C3C RAR 1.00.11 Basic

I just downloaded and played Rise and Rule on C3C last night. It is
definitely different. I enjoyed it until I went to upgrade my
horseman. There was a missing *.ini file and I, unfortunately, forgot
to write down the name.

Is there a place to report bugs and to find fixes for the scenerio?

Is there a place to discuss playing it?

Thanks
Buck
11 answers Last reply
More about basic
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:40:34 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:

    >I just downloaded and played Rise and Rule on C3C last night. It is
    >definitely different. I enjoyed it until I went to upgrade my
    >horseman. There was a missing *.ini file and I, unfortunately, forgot
    >to write down the name.
    >

    >Is there a place to report bugs and to find fixes for the scenerio?
    >
    >Is there a place to discuss playing it?

    Some of us play the RAR/DYP mods exclusively. IMO they're the best
    Civ mods ever made.

    This is as good a place to discuss them as any. The main designer
    reads and posts here, and also has a web site devoted to the mod.

    What civ's horseman did you have the trouble with? I haven't run into
    any missing files with RAR so far.

    Steve
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:09:27 -0500, Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:40:34 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
    >
    >>I just downloaded and played Rise and Rule on C3C last night. It is
    >>definitely different. I enjoyed it until I went to upgrade my
    >>horseman. There was a missing *.ini file and I, unfortunately, forgot
    >>to write down the name.
    >>

    >>Is there a place to report bugs and to find fixes for the scenerio?
    >>
    >>Is there a place to discuss playing it?
    >
    >Some of us play the RAR/DYP mods exclusively. IMO they're the best
    >Civ mods ever made.
    >
    >This is as good a place to discuss them as any. The main designer
    >reads and posts here, and also has a web site devoted to the mod.
    >
    >What civ's horseman did you have the trouble with? I haven't run into
    >any missing files with RAR so far.
    >
    >Steve

    Steve, I will probably do the same. Last night I won my first game
    which was at chieftan level. Today I lost my first game at Warrier
    level. Five civs around me demanded I give up something or go to war.
    I got a piece treaty from four of them but Babylon took my last city
    with elephants.

    Technologically, I fell behind fast.

    I do have one gripe with the scenerio which I changed on my mod
    version... The cost of settlers that keeps rising as you advance. I
    didn't like that so everything from pioneer down is the same. Same is
    true with Hardy versions. I know there is some minor variation, but I
    get Dynasticism pretty quickly and by the time I get a city or two
    built, the time to create other settlers doubles and I didnt like that
    too much.

    The other change I made was allowing settlers to create cities on
    mountains. Other than that, I like this version of the game.

    I was playing america when I had the problem. Let me look in the
    editor and I'll find the name of the upgraded unit that failed....

    I can't find it, but I think it was an upgrade from some version of a
    mounted archer.

    I wish now I had saved the game to look at it.

    hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
    apache longbow.

    \Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini

    and the folder isn't there.

    Thanks. I am looking forward to playing and learning more about this
    version of the game.

    I see it is still under construction. Would it help if we list the
    things missing or needing correction? Also, I can't do much, but if I
    could I would be glad to help contribute.

    Thanks
    Buck
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:

    >Steve, I will probably do the same. Last night I won my first game
    >which was at chieftan level. Today I lost my first game at Warrier
    >level. Five civs around me demanded I give up something or go to war.
    >I got a piece treaty from four of them but Babylon took my last city
    >with elephants.
    >
    >Technologically, I fell behind fast.

    The tree is huge, so it's possible. But there are also that many more
    trading opportunities. I've found the AI more willing to trade
    multiple techs at once with this one, but it might be my imagination.

    >I do have one gripe with the scenerio which I changed on my mod
    >version... The cost of settlers that keeps rising as you advance.

    I don't have it open in front of me, but I believe their stats
    improve too. Check movement points.

    >didn't like that so everything from pioneer down is the same. Same is
    >true with Hardy versions.

    Hardy versions in RAR I believe can make roads while they're hanging
    around or on the way to their destination. They also have lower
    population hits to create, in exchange for being more expensive.
    Again, from memory.

    It's great to mod though. I always make road movement more generous
    than the default. Building on mountains is also a trade-off, but it
    gives Tibet a fighting chance to expand before dying gloriously. <g>

    >I was playing america when I had the problem. Let me look in the
    >editor and I'll find the name of the upgraded unit that failed....
    >

    >I can't find it, but I think it was an upgrade from some version of a
    >mounted archer.
    >

    >I wish now I had saved the game to look at it.
    >
    >hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
    >apache longbow.
    >
    >\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
    >
    >and the folder isn't there.

    Ah. I haven't played Americans yet in RAR. That sounds like either a
    major developer miss, or possibly you got a corrupted un-pack on the
    d/l. I'll check tomorrow and see if I have the folders.

    >I see it is still under construction. Would it help if we list the
    >things missing or needing correction? Also, I can't do much, but if I
    >could I would be glad to help contribute.

    You could list them here, or try the developer's website at
    http://civ3.bernskov.com/

    They have a known bugs section there that doesn't seem to specifically
    address missing copters.

    Steve
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:

    >hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
    >apache longbow.
    >
    >\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
    >
    >and the folder isn't there.

    I checked and the folder is called "Longbow Apache" (which is there),
    not "Apache Longbow". Don't know if a Rename will fix it or it takes
    more surgery.

    Steve
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:30:39 -0500, Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
    >

    >>I do have one gripe with the scenerio which I changed on my mod
    >>version... The cost of settlers that keeps rising as you advance.
    >
    > I don't have it open in front of me, but I believe their stats
    >improve too. Check movement points.
    >
    >>didn't like that so everything from pioneer down is the same. Same is
    >>true with Hardy versions.
    >
    >Hardy versions in RAR I believe can make roads while they're hanging
    >around or on the way to their destination. They also have lower
    >population hits to create, in exchange for being more expensive.
    >Again, from memory.
    >
    >It's great to mod though. I always make road movement more generous
    >than the default. Building on mountains is also a trade-off, but it
    >gives Tibet a fighting chance to expand before dying gloriously. <g>

    I didn't change the stats in the various "settler" classes, but I did
    change the prices a bit. I know the Hardy series has worker
    abilities, but since a worker is only 10 points, I changed them so
    they had a single defence point and reduced the price to 50% more than
    the Clan, which was 30 production points. I couldn't stand spending
    15-30 turns each to build a "settler" and by the time he was built, I
    had reached Dynasticism and the costs doubled.

    I may try the original version again later, I can see that being an
    advantage when I am the one behind in technology rather than ahead ;)

    I do like the ability to change things a bit, though. When I first
    started playing C3, I made several modifications that gave me too much
    advantage. It helped me learn the game, but being "God" in the game
    gets boring. I recently cut back to the original settings and only
    make minor mods that don't give me the advantage. It is a challeng.
    I guess I just don't like to lose. lol

    This new version gives me many more opportunities where the original
    only offered one. There are multiple wonders that accomplish the same
    things such as offering two free techs and getting updated on techs
    other civs have.

    the mods I use now are shared by all the civs I play against so I
    maintain a balance. One day I'll challenge the SID level again.

    >>I was playing america when I had the problem. Let me look in the
    >>editor and I'll find the name of the upgraded unit that failed....
    >>

    >>I can't find it, but I think it was an upgrade from some version of a
    >>mounted archer.
    >>

    >>I wish now I had saved the game to look at it.
    >>
    >>hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
    >>apache longbow.
    >>
    >>\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
    >>
    >>and the folder isn't there.
    >
    >Ah. I haven't played Americans yet in RAR. That sounds like either a
    >major developer miss, or possibly you got a corrupted un-pack on the
    >d/l. I'll check tomorrow and see if I have the folders.
    >
    >>I see it is still under construction. Would it help if we list the
    >>things missing or needing correction? Also, I can't do much, but if I
    >>could I would be glad to help contribute.
    >
    >You could list them here, or try the developer's website at
    >http://civ3.bernskov.com/
    >
    >They have a known bugs section there that doesn't seem to specifically
    >address missing copters.
    >
    >Steve
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:

    >Technologically, I fell behind fast.

    Make sure you trade whenever possible. With lot of civs and tech you
    have many options. In my game I went for the encyclopedia and then
    sat back while others did the research for me. Keep a heavy eye on
    maintenance of city improvements. Some improvements are very
    expensive and can drive your income to zero real fast. I look for
    improvements that are going to give back more than they cost per turn.
    At least until I can comfortably afford the more expensive ones.

    If you can make it through the early years the AI will eventually fall
    behind in tech. Once all the wars start breaking out they seem to
    choose an inferior government which brings their research to a halt.
    I also find their are so many unit choices that even with lower tech
    you can put up a good fight.

    I played my first game of RAR with accelerated production turned on.
    That helps speed up the game wich in the beginning I find very slow.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    I have a lot to learn about all the new wonders and improvements.

    See my message: Frustration or Disbelief?

    Buck

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:22:00 -0400, P12 <nowhere@all.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Technologically, I fell behind fast.
    >
    >Make sure you trade whenever possible. With lot of civs and tech you
    >have many options. In my game I went for the encyclopedia and then
    >sat back while others did the research for me. Keep a heavy eye on
    >maintenance of city improvements. Some improvements are very
    >expensive and can drive your income to zero real fast. I look for
    >improvements that are going to give back more than they cost per turn.
    >At least until I can comfortably afford the more expensive ones.
    >
    >If you can make it through the early years the AI will eventually fall
    >behind in tech. Once all the wars start breaking out they seem to
    >choose an inferior government which brings their research to a halt.
    >I also find their are so many unit choices that even with lower tech
    >you can put up a good fight.
    >
    >I played my first game of RAR with accelerated production turned on.
    >That helps speed up the game wich in the beginning I find very slow.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Steve Bartman" <sbartman@visi.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
    >

    >>hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
    >>apache longbow.
    >>
    >>\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
    >>
    >>and the folder isn't there.
    >
    > I checked and the folder is called "Longbow Apache" (which is there),
    > not "Apache Longbow". Don't know if a Rename will fix it or it takes
    > more surgery.

    Look in the pediaicons.txt file near the bottom and see what folder name is
    used for that unit. If the folder name is correct, then the ini file just
    needs to be renamed to match the folder name.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 00:19:46 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:

    >I have a lot to learn about all the new wonders and improvements.
    >
    >See my message: Frustration or Disbelief?
    >
    >Buck

    You can't build them all. But because there are so many you have a
    good chance of building the ones you want.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Steve Bartman wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
    >

    >>hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
    >>apache longbow.
    >>
    >>\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
    >>
    >>and the folder isn't there.
    >

    > I checked and the folder is called "Longbow Apache" (which is there),
    > not "Apache Longbow". Don't know if a Rename will fix it or it takes
    > more surgery.
    >
    > Steve
    In the latest version the readme says to rename the folder and the .ini
    to fix it.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Where do I find this latest version of the Readme?

    mine doesn't say anything about it and I can't find one on the
    developer's website.

    Buck

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:45:31 GMT, Phil Pease <ppease5@mchsi.com>
    wrote:

    >Steve Bartman wrote:
    >> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0400, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:
    >>

    >>>hmm, I did save the game. The error is when trying to upgrade to
    >>>apache longbow.
    >>>
    >>>\Art\Units\Apache Longbow\Apache Longbow.ini
    >>>
    >>>and the folder isn't there.
    >>

    >> I checked and the folder is called "Longbow Apache" (which is there),
    >> not "Apache Longbow". Don't know if a Rename will fix it or it takes
    >> more surgery.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >In the latest version the readme says to rename the folder and the .ini
    >to fix it.

Games Basic Video Games