now are shared by all the civs I play against so I
maintain a balance. One day I'll challenge the SID level again.




>>I was playing america when I had the problem. Let me look in the
>>editor and I'll find the name of the upgraded unit that failed....
>>
>>
>>I can't find it, but I think it was an upgrade from some version of a
>>mounted archer.
>>
>>
>>I wish now I had saved the game to look at it.
>>
>>hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
>>apache longbow.
>>
>>\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
>>
>>and the folder isn't there.
>
>Ah. I haven't played Americans yet in RAR. That sounds like either a
>major developer miss, or possibly you got a corrupted un-pack on the
>d/l. I'll check tomorrow and see if I have the folders.
>
>>I see it is still under construction. Would it help if we list the
>>things missing or needing correction? Also, I can't do much, but if I
>>could I would be glad to help contribute.
>
>You could list them here, or try the developer's website at
>http://civ3.bernskov.com/
>
>They have a known bugs section there that doesn't seem to specifically
>address missing copters.
>
>Steve
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 3:22:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:

>Technologically, I fell behind fast.

Make sure you trade whenever possible. With lot of civs and tech you
have many options. In my game I went for the encyclopedia and then
sat back while others did the research for me. Keep a heavy eye on
maintenance of city improvements. Some improvements are very
expensive and can drive your income to zero real fast. I look for
improvements that are going to give back more than they cost per turn.
At least until I can comfortably afford the more expensive ones.

If you can make it through the early years the AI will eventually fall
behind in tech. Once all the wars start breaking out they seem to
choose an inferior government which brings their research to a halt.
I also find their are so many unit choices that even with lower tech
you can put up a good fight.

I played my first game of RAR with accelerated production turned on.
That helps speed up the game wich in the beginning I find very slow.
October 24, 2004 4:19:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

I have a lot to learn about all the new wonders and improvements.

See my message: Frustration or Disbelief?

Buck

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:22:00 -0400, P12 <nowhere@all.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
>
>>Technologically, I fell behind fast.
>
>Make sure you trade whenever possible. With lot of civs and tech you
>have many options. In my game I went for the encyclopedia and then
>sat back while others did the research for me. Keep a heavy eye on
>maintenance of city improvements. Some improvements are very
>expensive and can drive your income to zero real fast. I look for
>improvements that are going to give back more than they cost per turn.
>At least until I can comfortably afford the more expensive ones.
>
>If you can make it through the early years the AI will eventually fall
>behind in tech. Once all the wars start breaking out they seem to
>choose an inferior government which brings their research to a halt.
>I also find their are so many unit choices that even with lower tech
>you can put up a good fight.
>
>I played my first game of RAR with accelerated production turned on.
>That helps speed up the game wich in the beginning I find very slow.
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 6:02:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

"Steve Bartman" <sbartman@visi.com> wrote in message
news:3igln0hpkamisk6emflv9p1ninos4q2ug5@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
>
>
>>hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
>>apache longbow.
>>
>>\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
>>
>>and the folder isn't there.
>
> I checked and the folder is called "Longbow Apache" (which is there),
> not "Apache Longbow". Don't know if a Rename will fix it or it takes
> more surgery.

Look in the pediaicons.txt file near the bottom and see what folder name is
used for that unit. If the folder name is correct, then the ini file just
needs to be renamed to match the folder name.
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:55:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 00:19:46 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:

>I have a lot to learn about all the new wonders and improvements.
>
>See my message: Frustration or Disbelief?
>
>Buck

You can't build them all. But because there are so many you have a
good chance of building the ones you want.
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 2:45:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

Steve Bartman wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
>
>
>
>>hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
>>apache longbow.
>>
>>\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
>>
>>and the folder isn't there.
>
>
> I checked and the folder is called "Longbow Apache" (which is there),
> not "Apache Longbow". Don't know if a Rename will fix it or it takes
> more surgery.
>
> Steve
In the latest version the readme says to rename the folder and the .ini
to fix it.
October 24, 2004 7:14:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

Where do I find this latest version of the Readme?

mine doesn't say anything about it and I can't find one on the
developer's website.

Buck



On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:45:31 GMT, Phil Pease <ppease5@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>Steve Bartman wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
>>>apache longbow.
>>>
>>>\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
>>>
>>>and the folder isn't there.
>>
>>
>> I checked and the folder is called "Longbow Apache" (which is there),
>> not "Apache Longbow". Don't know if a Rename will fix it or it takes
>> more surgery.
>>
>> Steve
>In the latest version the readme says to rename the folder and the .ini
>to fix it.
!