Getting out of treaties...

I am in the middle of a game that is going poorly. I have excellent
relations with the other countries, but am lacking resources (they
never seem to have extras of what I need) and I am lagging in
research. So I am looking to solve these problems through armed
conflict and espionage. BUT - I don't want to suffer the damage to my
reputation, so I want them to start the war.

Weird thing is, I can't seem to get out of any of the treaty
agreements I've made. They seem to last MUCH longer than 20 turns. I
can press the issue to "withdraw or declare war" with a few civs, but
they have had a ROP with me for AGES and the damn thing never seems to
expire! At least three of them are well beyond the 20 turn time
period, but apparently the AI likes the treaty and doesn't want out.

Is this normal? I'm running 1.29f of Civ3 GOTY. In the past the AI has
always wanted out of these treaties promptly at 20 turns, but in those
games I was also the dominant civ. This time I'm only halfway up the
ladder.

Anyway, is there a way for me to withdraw from a treaty after the 20
turn time limit, even if the other civ wants to keep it going? If not,
why does the AI have exclusive rights to choose when a treaty ends?

"Daniel A. Mazurowski"

> Weird thing is, I can't seem to get out of any of the treaty
> agreements I've made. They seem to last MUCH longer than 20 turns.

Did you set your preferences, or wherever it is, to "renegotiate treaties",
or "advise when treaties expire", or something like that?

--
Cheers
Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/

"Daniel A. Mazurowski" <kingsmedley@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snippage>

> Anyway, is there a way for me to withdraw from a treaty after the 20
> turn time limit, even if the other civ wants to keep it going? If not,
> why does the AI have exclusive rights to choose when a treaty ends?

Start diplomacy. Click on 'Active' at the bottom and click on the deal that
no longer has a (#) next to it. This will return you to the negotiations
where you can renegotiate or clear the table to end it.

On 27 Oct 2004 01:25:02 -0700, kingsmedley@yahoo.com (Daniel A.
Mazurowski) wrote:

>I am in the middle of a game that is going poorly. I have excellent
>relations with the other countries, but am lacking resources (they
>never seem to have extras of what I need) and I am lagging in
>research. So I am looking to solve these problems through armed
>conflict and espionage. BUT - I don't want to suffer the damage to my
>reputation, so I want them to start the war.
>
>Weird thing is, I can't seem to get out of any of the treaty
>agreements I've made. They seem to last MUCH longer than 20 turns. I
>can press the issue to "withdraw or declare war" with a few civs, but
>they have had a ROP with me for AGES and the damn thing never seems to
>expire! At least three of them are well beyond the 20 turn time
>period, but apparently the AI likes the treaty and doesn't want out.
>
>Is this normal? I'm running 1.29f of Civ3 GOTY. In the past the AI has
>always wanted out of these treaties promptly at 20 turns, but in those
>games I was also the dominant civ. This time I'm only halfway up the
>ladder.
>
>Anyway, is there a way for me to withdraw from a treaty after the 20
>turn time limit, even if the other civ wants to keep it going? If not,
>why does the AI have exclusive rights to choose when a treaty ends?

Like someone already said during negotiations you can select active
deals and then clear the table once the 20 turns has past. You can
also force negotiation using one of the menu preferences.

The AI will want to continue if they are happy with the deal. If they
feel you should pay something to continue the ROP they will want out.
Once you cancel the ROP passage their attitude toward you may change.

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:16:10 -0400, P12 <nowhere@all.com> wrote:

>On 27 Oct 2004 01:25:02 -0700, kingsmedley@yahoo.com (Daniel A.
>Mazurowski) wrote:
>
>>I am in the middle of a game that is going poorly. I have excellent
>>relations with the other countries, but am lacking resources (they
>>never seem to have extras of what I need) and I am lagging in
>>research. So I am looking to solve these problems through armed
>>conflict and espionage. BUT - I don't want to suffer the damage to my
>>reputation, so I want them to start the war.
>>
>>Weird thing is, I can't seem to get out of any of the treaty
>>agreements I've made. They seem to last MUCH longer than 20 turns. I
>>can press the issue to "withdraw or declare war" with a few civs, but
>>they have had a ROP with me for AGES and the damn thing never seems to
>>expire! At least three of them are well beyond the 20 turn time
>>period, but apparently the AI likes the treaty and doesn't want out.
>>
>>Is this normal? I'm running 1.29f of Civ3 GOTY. In the past the AI has
>>always wanted out of these treaties promptly at 20 turns, but in those
>>games I was also the dominant civ. This time I'm only halfway up the
>>ladder.
>>
>>Anyway, is there a way for me to withdraw from a treaty after the 20
>>turn time limit, even if the other civ wants to keep it going? If not,
>>why does the AI have exclusive rights to choose when a treaty ends?
>
>Like someone already said during negotiations you can select active
>deals and then clear the table once the 20 turns has past. You can
>also force negotiation using one of the menu preferences.
>
>The AI will want to continue if they are happy with the deal. If they
>feel you should pay something to continue the ROP they will want out.
>Once you cancel the ROP passage their attitude toward you may change.

Civs that were polite to me when I was selling them Diamonds at 1gp
per turn (I don't know how that trade got started), became furious
with me when I ended the trade and others that were polite became
annoyed.

I have learned to check my trades periodically. When I find expired
ones, I will often delete the trade and re-offer the resourse I was
trading to see what I might get in return. I find in the resources
that make a civ happy, that when I quit trading it, even when having
several more to spare, the happiness of my own civ increases and I get
cities that celebrate loving the president.

Renegotiating trades within the 20 turns can work too, in some
instances, but it can also create enemies and distrust.

For What its Worth,

Buck

"Roger T." <rogertra@highspeedplus.com> wrote in message news:<1ddf236f30004069082379d1eebdfdad@grapevine.islandnet.com>...
> "Daniel A. Mazurowski"
>

> > Weird thing is, I can't seem to get out of any of the treaty
> > agreements I've made. They seem to last MUCH longer than 20 turns.
>
> Did you set your preferences, or wherever it is, to "renegotiate treaties",
> or "advise when treaties expire", or something like that?

I was not aware of these settings, I'll take a look at the preferences
menu and see if that does the trick.

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message news:<YWKfd.1079$ku.78@news01.roc.ny>...
> "Daniel A. Mazurowski" <kingsmedley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> <snippage>
>
> > Anyway, is there a way for me to withdraw from a treaty after the 20
> > turn time limit, even if the other civ wants to keep it going? If not,
> > why does the AI have exclusive rights to choose when a treaty ends?
>
> Start diplomacy. Click on 'Active' at the bottom and click on the deal that
> no longer has a (#) next to it. This will return you to the negotiations
> where you can renegotiate or clear the table to end it.

I am not familair with these options. When I start diplomacy, my
options are simply "choose a country" and from there I get to propose
a deal or declare war. I don't know how to find the screen you
decribe, but it sounds exactly like what I want! Is there another way
to start diplomacy? Exactly what keystroke or menu choice do you make
to acces the menu you describe?

"Daniel A. Mazurowski" <kingsmedley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<chop>
<chop>
<choppity>
<chop>
> I am not familair with these options. When I start diplomacy, my
> options are simply "choose a country" and from there I get to propose
> a deal or declare war. I don't know how to find the screen you
> decribe, but it sounds exactly like what I want! Is there another way
> to start diplomacy? Exactly what keystroke or menu choice do you make
> to acces the menu you describe?

Here's the mouse method:
Click the D button on the small info window.
Choose the civ to trade or cancel trade with.
Select "Would like to propose a deal"
At the very bottom of the screen there should be the words New and Active if
you already have a deal with them.
Then follow the instructions you were previously given. :)
> >Click on 'Active' at the bottom and click on the deal that
> > no longer has a (#) next to it. This will return you to the negotiations
> > where you can renegotiate or clear the table to end it.

I hope this helps....

To view your deal status without wasting your opponents time:
Go to the Foreign Advisor screen.
Select the Details tab.
Choose a Civ leader icon.
You should then see all current deals with that civ.
If a deal does not have a (#) in front of it, you can follow the steps above
to cancel or renegotiate.

"Tzar Sasha" <tzar_sasha@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<20Zhd.1916$mi2.366@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>...
> "Daniel A. Mazurowski" <kingsmedley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> Here's the mouse method:
> Click the D button on the small info window.
> Choose the civ to trade or cancel trade with.
> Select "Would like to propose a deal"
> At the very bottom of the screen there should be the words New and Active if
> you already have a deal with them.

Hmm... I really don't remember seeing those buttons, I'll have to have
another look.

> I hope this helps....
>
> To view your deal status without wasting your opponents time:
> Go to the Foreign Advisor screen.
> Select the Details tab.
> Choose a Civ leader icon.
> You should then see all current deals with that civ.
> If a deal does not have a (#) in front of it, you can follow the steps above
> to cancel or renegotiate.

When I go to the foreign advisor and click on the leader's icon, all I
get is some colored lines showing the nature of agreements the civ has
with the other civs. (And I'd like to point out that if I play more
than 7 civs, the extra leaders will not appear on this screen, even if
one of the current leaders is eliminated.) I don't even have a
'Details' tab!

I'm starting to think we may be talking about different versions of
Civ3. I am running version 1.29f, Game Of The Year edition. Judging by
the screenshots in my manual, there were significant changes in the
user interface as the game evolved. Perhaps the buttons you describe
have been moved? Can anybody tell me where they might have gone?

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 08:46:17 -0500, Buck <uce@ftc.org> wrote:

>Civs that were polite to me when I was selling them Diamonds at 1gp
>per turn (I don't know how that trade got started), became furious
>with me when I ended the trade and others that were polite became
>annoyed.
>
>I have learned to check my trades periodically. When I find expired
>ones, I will often delete the trade and re-offer the resourse I was
>trading to see what I might get in return. I find in the resources
>that make a civ happy, that when I quit trading it, even when having
>several more to spare, the happiness of my own civ increases and I get
>cities that celebrate loving the president.
>
>Renegotiating trades within the 20 turns can work too, in some
>instances, but it can also create enemies and distrust.
>
>For What its Worth,
>
>Buck

Your 1g/turn deal was likely the result of a multi-deal trade. For
instance you threw in a tech or gold with the deal. Those items won't
carry over the 20 turns because they are received right away. At the
end of the twenty turns the AI will look and just see the 1g/turn and
think that is a great trade. Where as if the deal was switched
around the other way they will want to cancel.

I personally always re-negotiate luxuries when the AI wants out.
Often times they just want a few extra gold. If wait until it is my
turn again they usually have traded the luxury to someone else.

> "Tzar Sasha" <tzar_sasha@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> "Daniel A. Mazurowski" <kingsmedley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Here's the mouse method:
>> Click the D button on the small info window.
>> Choose the civ to trade or cancel trade with.
>> Select "Would like to propose a deal"
>> At the very bottom of the screen there should be the words New and Active
>> if
>> you already have a deal with them.
>
> Hmm... I really don't remember seeing those buttons, I'll have to have
> another look.
>

>> I hope this helps....
>>
>> To view your deal status without wasting your opponents time:
>> Go to the Foreign Advisor screen.
>> Select the Details tab.
>> Choose a Civ leader icon.
>> You should then see all current deals with that civ.
>> If a deal does not have a (#) in front of it, you can follow the steps
>> above
>> to cancel or renegotiate.
>
> When I go to the foreign advisor and click on the leader's icon, all I
> get is some colored lines showing the nature of agreements the civ has
> with the other civs. (And I'd like to point out that if I play more
> than 7 civs, the extra leaders will not appear on this screen, even if
> one of the current leaders is eliminated.) I don't even have a
> 'Details' tab!

The details tab is only in C3C and maybe PTW (but i don't think so.) You may
or may not have a 'D' button next to the main map display info window in
VC3... don't remember. That will bring up a 'which civ to contact' menu.

Try double clicking a leaders pic on the FA screen OR starting diplomacy by
shift-d from the map display. There is a list of hotkey commands in the
civilopedia. Once diplomacy is initiated, you can check active deals.

The FA screen is limited to 8 civs. If you have more than 7 rivals, you can
change to one not displayed by shift-rightclicking on one of the existing
rivals (or maybe it's shift-leftclick).

> I'm starting to think we may be talking about different versions of
> Civ3. I am running version 1.29f, Game Of The Year edition. Judging by
> the screenshots in my manual, there were significant changes in the
> user interface as the game evolved. Perhaps the buttons you describe
> have been moved? Can anybody tell me where they might have gone?

1.29f is vanilla civ3 (VC3). Most players have added PTW and/or C3C
expansion packs and forgotten the clumsy interface of VC3. You have to rely
on hotkeys more until you add at least PTW where they added a better
diplomacy/espionage interface.

>Most players have added PTW and/or C3C
> expansion packs and forgotten the clumsy interface of VC3.

Okay, so you got me.... Yes, I have forgotten about VC3's clumsy
interface.....