Stop Messenger from running, period!

I once got a response from a Microsoft MVP regarding
ediiting the registry to stop Messenger from running. I
have reinstalled XP and need that info again. It was a
very small little change to one line in the registry, and
that would stop Messenger from popping up with those
annoying prompts. Anyone out there please help!
5 answers Last reply
More about stop messenger running period

    Greetings Harry,

    Like this?
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/disablemessenger.reg
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "harry-o" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I once got a response from a Microsoft MVP regarding
    > ediiting the registry to stop Messenger from running. I
    > have reinstalled XP and need that info again. It was a
    > very small little change to one line in the registry, and
    > that would stop Messenger from popping up with those
    > annoying prompts. Anyone out there please help!

    Even better than expected Jonathan. Thanks!

    Kay.

    >"harry-o" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >>I once got a response from a Microsoft MVP regarding
    >> ediiting the registry to stop Messenger from running. I
    >> have reinstalled XP and need that info again. It was a
    >> very small little change to one line in the registry, and
    >> that would stop Messenger from popping up with those
    >> annoying prompts. Anyone out there please help!
    >

    >.

    Hi,

    You're very welcome =)
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > Even better than expected Jonathan. Thanks!

    Jonathan

    Will this stop Messenger from running automatically when I start Windows
    Media Player 9 but still allow my daughter to run messenger when she wants
    it. Its only been a nuisance since I loaded SP2.

    Cheers

    casey

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Harry,
    >
    > Like this?
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/disablemessenger.reg
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "harry-o" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I once got a response from a Microsoft MVP regarding
    > > ediiting the registry to stop Messenger from running. I
    > > have reinstalled XP and need that info again. It was a
    > > very small little change to one line in the registry, and
    > > that would stop Messenger from popping up with those
    > > annoying prompts. Anyone out there please help!

    Hi Casey,

    Yes, this will stop it from running totally.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "caseym" <caseym@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Jonathan
    >
    > Will this stop Messenger from running automatically when I start Windows
    > Media Player 9 but still allow my daughter to run messenger when she wants
    > it. Its only been a nuisance since I loaded SP2.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > casey
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings Harry,
    >>
    >> Like this?
    >> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/disablemessenger.reg
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "harry-o" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I once got a response from a Microsoft MVP regarding
    >> > ediiting the registry to stop Messenger from running. I
    >> > have reinstalled XP and need that info again. It was a
    >> > very small little change to one line in the registry, and
    >> > that would stop Messenger from popping up with those
    >> > annoying prompts. Anyone out there please help!

Messenger Microsoft Registry Windows XP