Played a lot of Civ3 vanilla, but this was my first decent game of
Conquests.
Game ran perfectly up to about 1400 AD, and then crashed... the screen went
blurry. Lose my mouse and have to do a hard reset.
I can reload the autosave and each time ill get a few more turns further in,
but it always ends up crashing the same way.

Dont think its hardware or drivers since I played about 8 hours without a
glitch (getting to 1400). Maybe something about the savegame? Anyone else
had this?

Everything else runs fine.

9600xt, catalyst 4.10, windows XP.
CPU is athalon, 1 gig ram, loads of free disk space.

"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> skrev i meddelelsen

> Everything else runs fine.

Did you install the latest patch?

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

"Arcana Dragon" <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote in message
> "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> skrev i meddelelsen
>
>> Everything else runs fine.
>
> Did you install the latest patch?

Yes, patched with Civ3Conquestsv122FULL.exe

"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in message
> Played a lot of Civ3 vanilla, but this was my first decent game of
> Conquests.
> Game ran perfectly up to about 1400 AD, and then crashed... the screen
> went blurry. Lose my mouse and have to do a hard reset.
> I can reload the autosave and each time ill get a few more turns further
> in, but it always ends up crashing the same way.
>
> Dont think its hardware or drivers since I played about 8 hours without a
> glitch (getting to 1400). Maybe something about the savegame? Anyone else
> had this?
>
> Everything else runs fine.
>
> 9600xt, catalyst 4.10, windows XP.
> CPU is athalon, 1 gig ram, loads of free disk space.

You might want to check the cpu temperature. Civ3 raises mine by about 10
degrees C. More if the fan & heatsink are dirty. Same with the video card.

It is possible that the save game got corrupted.

With all that memory, did you reduce the virtual memory file size?

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 08:45:48 GMT, The Stare wrote:

>"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in message

>> Played a lot of Civ3 vanilla, but this was my first decent game of
>> Conquests.
>> Game ran perfectly up to about 1400 AD, and then crashed... the screen
>> went blurry. Lose my mouse and have to do a hard reset.
>> I can reload the autosave and each time ill get a few more turns further
>> in, but it always ends up crashing the same way.
>>
>> Dont think its hardware or drivers since I played about 8 hours without a
>> glitch (getting to 1400). Maybe something about the savegame? Anyone else
>> had this?

>You might want to check the cpu temperature. Civ3 raises mine by about 10
>degrees C. More if the fan & heatsink are dirty. Same with the video card.

I have data to support that theory.

I frequently got a blue screen on my moderately overclocked P4, but when I
set the clock frequency back to nominal, the symptom disappeared.

The crashes always happened during the end-of-turn phase, and only after the
game reached a considerable age/size. This I explain by the longer periods
of full CPU load.
--
Best regards,
Henrik Dissing

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

<wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

>You might want to check the cpu temperature. Civ3 raises mine by about 10
>degrees C. More if the fan & heatsink are dirty. Same with the video card.

I get one moderately-frequent CTD, on the F3 key when I go to upgrade
military units. Usually late in the game, happens about 10% of the
time. I've never been able to correlate it with anything else
happening. Just save before I use F3 or reload the auto. A PITA, but
not fatal. Has happened with every version of Conquests; didn't happen
with PTW or original.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

"Steve Bartman" <sbartman@visi.com> wrote...

<< I get one moderately-frequent CTD, on the F3 key when I go to upgrade
military units...Has happened with every version of Conquests; didn't happen
with PTW or original. >>

I've had that as a re-occuring problem with the game from the start.

Peter Smith

"Steve Bartman" <sbartman@visi.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 08:45:48 GMT, "The Stare"
> <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
>>You might want to check the cpu temperature. Civ3 raises mine by about 10
>>degrees C. More if the fan & heatsink are dirty. Same with the video card.
>
> I get one moderately-frequent CTD, on the F3 key when I go to upgrade
> military units. Usually late in the game, happens about 10% of the
> time. I've never been able to correlate it with anything else
> happening. Just save before I use F3 or reload the auto. A PITA, but
> not fatal. Has happened with every version of Conquests; didn't happen
> with PTW or original.

The F3 crash is well known and been around since VC3. I think someone
figured out the conditions that will trigger it. Don't quote me, but... i
think it is when there are alot of military units and you have the MA sorted
by unit type... or maybe it's city... i forget.

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 21:35:47 GMT, "The Stare"
<wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

>The F3 crash is well known and been around since VC3.

Hmm. Don't recall it, but OK.

I think someone
>figured out the conditions that will trigger it. Don't quote me, but... i
>think it is when there are alot of military units and you have the MA sorted
>by unit type... or maybe it's city... i forget.

I always sort by unit type, and notice it happens more with many units
built. Some sort of memory leak probably.

I only play RAR or DYP these days; thought it was unique to them.
Re-loading not so bad, except with huge map/32 civ late games. They
can take a couple of minutes to load the data structures.

Steve

--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

"Steve Bartman" <sbartman@visi.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 08:45:48 GMT, "The Stare"
> <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
>>You might want to check the cpu temperature. Civ3 raises mine by about 10
>>degrees C. More if the fan & heatsink are dirty. Same with the video card.
>
> I get one moderately-frequent CTD, on the F3 key when I go to upgrade
> military units. Usually late in the game, happens about 10% of the
> time. I've never been able to correlate it with anything else
> happening. Just save before I use F3 or reload the auto. A PITA, but
> not fatal. Has happened with every version of Conquests; didn't happen
> with PTW or original.

That happens to me also, it also happened with me on vanilla and PTW (on a
really really old P2). Now I'm using a fast laptop with oodles o Ram and HD
Space, and I get CTD about 10% of the time like you do.

GWB