40 hours to win med map monarch

hi Civvers

It took me 40 hours to win on my own map medium/monarch/7 civs - for some
reason I had to fight for most of it (at least on my map it was possible to
avoid being overrun while still easy to engage enemy).

I was wondering what sort of length games other players have while on medium
map. Was that 40 hours an unusually high time.
I am trying for peace at all cost at mo on my Emporer game )

ATB
The Chris

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"The Chris" <chris_barry@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> hi Civvers
>
> It took me 40 hours to win on my own map medium/monarch/7 civs - for some
> reason I had to fight for most of it (at least on my map it was possible
> to avoid being overrun while still easy to engage enemy).
>
> I was wondering what sort of length games other players have while on
> medium map. Was that 40 hours an unusually high time.
> I am trying for peace at all cost at mo on my Emporer game )

On a medium sized map at monarch level, about 20 hours is average for me..
(I do restart the random maps a few times, until I get a starting postion I
like), and monarch is the level I play on most, any higher and the game just
becomes too tricky for me - I have won them (emporer level) when I play them
through to the end, but end up with a worse score than if I had played on
regent/monarch level!

Dave

---

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 21:15:39 GMT, "The Chris"
<chris_barry@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>hi Civvers
>
>It took me 40 hours to win on my own map medium/monarch/7 civs - for some
>reason I had to fight for most of it (at least on my map it was possible to
>avoid being overrun while still easy to engage enemy).
>
>I was wondering what sort of length games other players have while on medium
>map. Was that 40 hours an unusually high time.
>I am trying for peace at all cost at mo on my Emporer game )
>
>ATB
>The Chris

It always takes me that long to play game of civ at monarch. If I
accelerate production I can speed things up.

>>map. Was that 40 hours an unusually high time.
>>I am trying for peace at all cost at mo on my Emporer game )
>>
>>ATB
>>The Chris
>
> It always takes me that long to play game of civ at monarch. If I
> accelerate production I can speed things up.

I did try that though It did not feel right after all these years of normal
procuction. I may have to give it another go.

ATB
The Chris

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:46:47 GMT, "The Chris"
<chris_barry@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>> It always takes me that long to play game of civ at monarch. If I
>> accelerate production I can speed things up.
>
>I did try that though It did not feel right after all these years of normal
>procuction. I may have to give it another go.

I think with a normal speed game each choice you make has a higher
impact. With AP you can quickly make up for a mistake.

One negative side of AP is it is tougher to balance military.
Sometimes you end up with too many units too support. Or your
neighbor does and decides to use them on you.

On the other I think 40 hours is a long time for only one game.

"P12" <nowhere@all.com> wrote in message

>On the other I think 40 hours is a long time for only one >game.

That is what I thought, I am sure now that it was all the fighting - which
I normally avoid. It was definitely not my maps fault as my current emporer
game has seen only a few tiny conflicts though it has cost me a bit in bribe
payments )

ATB
The Chris

"The Chris" <chris_barry@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<%NShd.13061$Bk6.5997@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> hi Civvers
>
> It took me 40 hours to win on my own map medium/monarch/7 civs - for some
> reason I had to fight for most of it (at least on my map it was possible to
> avoid being overrun while still easy to engage enemy).
>
> I was wondering what sort of length games other players have while on medium
> map. Was that 40 hours an unusually high time.
> I am trying for peace at all cost at mo on my Emporer game )
>
> ATB
> The Chris

30 hours is normal for me for the epic game. But I don't fight as
much.

I'm also a little bit slow playing, it took me 6 hours to win
Mesoptana as Greece without fighting. (A few barb camps cleared while
exploring, but that's it.) I'm told some people have won that one in
only two hours.

I like to play it easy, on the Chieftain level, just to see how far ahead I
can get of the AI. Kinda fun to roll over Spearmen with modern armor <g>.
Avergae game time is a few klicks under 30 hrs. I use AP and carefully
manage my units (upgrading, and using regular troops to fight with vets
protecting my cities. I fight only for resources or on the rare occasion I
get attacked