msnmsgr.exe bypasses group policy when opening hotmail

Hi,

I have set group policy's on our domain to not allow msnmsgr.exe to run and
also enabled the "do not allow messenger" in both the user and computer
domain policy. This works fine if you try to launch msnmsgr from the
program menu but when someone opens hotmail, msnmsgr.exe automatically
starts... Nice touch microsoft, create administration option then ensure
your software bypasses them....

Can anyone suggest fix for this pls, prefereable one that can be centrally
managed/administered !

Thanks very much

Steve Lloyd.

Greetings Steve,

I'll have to try and reproduce this here, but what's happening is Hotmail has a built-in
permission wihin Internet Explorer to access the Messenger API, which then if not running,
automatically starts. I'll have to do some further investigation into this one.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Steve Lloyd" <RemoveSteveThis@laxeyRemovepartners.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have set group policy's on our domain to not allow msnmsgr.exe to run and also enabled
> the "do not allow messenger" in both the user and computer domain policy. This works fine
> if you try to launch msnmsgr from the program menu but when someone opens hotmail,
> msnmsgr.exe automatically starts... Nice touch microsoft, create administration option
> then ensure your software bypasses them....
>
> Can anyone suggest fix for this pls, prefereable one that can be centrally
> managed/administered !
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Steve Lloyd.

Ok, i look forward to your response.

Did I mention then msnmsgr.exe is in the processes list in task manager....
gpresult shows that policy has been applied.

Thanks,

Steve.