Sign in with
Your question

Help in choosing the right vid card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2002 2:20:06 PM

OK, I just bought Asheron's Call 2 over the past weekend and I must say that it absolutely kicks *** . I don't even know what I'm really doing but hey, I'm having fun doing it!

But back to the topic at hand. In most of the reviews for it, they mentioned that it's a pretty graphic-intensive game. And they're not kidding. Right now, I have a 64MB ATI Radeon 7000 and it auto-detects me to the "low" setting. Now, the game still looks good, but there are also settings for "Medium", "High" and "VERY HIGH". (Seriously, how many games out there have a VERY HIGH setting?!?!?)

So, with those video settings just flaunting themselves out there, naturally, I want to see what those fancy shmancy graphics look like. I've been toying with the idea of getting a new video card lately, but this game has basically pushed me over the edge.

I'm looking at getting either the ATI Radeon 9500 Pro or the Radeon 9700 (not the 9700 Pro) because that's what I can afford right now.

I've done a little research on video cards lately, but I was hoping for some first-hand experience from some of the gurus here. What are the things to keep in mind when choosing a new video card?

My system specs are Pentium 4, 1.5 Ghz, 384MB PC800 RAM, 60GB HD, 64MB Radeon 7000, Soundblaster Live!, CD-RW Drive and the rest is basically the standard stuff.

I know that you have to know whether it's PCI or AGP and my current card is AGP. I also know that you have to have a power supply large enough to handle a larger card. I'll have to check on the wattage of my current power supply when I get home. Are there any other things to keep in mind? Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

More about : choosing vid card

December 23, 2002 3:47:06 PM

are you only going with ati? for low budgey.. i still think the GeForce 3 ti500's are nice cards

This Community is like a Second Family!!
December 23, 2002 4:51:39 PM

I am looking for a card too and leaning toward the Ati 9500 pro now since its afforable, was going to go for the 9700 pro but I think 399 for a video card is too much, plus I would have to wait a couple of weeks to get that, I want somthing now. I usually make the wrong decisions but someone else said the card is very good and wont see a differance in them that much. Just as long as games run smooth, I could care less about the fancy stuff
December 23, 2002 6:45:58 PM

Im not a big fan of ati, so i would be able to tell you which of them to get.. I personaly like to get top of the line products... so IF i was you.. I'd really save up for a 9700 PRO.. even tho i will never buy an ATI card.. i can say it's a nice card and performs well from reading reviews and stuff...

but since you said money was an Issue.. Geforce 3 ti500 is a great card for the money.. some other's might suggest like a geforce4 ti4200 or one of the lower geforce4's... but the geforce 3 ti500 is a pretty sweet card still..

but if you think about it this way.. if you spend the 399$ for the 9700PRO, you'll be in gaming heaven for a while.. and wouldn't have to worry about getting another vid card for awhile.. think about the Future!..lol hope that helps

This Community is like a Second Family!!
!