Removal of Messenger from system tray

October 6, 2004 1:07:54 PM

I see there are many posts regarding Windows Messenger.
I've removed the check mark to start it when Windows
starts and I've unchecked the MSN choice in my Norton
options but every time I open Outlook, I get the Messenger
icon in the system tray. Isn't there a way to remove it
from the system tray permanently? Thanks!
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 5:09:29 PM

Greetings,

Whenever Messenger starts it will go into the notification area (the real name of the
so-called system tray). However, to stop this behavior with Outlook,

Firstly, to stop the behavior in Outlook -- for Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu in
Outlook, then choose Options, choose the Other tab, uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart
Tag" and click OK.

For Outlook 2002/XP, open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the Other tab,
and uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.

For Outlook Express, close Outlook Express, then download and run this .reg file:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

!