Which GeForce4????

SabreFan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Greetings!

I am upgrading my system, I will have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with AMD XP2600+ and 1GB of DDR400 memory.

My "older" system I use a Gainward GeForce3 Golden Sample with 64mb of RAM and have been happy with that to date. Does anyone have a recommendation for a GeForce4 ti4600?

This system is used for gaming, Everquest to be exact.

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SabreFan on 12/23/02 10:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Thats a simple question. If you've got the extra cash, go for an Albatron GeForce4 Ti4600, or even take a look at the XFX (www.xfxgraphics.com) line of Geforce cards. Otherwise, if you're dollar conscienscious, nothing beats the quality and value of an MSI.

Staggering out of the shower this morning, I hear the hair-dryer. "Whose awake?" I think... Till I realize its my computer - talk about a windtunnel

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I recommend Radeon 9500 Pro BBA. It's a much better buy than GF4 Ti4600/4400.

Let us know what is the Best Chipset of 2002 in your eye.<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26410#26410" target="_new"> Click </A>

SabreFan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Well, I guess you missed the part of my post that said "Which GeForce4??" Don't like ATI, won't buy ATI!

Also, for those of you who do recommend a GeForce4 ti4600 card to me could you please give a brief explanation of why you would buy that particular card as opposed to any other, thanks!

G

PNY, Inno3D, eVGA, MSI: are all really good values but don't have much overclocking potential.

If you plan to overclock your GF4, get a Leadtek. They have 2 fans and Winfox Overclocking software.

Ever since the Radeon9700, GF4 prices have been really cheap, especailly on internet stores. The price range of brands is probably only $40 at the most.

Most people live at the speed of life, I drink Mountain Dew!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If you buy nVidia cards, then buy MSI cards

Let us know what is the Best Chipset of 2002 in your eye.<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26410#26410" target="_new"> Click </A>

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Well here's a question when do you plan to make the purchase cause the gefprce 4 is a little gray around the edges for such a fast system I mean if you don't plan to upgrade in the next 2 years. If you can wait awhile nv31 cards look nice.
This is slightly off topic why don't you borrow a radeon 9500 pro and compare with a ti 4600. I mean ATI products of past were somewhat disappointing, but of late the r300 was a big surprise and the performance you get and money saved with the r9500 pro is unmatched. Just consider the options don't deny yourself because of past experiences. Remeber the first nVIDIA card the nv1 is classified as the worst gaming card ever hands down,but look were they are now.

I am not an ATI fanATIc just a fan and ready to admit when there is a better graphics card. I mean I love the nforce2 (anybody want to buy me one).

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
haha fanATIc's, thats almost as good as NVIDiot.
The good thing about buying geforce4's is that they are pretty much the same thing no matter who makes them so you can buy based on pretty box color or fancy name if you so like. Some have better costumer suport or better packaging such as free games and and bells and whistles aswell.
Id also say get a 9500 pro. Sure im a fanATIc but ive had experience with both and the 9500pro is just obviously better. Not that the geforce4 is a bad card, but in comparison the 4600 just isnt worth it these days.

Everquest is the debil

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
don't buy a gf4ti4600.

eighter get a gf4ti4200 and overclock, wait months and pay much too much for buggy first release gfFX, or get a radeon9500/9700.

the radeons are currently by far the best choises.

don't be a fanboy. you only loose if you move away from other possibilities. you _always_ loose. espencially currently as nvidia simply as company stays more and more in trouble. i wish nvidia best luck with the gfFX, but it does not look that good as it did say a year a go for their future.

racism is build upon staying only on one side and hiding possible good from the other side.. doesn't mather if its about races, or companies. racism is never good for the one practicing and the one that gets the "bad race"

open your eyes

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

ferrari

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2002
i have read several reviews of 9500 pro. it is better than ti4600 when you turn on AA and AF. if you dont turn these options on, then it will lose to the ti4600. in the past, turning on these options means dead to framrate, but the 9500 would still give you very playable framerate even with the hits by AA and AF whether as the hits to ti4600 is a lot more severe giving it lower framerate than 9500. If you want to oc your 9500 pro, then you might have to modify the bios. chk out hardocp.com. there are words that the 9500 pro might be clock locked and might need a bios mod to allow it to be oc. Guess in this aspect, this card is not as friendly to oc as the ti but then, i guess it;s understandable that ati does want to make sure that their market segmentation is in place. 9500 does have a lot of potential.

Now if i can only get my 9700 pro to work with additional pci gfx cards so i can drive 3+ monitors at once.....

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I can't believe nobody mentioned LEADTEK..

Leadtek has a nice bundle of goodies... and the card performs great!

This Community is like a Second Family!!