Looking for a close to DIPLOMACY win/loss save game. Anyon..

I never play with this win condition on. It seems kind of cheesy. Does
anyone have a modern era or close to modern era save game with this
win condition turned on? I want to see it in action before I commit to
a game with it on. You can email your save game to
mikesol@optonline.net. Thanks.
26 answers Last reply
More about looking close diplomacy loss save game anyon
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Mike" <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I never play with this win condition on. It seems kind of cheesy. Does
    > anyone have a modern era or close to modern era save game with this
    > win condition turned on? I want to see it in action before I commit to
    > a game with it on. You can email your save game to
    > mikesol@optonline.net. Thanks.

    It's too difficult. I played with diplomacy on once, built the United
    Nations, which triggered a vote that I lost 4-1 thus ending the game right
    there. Needless to say, I switched it off from there on out.

    -Rob
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Around 10/29/2004 1:10 AM, Rob Maxwell proclaimed for posterity:

    > "Mike" <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I never play with this win condition on. It seems kind of cheesy. Does
    >>anyone have a modern era or close to modern era save game with this
    >>win condition turned on? I want to see it in action before I commit to
    >>a game with it on. You can email your save game to
    >>mikesol@optonline.net. Thanks.
    >

    > It's too difficult. I played with diplomacy on once, built the United
    > Nations, which triggered a vote that I lost 4-1 thus ending the game right
    > there. Needless to say, I switched it off from there on out.
    >
    > -Rob

    I leave it on all the time, but try to be sure to be the one to build it
    (if the game goes that far) so I can control whether or not to have the
    vote.

    --
    Brandon Supernaw - <bhsupernaw@sbcglobal.net>
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Mike" <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I never play with this win condition on. It seems kind of cheesy. Does
    > anyone have a modern era or close to modern era save game with this
    > win condition turned on? I want to see it in action before I commit to
    > a game with it on. You can email your save game to
    > mikesol@optonline.net. Thanks.

    Playing with this option on but never intending to take a vote can make the
    game more challenging. The UN is the only game breaking wonder and you must
    make sure you are the one that builds it. It does not force you to take a
    vote. You may opt not to and it will then ask every 5 or 10 turns or
    something like that.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:18:31 GMT, "The Stare"
    <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

    >Playing with this option on but never intending to take a vote can make the
    >game more challenging. The UN is the only game breaking wonder and you must
    >make sure you are the one that builds it. It does not force you to take a
    >vote. You may opt not to and it will then ask every 5 or 10 turns or
    >something like that.

    I think I may just leave it off then after all. A game breaking wonder
    just sounds really stupid to me.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:05:43 -0400, Mike <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >I never play with this win condition on. It seems kind of cheesy. Does
    >anyone have a modern era or close to modern era save game with this
    >win condition turned on? I want to see it in action before I commit to
    >a game with it on. You can email your save game to
    >mikesol@optonline.net. Thanks.

    I have one diplomacy many times. However, I learned very early on not
    to play to win a particular victory. I set my victory conditions to
    several different options. Since I can't convince the AI to play my
    way, I leave the options open. If I make the most friends, I might
    try the diplomacy victory, if not I might try the science victory, or
    possibly domination or last survivor victory.

    Good luck
    Buck
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:52:44 -0400, Mike <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >I think I may just leave it off then after all. A game breaking wonder
    >just sounds really stupid to me.

    People here have said if the AI requests a vote than they already know
    you are going to lose.

    I have never turned it on myself. One of the Conquest games has this
    as a victory condition and I won with it. I guess it helps when
    everyone hates the next runner up.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 02:10:51 -0400, "Rob Maxwell"
    <robu-san@excite.com> wrote:

    >"Mike" <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>I never play with this win condition on. It seems kind of cheesy. Does
    >> anyone have a modern era or close to modern era save game with this
    >> win condition turned on? I want to see it in action before I commit to
    >> a game with it on. You can email your save game to
    >> mikesol@optonline.net. Thanks.
    >

    >It's too difficult. I played with diplomacy on once, built the United
    >Nations, which triggered a vote that I lost 4-1 thus ending the game right
    >there. Needless to say, I switched it off from there on out.

    It isn't that bad. Remember, if you build/own the UN, you control
    whether or not to call the vote. Never call it unless you are sure
    you can win.

    Or if you don't mind reloading a save game. Save before finishing
    it, call the vote, then reload if you lose.

    It is tricky to tell if you'll win the vote, but not impossible.
    The two biggest civs will be the main candidates -- make sure that
    you're one of them. Second, make sure that more people like you
    rather than your opponent. A simple -- if sad -- way to make sure of
    that is to start a war against your competitor, then get more allies.
    The AI never votes for a civ it is at war with.

    It is game breaking in that the AI "intuitively" knows if it will win
    the vote, so if it owns the UN it will call for a vote if it can win.
    The only way to stop this is to make sure that you get the UN.

    That, in effect, adds another tech/wonder race to the end game.
    Like the space victory, except that only one player can control the
    outcome.

    I've had diplo victories, but have no idea if have any saved games
    with them.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Mike" <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:a1k2o0l6q0i9680gsppcqekmqaot5m2i8r@4ax.com...
    > I never play with this win condition on. It seems kind of cheesy. Does
    > anyone have a modern era or close to modern era save game with this
    > win condition turned on? I want to see it in action before I commit to
    > a game with it on. You can email your save game to
    > mikesol@optonline.net. Thanks.

    Ok, Mike, as a result of your request I turned ON diplomatic,
    and posted my current .sav to alt.binaries.games.civ2
    (C3C 1.22 / Archipelago/ Americans/ Deity/ End in 2250AD).

    It's not exactly what you asked for, that pain in the *ss AKA the UN is
    still 20 or 30 turns away, but I believe that if I take no action Babylonians
    will win the popular (as well as the electoral college) vote.

    Currently I am leaning towards a terrorist attack on whatever Babylonian city
    will build the UN. I could probably amass several dozens of guerilla and
    artillery units next to that city, abusing ROP; and raze it to the ground right
    after they Finnish the UN. A radical ultimate solution. My problem (besides moral
    issues and ruined reputation) is that I do not know if I'd have that single turn
    between the UN is completed and the vote is called. I had not have that diplomatic
    option ON for a while.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:01:20 GMT, "alex" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Ok, Mike, as a result of your request I turned ON diplomatic,
    >and posted my current .sav to alt.binaries.games.civ2
    >(C3C 1.22 / Archipelago/ Americans/ Deity/ End in 2250AD).

    Ok I found it. Thank you very much.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "alex" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Mike" <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> I never play with this win condition on. It seems kind of cheesy. Does
    >> anyone have a modern era or close to modern era save game with this
    >> win condition turned on? I want to see it in action before I commit to
    >> a game with it on. You can email your save game to
    >> mikesol@optonline.net. Thanks.
    >
    > Ok, Mike, as a result of your request I turned ON diplomatic,
    > and posted my current .sav to alt.binaries.games.civ2
    > (C3C 1.22 / Archipelago/ Americans/ Deity/ End in 2250AD).
    >
    > It's not exactly what you asked for, that pain in the *ss AKA the UN is
    > still 20 or 30 turns away, but I believe that if I take no action
    > Babylonians
    > will win the popular (as well as the electoral college) vote.

    Imperialist pigs anyway.

    > Currently I am leaning towards a terrorist attack on whatever Babylonian
    > city
    > will build the UN. I could probably amass several dozens of guerilla and
    > artillery units next to that city, abusing ROP; and raze it to the ground
    > right
    > after they Finnish the UN. A radical ultimate solution. My problem
    > (besides moral
    > issues and ruined reputation) is that I do not know if I'd have that
    > single turn
    > between the UN is completed and the vote is called. I had not have that
    > diplomatic
    > option ON for a while.

    Made the game more interesting didn't it? ;)

    You won't have that turn to attack IF the ai knows it can win a vote. The UN
    is a wonder *YOU must* build or figure out a way to get 1/2 the civs at war
    with whoever is going to build it.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > > Currently I am leaning towards a terrorist attack on whatever Babylonian
    > > city
    > > will build the UN. I could probably amass several dozens of guerilla and
    > > artillery units next to that city, abusing ROP; and raze it to the ground
    > > right
    > > after they Finnish the UN. A radical ultimate solution. My problem
    > > (besides moral
    > > issues and ruined reputation) is that I do not know if I'd have that
    > > single turn
    > > between the UN is completed and the vote is called. I had not have that
    > > diplomatic
    > > option ON for a while.
    >
    > Made the game more interesting didn't it? ;)

    I respectfully disagree. Just more tense. I spent 100 turns chasing the
    Great Library, then 100 turns techno chase, then 50 turns the UN chase.
    It turned out though that AI was not intersted at all in bulding the UN,
    so I built it myself and easily won the vote 5-1-(1 abstained). The guy
    who abstained was me: I was not prepared to take the chair and the
    responsibility of world peacekeeping with 14 guerillas and 5 tanks.

    BTW, it looks like a good idea to pretand building the Manhattan Project,
    and switch to the the UN at the very last moment. Otherwise the AI will
    try to sabotage the gamebreaker.

    > You won't have that turn to attack IF the ai knows it can win a vote. The UN
    > is a wonder *YOU must* build or figure out a way to get 1/2 the civs at war
    > with whoever is going to build it.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:27:32 GMT, "alex" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
    wrote:

    >> > Currently I am leaning towards a terrorist attack on whatever Babylonian
    >> > city
    >> > will build the UN. I could probably amass several dozens of guerilla and
    >> > artillery units next to that city, abusing ROP; and raze it to the ground
    >> > right
    >> > after they Finnish the UN. A radical ultimate solution. My problem
    >> > (besides moral
    >> > issues and ruined reputation) is that I do not know if I'd have that
    >> > single turn
    >> > between the UN is completed and the vote is called. I had not have that
    >> > diplomatic
    >> > option ON for a while.
    >>
    >> Made the game more interesting didn't it? ;)
    >
    >I respectfully disagree. Just more tense. I spent 100 turns chasing the
    >Great Library, then 100 turns techno chase, then 50 turns the UN chase.
    >It turned out though that AI was not intersted at all in bulding the UN,
    >so I built it myself and easily won the vote 5-1-(1 abstained). The guy
    >who abstained was me: I was not prepared to take the chair and the
    >responsibility of world peacekeeping with 14 guerillas and 5 tanks.
    >
    >BTW, it looks like a good idea to pretand building the Manhattan Project,
    >and switch to the the UN at the very last moment. Otherwise the AI will
    >try to sabotage the gamebreaker.
    >
    >> You won't have that turn to attack IF the ai knows it can win a vote. The UN
    >> is a wonder *YOU must* build or figure out a way to get 1/2 the civs at war
    >> with whoever is going to build it.

    My first Election, I didn't realize what was happening. I voted for
    an opponent.

    Buck

    PS I won
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Mike" <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:rp3mo0l5u7v8ak5c98723lmatuj1b3m9s0@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:01:20 GMT, "alex" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Ok, Mike, as a result of your request I turned ON diplomatic,
    > >and posted my current .sav to alt.binaries.games.civ2
    > >(C3C 1.22 / Archipelago/ Americans/ Deity/ End in 2250AD).
    >
    > Ok I found it. Thank you very much.

    Sorry I was wrong. Babylonians did not want the UN and it took
    47 turns instead of expected 20-30 turns. The .sav just before
    the UN victory is in alt.binaries.games.civ2 as usually.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:27:34 GMT, "alex" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Sorry I was wrong. Babylonians did not want the UN and it took
    >47 turns instead of expected 20-30 turns. The .sav just before
    >the UN victory is in alt.binaries.games.civ2 as usually.

    Well I did not even try your last save yet. I grabbed the other one.
    Thank you again.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > >I respectfully disagree. Just more tense. I spent 100 turns chasing the
    > >Great Library, then 100 turns techno chase, then 50 turns the UN chase.
    > >It turned out though that AI was not intersted at all in bulding the UN,
    > >so I built it myself and easily won the vote 5-1-(1 abstained). The guy
    > >who abstained was me: I was not prepared to take the chair and the
    > >responsibility of world peacekeeping with 14 guerillas and 5 tanks.

    Just wondering.... If you win the UN vote, you win the game. Why worry about
    peacekeeping with your small army? I built the UN and when the question
    popped up as to if I wanted to call a vote, I regretfully said "Yes". It was
    between me and Japan's leader. He won; the only vote for me was mine. Of
    course, I was at war with India and Russia at the time. I wiped them out on
    the reload and won the Space Race.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Rob Maxwell" <robu-san@excite.com> wrote in

    > "Mike" <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>I never play with this win condition on. It seems kind of cheesy. Does
    >> anyone have a modern era or close to modern era save game with this
    >> win condition turned on? I want to see it in action before I commit
    >> to a game with it on. You can email your save game to
    >> mikesol@optonline.net. Thanks.
    >

    > It's too difficult. I played with diplomacy on once, built the United
    > Nations, which triggered a vote that I lost 4-1 thus ending the game
    > right there. Needless to say, I switched it off from there on out.
    >
    > -Rob

    I found it the easiest and my preferred modern era victory (hate the
    space race).

    Essentially, a case of behaving yourself especially immediately before a
    vote. Never break alliances or mutual protection pacts. You can forget
    it if the former though I have won a diplomatic victory after
    inadvertently breaking an mpp. Never break an rop.

    Build up trade, give other civs luxuries or techs again preferably just
    before a vote. Ally against aggressive civs.

    As someone else has mentioned, a pretty sure fire way of winning is to
    isolate your competitor by allying against it.

    --
    Joe Soap
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:00:27 GMT, Joe Soap <jsoap@toilet.com> wrote:

    >"Rob Maxwell" <robu-san@excite.com> wrote in
    >

    >> "Mike" <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>>I never play with this win condition on. It seems kind of cheesy. Does
    >>> anyone have a modern era or close to modern era save game with this
    >>> win condition turned on? I want to see it in action before I commit
    >>> to a game with it on. You can email your save game to
    >>> mikesol@optonline.net. Thanks.
    >>

    >> It's too difficult. I played with diplomacy on once, built the United
    >> Nations, which triggered a vote that I lost 4-1 thus ending the game
    >> right there. Needless to say, I switched it off from there on out.
    >>
    >> -Rob
    >>

    >I found it the easiest and my preferred modern era victory (hate the
    >space race).
    >
    >Essentially, a case of behaving yourself especially immediately before a
    >vote. Never break alliances or mutual protection pacts. You can forget
    >it if the former though I have won a diplomatic victory after
    >inadvertently breaking an mpp. Never break an rop.
    >
    >Build up trade, give other civs luxuries or techs again preferably just
    >before a vote. Ally against aggressive civs.
    >
    >As someone else has mentioned, a pretty sure fire way of winning is to
    >isolate your competitor by allying against it.

    This reminds me. If you create an MPP, and destroy an opponent, no
    problem, but if you create a military alliance against an opponent and
    then destroy that opponent, you get hated by the world.

    Try firing off 5 nukes and then call for an election. :)

    Buck
    For What its Worth,

    Buck

    Here I sit all anxious hearted, waiting around to just get started.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in news:b9mgd.1314
    $dO1.581@news01.roc.ny:

    > You may opt not to and it will then ask every 5 or 10 turns or
    > something like that.

    About 12 turns I've found.

    --
    Joe Soap
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in

    > It is game breaking in that the AI "intuitively" knows if it will win
    > the vote, so if it owns the UN it will call for a vote if it can win.
    > The only way to stop this is to make sure that you get the UN.

    It won't always win when it calls a vote, at least in my experience.

    --
    Joe Soap
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:03:10 GMT, Joe Soap <jsoap@toilet.com> wrote:

    >Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in
    >
    >> It is game breaking in that the AI "intuitively" knows if it will win
    >> the vote, so if it owns the UN it will call for a vote if it can win.
    >> The only way to stop this is to make sure that you get the UN.
    >
    >It won't always win when it calls a vote, at least in my experience.

    I've never noticed it losing when it calls for the vote.

    But usually, I try to hold the UN, so I don't see this happen very
    often. I fear that if I let the AI get the UN, it is going to call
    the vote and win -- so obviously, I have to do something to stop that
    from happening.

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    The Great Gazoo <thegreat@ga.zoo> wrote in

    > Try firing off 5 nukes and then call for an election. :)

    Never let off a nuke yet.

    I'm a bit of hippie, see :)

    --
    Joe Soap
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > I've never noticed it losing when it calls for the vote.

    No, neither have I.

    > But usually, I try to hold the UN, so I don't see this happen very
    > often. I fear that if I let the AI get the UN, it is going to call
    > the vote and win -- so obviously, I have to do something to stop that
    > from happening.

    Same here. As I said in another post, it's my preferred modern era victory.
    I regard the space race as tedious and something of a failure. imo,
    domination, conquest and cultural victories require the most skill,
    followed by the UN; I only go for the space race if I can't win any other
    way.

    btw, why do you think that isolating a UN opponent by allying against it is
    sad? Good technique, I would have thought.

    --
    Joe Soap
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:47:55 GMT, Joe Soap <jsoap@toilet.com> wrote:

    >The Great Gazoo <thegreat@ga.zoo> wrote in
    >
    >> Try firing off 5 nukes and then call for an election. :)
    >

    >Never let off a nuke yet.
    >
    >I'm a bit of hippie, see :)

    They aren't liked at all. Hippy or not, i don't care to see someone in
    this world even consider using nukes, but I can handle using them in a
    game :)

    Buck

    For What its Worth,

    Buck
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:56:55 GMT, Joe Soap <jsoap@toilet.com> wrote:

    >Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I've never noticed it losing when it calls for the vote.
    >
    >No, neither have I.
    >

    >> But usually, I try to hold the UN, so I don't see this happen very
    >> often. I fear that if I let the AI get the UN, it is going to call
    >> the vote and win -- so obviously, I have to do something to stop that
    >> from happening.
    >>

    >Same here. As I said in another post, it's my preferred modern era victory.
    >I regard the space race as tedious and something of a failure. imo,
    >domination, conquest and cultural victories require the most skill,
    >followed by the UN; I only go for the space race if I can't win any other
    >way.

    I find the space race entirely too easy -- unless I'm behind in
    tech, in which case, it at least speeds up the end game, rather than
    waiting for the AI to kill me :-) Even there, the fact that you can
    counter it by taking the capital does allow you to win the race, even
    though you're behind in tech, as long as you can survive long enough
    to finish it -- while taking out everyone else.

    >btw, why do you think that isolating a UN opponent by allying against it is
    >sad? Good technique, I would have thought.

    Good technique, but not nice diplomacy.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > I find the space race entirely too easy -- unless I'm behind in
    > tech, in which case, it at least speeds up the end game, rather than
    > waiting for the AI to kill me :-) Even there, the fact that you can
    > counter it by taking the capital does allow you to win the race, even
    > though you're behind in tech, as long as you can survive long enough
    > to finish it -- while taking out everyone else.

    I remember one conquests where I had 6 out of 10 parts built 2 in
    production and 3 techs to research against the Vikings who had 8 parts
    built with 2 in production. No way I was going to win this one, I thought.
    So, in desperation, I decided to mix things up by declaring war against
    them with alliances, though it was too late to do any damage to them. It
    completely gave up the space race and I won easily. Shows the value of
    having ai civs at war with each other.

    --
    Joe Soap
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:27:35 -0500 Mike <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    <rp3mo0l5u7v8ak5c98723lmatuj1b3m9s0@4ax.com>...

    > On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:01:20 GMT, "alex" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Ok, Mike, as a result of your request I turned ON diplomatic,
    > >and posted my current .sav to alt.binaries.games.civ2
    > >(C3C 1.22 / Archipelago/ Americans/ Deity/ End in 2250AD).
    >
    > Ok I found it. Thank you very much.

    Do you need another one? I have a saved game in which I build the UN this
    turn. I can win the vote (by bribing Portugal this turn) or tie it (no
    action). I don't appear to be able to lose it, because nobody else will
    vote for the Dutch. It's a huge map with seven surviving civs (out of 16) /
    C3C 1.22 / Pangaea / Japanese / Demigod / No mods.

    --
    Daran

    The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
    English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
    on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
    unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll

Games Email Video Games