AGP ATI Radeon Problem

Bontane

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
I'm building a computer and I put in a ATI Radeon 9000 card (made by Powercolor, I believe), and it doesn't work. When I turn the computer on, the monitor will turn on, the computer will beep once, and then the monitor will turn off. I plugged in a PCI graphics card, and everything worked fine. I went into the BIOS and changed the primary graphics adapter from PCI to AGP, the AGP speed to 4x, and the aperture size to 64MB (which is the size of the card). I then took out the PCI, put in the AGP, and I had the exact same problem. I have a MSI-KT4V motherboard, which has the VIA KT400 chipset. My processor is the 2100+... Is the graphics card defective or do I need to change a setting?
Thanks for your help!

- Griffin

Farnobious

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
You know I am having the exact same problem with my 9700 Pro. I tried another monitor and it dose the same. I would like to know any answer people give!

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
While you have the pci card in you should uninstall the drivers for it and install the drivers for the ATI card. Then shutdown, remove the pci card, install the ATI card, start-up, and make any bios changes necessary. That is the process I used to install my 9700 Pro.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Is this a brand new system or an upgrade? What mobo are you using?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
The problem is the card doesn't function at the basic aspects at all. When the R9000 is installed nothing shows up at all. I don't think it's about driver issues. The card seems defective or there are system incompatibilities.

Bontane

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
Tried upgrading the BIOS for the mboard to 1.6 from 1.0. In 1.4 an incompatibility problem for ATI 8500 was fixed. However, the BIOS update did absolutely nothing. The monitor still turns on for a second, then turns off. Still trying to figure this out...

- Griffin

Farnobious

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
With mine, I turn it on from cold ... nothing happens. The Computer fires up with all the fans/hds/psu etc, but the monitor dosent respond. I switch it off at the mains and fire it up again and its fine. Monitor works! Cant really understand it.

zero9ine

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
I read on guru3d.com i think that they had problems running the 9700 pro radeon card on mobos with the VIA KT400 chipset they couldnt get it working at all, maybe thats the same problem with the 9000 model.

could be wrong but im sure I read that.