contro

Hi guys!

I don't know if you remember me, but I was here a while back asking a lot of
questions, and getting a lot of useful help!

Well, I finally managed to get around to playing a good game of Civ, and
have won on Regent difficulty! I won by miles in the end too, it has to be
said! It was the best and most convincing game I've ever had! I think the
main problem I had originally was just trying to build my starting cities
too far away from each other, whereas if I had built them nearer, things
would have all gone great.

But I do still have a few questions though :)

How many shields, commerce, food, should each city be provided with usually?
Is there some sort of guide or way of knowing? I usually just have the city
govenor do it all, but well, just was interested for when I tell my workers
what to do...

When I last posted, some people mentioned that irrigating doesn't really
have an effect until you either get Republic or Monarchy...why is this, as I
couldn't see why this was the case...probably me missing something obvious,
but just wanted to be sure

Automating workers...well at first I had them all manually done, as was
recommended last time, but when it came to the point where railways needed
to be implemented, and pollution started, I just whacked them all on
automated...was this wise?

Any point in Feudalism, Communism and Fascism do you think? Demoncracy
seems to work perfectly okay...

When you take over a city, it usually takes it years to be able to build
anything...is there any way to get them to improve? Usually I assume that
building something to increase the cities cultural influence will be a good
move, then enabling it to get more benefits from more squares, but it still
takes ages to build this improvement...is there a better way of going about
things?

If you got to war with someone during any kind of agreement, such as a trade
agreement, will that count as breaking an agreement and make the other civs
hate you?

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now! But any help
would be hugely appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Oh, and I've still not tried DyP yet! But hopefully one day! I think I'll
try to complete Civ on Monarchy, and when I do that, then DyP I do!

Contro.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:51:45 -0000, "Contro"
<moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
wrote:

>Hi guys!
>
>I don't know if you remember me, but I was here a while back asking a lot of
>questions, and getting a lot of useful help!
>
>Well, I finally managed to get around to playing a good game of Civ, and
>have won on Regent difficulty! I won by miles in the end too, it has to be
>said! It was the best and most convincing game I've ever had! I think the
>main problem I had originally was just trying to build my starting cities
>too far away from each other, whereas if I had built them nearer, things
>would have all gone great.
>
>But I do still have a few questions though :)
>
>How many shields, commerce, food, should each city be provided with usually?
>Is there some sort of guide or way of knowing? I usually just have the city
>govenor do it all, but well, just was interested for when I tell my workers
>what to do...

Before factories, you can expect to hit about one shield for each
worker. More is possible in the right terrain. Higher food
production - more irrigation rather than mining -- can cut into
shields, but give you much more food, which makes that sort of city
good for making settlers and workers.

>When I last posted, some people mentioned that irrigating doesn't really
>have an effect until you either get Republic or Monarchy...why is this, as I
>couldn't see why this was the case...probably me missing something obvious,
>but just wanted to be sure

When the food production prior to irrigating is two -- grasslands
for example -- irrigation will not give any increase while in
despotism. Despotism has a penalty of -1 from all production of
tthree or more, and irrigation adds one food, which means that 2+1 =
3, the penalty kicks in and drops it back to 2.

The other thing is that unless you're forced to settle in areas
without grasslands, you don't need irrigation because the food
production is high enough anyway.

Exceptions -- flood plains produce enough food so that irrigation is
good, and any square which produces 3 or more base is worth irrigating
early.

>Automating workers...well at first I had them all manually done, as was
>recommended last time, but when it came to the point where railways needed
>to be implemented, and pollution started, I just whacked them all on
>automated...was this wise?

The AI can't use workers as efficiently as a human, so going on
automation means you need more of them. OTOH, if you've done well you
can produce enough to do everything you need, so it all comes down to
just how efficient you need to be. I don't think that going on
automation will cripple you -- but it can be harder to win on higher
levels without every edge you can get.

I don't like full automation, though, and usually set them to leave
existing improvements unchanged. I tend to have some cities focused
on shields, other on food, and don't want my mines/irrigation swapped.

>Any point in Feudalism, Communism and Fascism do you think? Demoncracy
>seems to work perfectly okay...

Each of the others has advantages in war, and for larger empires.
If you aren't fighting wars, and don't need to control the entire
world, Democracy is best.

If you are at war, Republic can be a good choice. Conquests cuts
into this advantage, making one of the above more competitive.

>When you take over a city, it usually takes it years to be able to build
>anything...is there any way to get them to improve? Usually I assume that
>building something to increase the cities cultural influence will be a good
>move, then enabling it to get more benefits from more squares, but it still
>takes ages to build this improvement...is there a better way of going about
>things?

Rush build things with money, if you can. If the reason you can't
build is high corruption, there isn't a lot you can do about that,
short of making the Forbidden Palace nearby.

I tend to rush the temple, then library if I need culture or
something else if it is more pressing (barracks if the city is a war
center, walls if extra defense needed, harbor if trade net is needed,
cathedral or colloseum if I need more happiness, etc.)

>If you got to war with someone during any kind of agreement, such as a trade
>agreement, will that count as breaking an agreement and make the other civs
>hate you?

Yes. I don't know if it is a horrible penalty, but you *don't* want
to break Right of Passage by going to war (especially with units in
their territory).

keith

Whats DyP, an update from a website?.

Keith
"Contro" <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom> wrote in message
> Hi guys!
>
> I don't know if you remember me, but I was here a while back asking a lot of questions, and getting a lot of useful help!
>
> Well, I finally managed to get around to playing a good game of Civ, and have won on Regent difficulty! I won by miles in the end
> too, it has to be said! It was the best and most convincing game I've ever had! I think the main problem I had originally was
> just trying to build my starting cities too far away from each other, whereas if I had built them nearer, things would have all
> gone great.
>
> But I do still have a few questions though :)
>
> How many shields, commerce, food, should each city be provided with usually? Is there some sort of guide or way of knowing? I
> usually just have the city govenor do it all, but well, just was interested for when I tell my workers what to do...
>
> When I last posted, some people mentioned that irrigating doesn't really have an effect until you either get Republic or
> Monarchy...why is this, as I couldn't see why this was the case...probably me missing something obvious, but just wanted to be
> sure
>
> Automating workers...well at first I had them all manually done, as was recommended last time, but when it came to the point where
> railways needed to be implemented, and pollution started, I just whacked them all on automated...was this wise?
>
> Any point in Feudalism, Communism and Fascism do you think? Demoncracy seems to work perfectly okay...
>
> When you take over a city, it usually takes it years to be able to build anything...is there any way to get them to improve?
> Usually I assume that building something to increase the cities cultural influence will be a good move, then enabling it to get
> more benefits from more squares, but it still takes ages to build this improvement...is there a better way of going about things?
>
> If you got to war with someone during any kind of agreement, such as a trade agreement, will that count as breaking an agreement
> and make the other civs hate you?
>
> I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now! But any help would be hugely appreciated, and thank you in advance!
>
> Oh, and I've still not tried DyP yet! But hopefully one day! I think I'll try to complete Civ on Monarchy, and when I do that,
> then DyP I do!
>
> Contro.

contro

Jeffery S. Jones wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:51:45 -0000, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys!
>>
>> I don't know if you remember me, but I was here a while back asking
>> a lot of questions, and getting a lot of useful help!
>>
>> Well, I finally managed to get around to playing a good game of Civ,
>> and have won on Regent difficulty! I won by miles in the end too,
>> it has to be said! It was the best and most convincing game I've
>> ever had! I think the main problem I had originally was just trying
>> to build my starting cities too far away from each other, whereas if
>> I had built them nearer, things would have all gone great.
>>
>> But I do still have a few questions though :)
>>
>> How many shields, commerce, food, should each city be provided with
>> usually? Is there some sort of guide or way of knowing? I usually
>> just have the city govenor do it all, but well, just was interested
>> for when I tell my workers what to do...
>
> Before factories, you can expect to hit about one shield for each
> worker. More is possible in the right terrain. Higher food
> production - more irrigation rather than mining -- can cut into
> shields, but give you much more food, which makes that sort of city
> good for making settlers and workers.

ahh, yes, I see. I guess as long as you have enough food to get your city
growing, you can do as much mining as you like then?

>> When I last posted, some people mentioned that irrigating doesn't
>> really have an effect until you either get Republic or
>> Monarchy...why is this, as I couldn't see why this was the
>> case...probably me missing something obvious, but just wanted to be
>> sure
>
> When the food production prior to irrigating is two -- grasslands
> for example -- irrigation will not give any increase while in
> despotism. Despotism has a penalty of -1 from all production of
> tthree or more, and irrigation adds one food, which means that 2+1 =
> 3, the penalty kicks in and drops it back to 2.

ahhh, yes, now I remember! Thanks you!

> The other thing is that unless you're forced to settle in areas
> without grasslands, you don't need irrigation because the food
> production is high enough anyway.

oh right! But is this always the case, or just at the start of the game?

> Exceptions -- flood plains produce enough food so that irrigation is
> good, and any square which produces 3 or more base is worth irrigating
> early.

Are flood plains good then? I always got the impression they were
bad....Also what is the deal with forests...are they worth chopping down? i
see that they seem to give 1 gold, but 1 less food, but if you chop them
down you get the shields. I guess it just depends on how much gold you are
getting for that city doesn't it? Food vs shields again.

>> Automating workers...well at first I had them all manually done, as
>> was recommended last time, but when it came to the point where
>> railways needed to be implemented, and pollution started, I just
>> whacked them all on automated...was this wise?
>
> The AI can't use workers as efficiently as a human, so going on
> automation means you need more of them. OTOH, if you've done well you
> can produce enough to do everything you need, so it all comes down to
> just how efficient you need to be. I don't think that going on
> automation will cripple you -- but it can be harder to win on higher
> levels without every edge you can get.

Yes, I can imagine! What level do you play on? I'm not sure I will ever
play on higher than Monarch!!! well, we'll see if I can win on that level
first

> I don't like full automation, though, and usually set them to leave
> existing improvements unchanged. I tend to have some cities focused
> on shields, other on food, and don't want my mines/irrigation swapped.

You can set the level of automation can you?! Where is that?

>> Any point in Feudalism, Communism and Fascism do you think?
>> Demoncracy seems to work perfectly okay...
>
> Each of the others has advantages in war, and for larger empires.
> If you aren't fighting wars, and don't need to control the entire
> world, Democracy is best.
>
> If you are at war, Republic can be a good choice. Conquests cuts
> into this advantage, making one of the above more competitive.

Is it worth going into anarchy and all that just for the war? By the time
you've changed and everything, it might well be all over!

>> When you take over a city, it usually takes it years to be able to
>> build anything...is there any way to get them to improve? Usually I
>> assume that building something to increase the cities cultural
>> influence will be a good move, then enabling it to get more benefits
>> from more squares, but it still takes ages to build this
>> improvement...is there a better way of going about things?
>
> Rush build things with money, if you can. If the reason you can't
> build is high corruption, there isn't a lot you can do about that,
> short of making the Forbidden Palace nearby.

oh yes, rush building! I didn't think of that! Thanks! But yes,
corruption can be a pain. But I think it's usually just because the city
only has a 9 square culture radius. That's the impression I get anyway!

> I tend to rush the temple, then library if I need culture or
> something else if it is more pressing (barracks if the city is a war
> center, walls if extra defense needed, harbor if trade net is needed,
> cathedral or colloseum if I need more happiness, etc.)

The problem I usually find is that if I can afford to rush build something,
I usually don't need to do so, as I'm strong enough, but if I do need to
rush something, I can't afford it as I'm not strong enough! You can't win!

>> If you got to war with someone during any kind of agreement, such as
>> a trade agreement, will that count as breaking an agreement and make
>> the other civs hate you?
>
> Yes. I don't know if it is a horrible penalty, but you *don't* want
> to break Right of Passage by going to war (especially with units in
> their territory).

Oh yes, That's one I try to avoid. even going to war while I'm in another's
territory I avoid. But I think last game I was in the middle of a trade
agreement (ivory for fur, that sort of one) and I went to war, and I think
it made all the other civs hate me from then on! Although I think because I
was the superpower made them a little annoyed too, but I could live with
that!

Thank you for all your help!

contro

Keith wrote:
> Whats DyP, an update from a website?.

It's Double Your Pleasure. It's a mod made by fans, but a very detailed and
very good one by all accounts! There are lots and lots more to do, more
units, techs, government types, and civs (I think) but not silly things,
improvements that make sense and add to the game from what I've seen and
heard.

Another one is The Missing Links, but I don't know if that's any good, as no
one seems to mention that...

> Keith
> "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote in message news:cn7gsj$if7$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Hi guys!
>>
>> I don't know if you remember me, but I was here a while back asking
>> a lot of questions, and getting a lot of useful help! Well, I finally
>> managed to get around to playing a good game of Civ,
>> and have won on Regent difficulty! I won by miles in the end too,
>> it has to be said! It was the best and most convincing game I've
>> ever had! I think the main problem I had originally was just trying
>> to build my starting cities too far away from each other, whereas if
>> I had built them nearer, things would have all gone great. But I do
>> still have a few questions though :)
>>
>> How many shields, commerce, food, should each city be provided with
>> usually? Is there some sort of guide or way of knowing? I usually
>> just have the city govenor do it all, but well, just was interested
>> for when I tell my workers what to do... When I last posted, some people
>> mentioned that irrigating doesn't
>> really have an effect until you either get Republic or
>> Monarchy...why is this, as I couldn't see why this was the
>> case...probably me missing something obvious, but just wanted to be
>> sure Automating workers...well at first I had them all manually done, as
>> was recommended last time, but when it came to the point where
>> railways needed to be implemented, and pollution started, I just
>> whacked them all on automated...was this wise? Any point in Feudalism,
>> Communism and Fascism do you think? Demoncracy seems to work perfectly
>> okay... When you take over a city, it usually takes it years to be able
>> build anything...is there any way to get them to improve? Usually I
>> assume that building something to increase the cities cultural
>> influence will be a good move, then enabling it to get more benefits
>> from more squares, but it still takes ages to build this
>> improvement...is there a better way of going about things? If you got
>> to war with someone during any kind of agreement, such as
>> a trade agreement, will that count as breaking an agreement and make
>> the other civs hate you? I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of
>> them right now! But
>> any help would be hugely appreciated, and thank you in advance! Oh, and
>> I've still not tried DyP yet! But hopefully one day! I
>> think I'll try to complete Civ on Monarchy, and when I do that, then
>> DyP I do! Contro.

> Rush build things with money, if you can. If the reason you can't
> build is high corruption, there isn't a lot you can do about that,
> short of making the Forbidden Palace nearby.

Couthouse reduce corruption, so I usually rush buy one in captured cities.
(after temple)
Also communism has equal corruption everywhere, so it better for distant
cities.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:53:27 -0000, "Contro"
wrote:

>Jeffery S. Jones wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:51:45 -0000, "Contro"
>> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys!
>>>
>>> I don't know if you remember me, but I was here a while back asking
>>> a lot of questions, and getting a lot of useful help!
>>>
>>> Well, I finally managed to get around to playing a good game of Civ,
>>> and have won on Regent difficulty! I won by miles in the end too,
>>> it has to be said! It was the best and most convincing game I've
>>> ever had! I think the main problem I had originally was just trying
>>> to build my starting cities too far away from each other, whereas if
>>> I had built them nearer, things would have all gone great.
>>>
>>> But I do still have a few questions though :)
>>>
>>> How many shields, commerce, food, should each city be provided with
>>> usually? Is there some sort of guide or way of knowing? I usually
>>> just have the city govenor do it all, but well, just was interested
>>> for when I tell my workers what to do...
>>
>> Before factories, you can expect to hit about one shield for each
>> worker. More is possible in the right terrain. Higher food
>> production - more irrigation rather than mining -- can cut into
>> shields, but give you much more food, which makes that sort of city
>> good for making settlers and workers.
>
>ahh, yes, I see. I guess as long as you have enough food to get your city
>growing, you can do as much mining as you like then?

Pretty much. It is a matter of which you want more, growth or
production. Note that many cities are not going to grow past size 6,
even though they have food enough to be much larger. It is better to
mine around them, unless you can get aqueducts and make them grow that
way. Even so, you can be better off doing mining first, then later on
irrigating the mines for more food (and population).

>>> When I last posted, some people mentioned that irrigating doesn't
>>> really have an effect until you either get Republic or
>>> Monarchy...why is this, as I couldn't see why this was the
>>> case...probably me missing something obvious, but just wanted to be
>>> sure
>>
>> When the food production prior to irrigating is two -- grasslands
>> for example -- irrigation will not give any increase while in
>> despotism. Despotism has a penalty of -1 from all production of
>> tthree or more, and irrigation adds one food, which means that 2+1 =
>> 3, the penalty kicks in and drops it back to 2.
>
>ahhh, yes, now I remember! Thanks you!
>

>> The other thing is that unless you're forced to settle in areas
>> without grasslands, you don't need irrigation because the food
>> production is high enough anyway.
>>

>oh right! But is this always the case, or just at the start of the game?

Just in the early stages, before you switch to Monarchy or Republic.
Once you're into the Middle Ages, or especially Industrial, you'll
need the extra food in order to be competitive.

>> Exceptions -- flood plains produce enough food so that irrigation is
>> good, and any square which produces 3 or more base is worth irrigating
>> early.
>
>Are flood plains good then? I always got the impression they were
>bad....Also what is the deal with forests...are they worth chopping down? i
>see that they seem to give 1 gold, but 1 less food, but if you chop them
>down you get the shields. I guess it just depends on how much gold you are
>getting for that city doesn't it? Food vs shields again.

Flood plains offer good food production, which is good in that
cities based there can turn out workers and settlers easily. The
disease there is a problem, but I find it a worthwhile tradeoff. Of
course, usually if I have floodplains close to home, I have little
choice about whether or not to build cities there -- I need the room.

Forests aren't worth chopping down until the 10 shields you get is
worth the effort. You'll need to replace the forest with a mine (to
get more shields) or irrigation (if you need food), so you have to
factor in that extra worker action (plus a road if you haven't built
one yet).

I look for a time when I'm building something which needs to come a
lot faster, and which can be accelerated (wonders cannot be, shields
from forests are wasted if you're building a wonder).

>>> Automating workers...well at first I had them all manually done, as
>>> was recommended last time, but when it came to the point where
>>> railways needed to be implemented, and pollution started, I just
>>> whacked them all on automated...was this wise?
>>
>> The AI can't use workers as efficiently as a human, so going on
>> automation means you need more of them. OTOH, if you've done well you
>> can produce enough to do everything you need, so it all comes down to
>> just how efficient you need to be. I don't think that going on
>> automation will cripple you -- but it can be harder to win on higher
>> levels without every edge you can get.
>>

>Yes, I can imagine! What level do you play on? I'm not sure I will ever
>play on higher than Monarch!!! well, we'll see if I can win on that level
>first

Monarch usually. Regent feels better in the early game, because the
AI is playing using roughly the same productivity, but once I get
going I can blow them away -- usually, I'm well ahead by the
Industrial era, and often before. Emperor, OTOH, requires me to play
a very different way, and even with that, the AI's advantages
including AI to AI cooperation make it feel unfair. I'd rather do
Monarch with other disadvantages (starting position and map).

This is unlike Civ2 where I eventually found Deity to be easy,
though even there the playing methodology did change with the levels.
But not so much as in Civ3 -- the biggest difference is the power of
research. The AI is so much better at higher levels that you can't
hope to beat them to it. The logical solution is to cancel research
(or minimize it), and get gold to buy tech.

>> I don't like full automation, though, and usually set them to leave
>> existing improvements unchanged. I tend to have some cities focused
>> on shields, other on food, and don't want my mines/irrigation swapped.
>
>You can set the level of automation can you?! Where is that?

In the advanced commands (C3C has that as an option in preferences
to display on the menu, can't remember if the others do). You use the
keyboard shortcuts to access them. There are a lot of orders which
are issued this way, I tend to use the keyboard methods mostly.

>>> Any point in Feudalism, Communism and Fascism do you think?
>>> Demoncracy seems to work perfectly okay...
>>
>> Each of the others has advantages in war, and for larger empires.
>> If you aren't fighting wars, and don't need to control the entire
>> world, Democracy is best.
>>
>> If you are at war, Republic can be a good choice. Conquests cuts
>> into this advantage, making one of the above more competitive.
>
>Is it worth going into anarchy and all that just for the war? By the time
>you've changed and everything, it might well be all over!

Two ways make it worthwhile. First, you know you're going to be at
war a while - 20+ turns. If you're Religious, this decision is a lot
easier, because the period of Anarchy is shorter.

>>> When you take over a city, it usually takes it years to be able to
>>> build anything...is there any way to get them to improve? Usually I
>>> assume that building something to increase the cities cultural
>>> influence will be a good move, then enabling it to get more benefits
>>> from more squares, but it still takes ages to build this
>>> improvement...is there a better way of going about things?
>>
>> Rush build things with money, if you can. If the reason you can't
>> build is high corruption, there isn't a lot you can do about that,
>> short of making the Forbidden Palace nearby.
>
>oh yes, rush building! I didn't think of that! Thanks! But yes,
>corruption can be a pain. But I think it's usually just because the city
>only has a 9 square culture radius. That's the impression I get anyway!

Corruption shows up as the percentage of shields/trade which is
lost. If you have a lot of shields but only one or two are available,
that is the sign of extreme corruption.

You can build a courthouse and police station in order to reduce
that, but neither is certain to give you much production. Note that
corruption can exceed 100% in calculated value (there is a maximum
effect, though, and in Conquests these two buildings affect that), so
even if you knock it down some, it still can remain maxed.

I always try to rush a temple, in order to get the cultural radius
up.

>> I tend to rush the temple, then library if I need culture or
>> something else if it is more pressing (barracks if the city is a war
>> center, walls if extra defense needed, harbor if trade net is needed,
>> cathedral or colloseum if I need more happiness, etc.)
>
>The problem I usually find is that if I can afford to rush build something,
>I usually don't need to do so, as I'm strong enough, but if I do need to
>rush something, I can't afford it as I'm not strong enough! You can't win!

You need to get more money.

If nothing else, drop your science in order to fund war spending
like this. But you're better off trying to trade something for gold
from the AI.

If you are still at Despotism or in Communism, you can rush using
citizens. This can be good, despite the unhappiness hit, because it
reduces the enemy population in the city, making it easier to control.
OTOH, you no longer can use excess gold to rush, and I find that a
bigger downside as I dislike causing unhappiness at home in order to
rush builds.

>>> If you got to war with someone during any kind of agreement, such as
>>> a trade agreement, will that count as breaking an agreement and make
>>> the other civs hate you?
>>
>> Yes. I don't know if it is a horrible penalty, but you *don't* want
>> to break Right of Passage by going to war (especially with units in
>> their territory).
>
>Oh yes, That's one I try to avoid. even going to war while I'm in another's
>territory I avoid. But I think last game I was in the middle of a trade
>agreement (ivory for fur, that sort of one) and I went to war, and I think
>it made all the other civs hate me from then on! Although I think because I
>was the superpower made them a little annoyed too, but I could live with
>that!

It does break the trade, and the AI sets a marker to remember that
you break trade deals. They dislike you, but it isn't as bad as
breaking other treaties.

Hey dude i got a couple of answers for you,

"Contro"
<moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
wrote in message news:cn7gsj$if7$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

> How many shields, commerce, food, should each city be provided with
usually?
> Is there some sort of guide or way of knowing? I usually just have the
city
> govenor do it all, but well, just was interested for when I tell my
workers
> what to do...
Well thats just totaly your decision. Only when your city stays on wealth
you should have as less shield as possible and as mutch food to stimmulate
growth. I always have a couple of city's around my (forbidden)palace that
have massive production later build a factory and a hoover dam there to
boost that by +-75%. when my city's reach 20,30 most of them will produce 20
to 30 shields (around my capitalls) offcourse there is a lot wasted due
corruption farther away in my country.

> When I last posted, some people mentioned that irrigating doesn't really
> have an effect until you either get Republic or Monarchy...why is this, as
> couldn't see why this was the case...probably me missing something
obvious,
> but just wanted to be sure

Well why...... probably caus sid had ordered a programmer to do that :D
I think a despotisme isn't developed enough to make use of irigated land.
try find it in civilopedia or probably around the internet for despotisme.
BUT don't get me wrong... when you step over to monarchy or republic you
should have some squares at each decent city irigated.

> Automating workers...well at first I had them all manually done, as was
> recommended last time, but when it came to the point where railways needed
> to be implemented, and pollution started, I just whacked them all on
> automated...was this wise?

Well i used to play with manually.... but i have often like 30 workers...
and to set all those workers each turn is frustrating so i use automate. But
for roads and railroads that need to be made i just do some manual to speed
up the progress (else they make a maze of railroad and i want my first rail
be straight from back in country to the front.)

> Any point in Feudalism, Communism and Fascism do you think? Demoncracy
> seems to work perfectly okay...

Democrazy is the best if your not at war, if you have that universal
suffrage wonder you can also decently attack for a long time but after that
they still begin to whine about stop the war.
with communism you can make lotsa wars and keep taking enemy city's without
problems.

I don't have mutch experience with the other 2 but i beleve fascism can come
in handy at war also. you have lotsa pretty strong cheap units. and i
thought it's very hard to take over 1 of your city's. But again i don't have
mutch experience with this goverment.

> When you take over a city, it usually takes it years to be able to build
> anything...is there any way to get them to improve? Usually I assume that
> building something to increase the cities cultural influence will be a
good
> move, then enabling it to get more benefits from more squares, but it
still
> takes ages to build this improvement...is there a better way of going
about
> things?

I think you seeing things a bit wrong here. If you take over a city it has
some agressors and some extra people that are unhappy becaus of war and
agression against mother country. so yes a bit less shields. also when
attack size of city goes down. also it's farther away from your cappitall so
more is lost to corruption. So in this case, yes you right it takes longer
to build stuff. But then again it's also the feeling, it takes same amount
of turns with 1 shield production to build a temple in a conquered city then
when you build your first. only turns take way longer.

> If you got to war with someone during any kind of agreement, such as a
trade
> agreement, will that count as breaking an agreement and make the other
civs
> hate you?

Well if you sneak attack yes other civils will be more offensive against you
(i think you can never win with diplomatic victory after that) But if you
just say they scum and say you wanna go to war then it's ok i think...
(maybe also a little anger but i don't think so)

> I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now! But any
help
> would be hugely appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Just practise i was playing my first civ game about 12 years ago....... and
i still find the 2 hardest settings unbeatable with fair playing and a fair
amount of races.

> Oh, and I've still not tried DyP yet! But hopefully one day! I think
I'll
> try to complete Civ on Monarchy, and when I do that, then DyP I do!

LOL... DyP???????

> Contro.

Greets and good luck with your conquests.

contro

Jeffery S. Jones wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:53:27 -0000, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:
>
>> Jeffery S. Jones wrote:
>>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:51:45 -0000, "Contro"
>>> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>

>>> Before factories, you can expect to hit about one shield for each
>>> worker. More is possible in the right terrain. Higher food
>>> production - more irrigation rather than mining -- can cut into
>>> shields, but give you much more food, which makes that sort of city
>>> good for making settlers and workers.
>>
>> ahh, yes, I see. I guess as long as you have enough food to get
>> your city growing, you can do as much mining as you like then?
>
> Pretty much. It is a matter of which you want more, growth or
> production. Note that many cities are not going to grow past size 6,
> even though they have food enough to be much larger. It is better to
> mine around them, unless you can get aqueducts and make them grow that
> way. Even so, you can be better off doing mining first, then later on
> irrigating the mines for more food (and population).

ahh, I see. I guess need for growth increases, whilst shields is always
there, so best to concentrate more on that first.

>>> When the food production prior to irrigating is two -- grasslands
>>> for example -- irrigation will not give any increase while in
>>> despotism. Despotism has a penalty of -1 from all production of
>>> tthree or more, and irrigation adds one food, which means that 2+1 =
>>> 3, the penalty kicks in and drops it back to 2.
>>
>> ahhh, yes, now I remember! Thanks you!
>>

>>> The other thing is that unless you're forced to settle in areas
>>> without grasslands, you don't need irrigation because the food
>>> production is high enough anyway.
>>>

>> oh right! But is this always the case, or just at the start of the
>> game?
>
> Just in the early stages, before you switch to Monarchy or Republic.
> Once you're into the Middle Ages, or especially Industrial, you'll
> need the extra food in order to be competitive.

okay, great! I'll continue to not bother with irrigation until nearing or
reaching Republic/Monarchy then! Thanks for that, I understand it all now.

>>> Exceptions -- flood plains produce enough food so that irrigation
>>> is good, and any square which produces 3 or more base is worth
>>> irrigating early.
>>
>> Are flood plains good then? I always got the impression they were
>> bad....Also what is the deal with forests...are they worth chopping
>> down? i see that they seem to give 1 gold, but 1 less food, but if
>> you chop them down you get the shields. I guess it just depends on
>> how much gold you are getting for that city doesn't it? Food vs
>> shields again.
>
> Flood plains offer good food production, which is good in that
> cities based there can turn out workers and settlers easily. The
> disease there is a problem, but I find it a worthwhile tradeoff. Of
> course, usually if I have floodplains close to home, I have little
> choice about whether or not to build cities there -- I need the room.

so they have good and bad points. Well, like you say, i guess it's just one
of those things that if it's there, you just have to put up with. Can you
get rid of flood plains though, and if so, is it worth it?

> Forests aren't worth chopping down until the 10 shields you get is
> worth the effort. You'll need to replace the forest with a mine (to
> get more shields) or irrigation (if you need food), so you have to
> factor in that extra worker action (plus a road if you haven't built
> one yet).
>
> I look for a time when I'm building something which needs to come a
> lot faster, and which can be accelerated (wonders cannot be, shields
> from forests are wasted if you're building a wonder).

I didn't know that about them not helping wonders! But yes, I see what you
are saying. I'll leave them alone then until I need the shields for
something quick. It's not worth it for the worker effort by the looks of
it.

>>> The AI can't use workers as efficiently as a human, so going on
>>> automation means you need more of them. OTOH, if you've done well
>>> you can produce enough to do everything you need, so it all comes
>>> down to just how efficient you need to be. I don't think that
>>> going on automation will cripple you -- but it can be harder to win
>>> on higher levels without every edge you can get.
>>>

>> Yes, I can imagine! What level do you play on? I'm not sure I will
>> ever play on higher than Monarch!!! well, we'll see if I can win on
>> that level first
>
> Monarch usually. Regent feels better in the early game, because the
> AI is playing using roughly the same productivity, but once I get
> going I can blow them away -- usually, I'm well ahead by the
> Industrial era, and often before.

Yes, I found this to be the case also! I won a space race victory before
the 1900's, which is very good for me!

Emperor, OTOH, requires me to play
> a very different way, and even with that, the AI's advantages
> including AI to AI cooperation make it feel unfair. I'd rather do
> Monarch with other disadvantages (starting position and map).

Yes, I heard previously in this group that Monarch was the level to play at
where it remained fun and didn't resort of having to do certain things a
certain way in order to win.

> This is unlike Civ2 where I eventually found Deity to be easy,
> though even there the playing methodology did change with the levels.
> But not so much as in Civ3 -- the biggest difference is the power of
> research. The AI is so much better at higher levels that you can't
> hope to beat them to it. The logical solution is to cancel research
> (or minimize it), and get gold to buy tech.

ahh, i see. I'll bear that in mind! Mind you, is this a bit of the case on
Monarch, or can you still hope to get your techs first?

>>> I don't like full automation, though, and usually set them to leave
>>> existing improvements unchanged. I tend to have some cities focused
>>> on shields, other on food, and don't want my mines/irrigation
>>> swapped.
>>
>> You can set the level of automation can you?! Where is that?
>
> In the advanced commands (C3C has that as an option in preferences
> to display on the menu, can't remember if the others do). You use the
> keyboard shortcuts to access them. There are a lot of orders which
> are issued this way, I tend to use the keyboard methods mostly.

Thanks, I'll look into this!

>>> Each of the others has advantages in war, and for larger empires.
>>> If you aren't fighting wars, and don't need to control the entire
>>> world, Democracy is best.
>>>
>>> If you are at war, Republic can be a good choice. Conquests cuts
>>> into this advantage, making one of the above more competitive.
>>
>> Is it worth going into anarchy and all that just for the war? By
>> the time you've changed and everything, it might well be all over!
>
> Two ways make it worthwhile. First, you know you're going to be at
> war a while - 20+ turns. If you're Religious, this decision is a lot
> easier, because the period of Anarchy is shorter.

I didn't know that about religious civs, I have to admit. I don't usually
pick a civ for specific things, other than Rome because it's Red LOL But
they do have the legionary, which comes in handy.

>>> Rush build things with money, if you can. If the reason you can't
>>> build is high corruption, there isn't a lot you can do about that,
>>> short of making the Forbidden Palace nearby.
>>
>> oh yes, rush building! I didn't think of that! Thanks! But yes,
>> corruption can be a pain. But I think it's usually just because the
>> city only has a 9 square culture radius. That's the impression I
>> get anyway!
>
> Corruption shows up as the percentage of shields/trade which is
> lost. If you have a lot of shields but only one or two are available,
> that is the sign of extreme corruption.

I'd probably know if I saw the game screen, but how do you know how many
shields are available compared to the ones you are producing? I know what
shows how much corruption you are receiving, and have always gone off that
to measure it, not anything to do with shields.

> You can build a courthouse and police station in order to reduce
> that, but neither is certain to give you much production. Note that
> corruption can exceed 100% in calculated value (there is a maximum
> effect, though, and in Conquests these two buildings affect that), so
> even if you knock it down some, it still can remain maxed.

How is it corruption can get so high? Is it purely because of the distance
from the capital, or are there other factors (as well as not having
buildings such as courthouses)?

> I always try to rush a temple, in order to get the cultural radius
> up.

I never knew a temple usually increased cultural radius, I always thought
the library was the first to do that! This will help out a lot! Is it
certain buildings that increase cultural radius, or is it there cultural
value seen in the civapedia?

>>> I tend to rush the temple, then library if I need culture or
>>> something else if it is more pressing (barracks if the city is a war
>>> center, walls if extra defense needed, harbor if trade net is
>>> needed, cathedral or colloseum if I need more happiness, etc.)
>>
>> The problem I usually find is that if I can afford to rush build
>> something, I usually don't need to do so, as I'm strong enough, but
>> if I do need to rush something, I can't afford it as I'm not strong
>> enough! You can't win!
>
> You need to get more money.
>
> If nothing else, drop your science in order to fund war spending
> like this. But you're better off trying to trade something for gold
> from the AI.

Yes, I could do with more...hmm, well I think it's also a thing of not
generating enough in the first place...spending too much on something or
other I think! Problem is that if I trade gold for techs, rather than techs
for techs, won't it put me behind technologically?

> If you are still at Despotism or in Communism, you can rush using
> citizens. This can be good, despite the unhappiness hit, because it
> reduces the enemy population in the city, making it easier to control.
> OTOH, you no longer can use excess gold to rush, and I find that a
> bigger downside as I dislike causing unhappiness at home in order to
> rush builds.

How long does the unhappiness last which is caused by forced labour rushes?
I think it would be handy earlier on, but as you say, later on causing
unhappiness could lead to problems. Although I'm not sure if that would
still be the same in Communism.

>>> Yes. I don't know if it is a horrible penalty, but you *don't*
>>> want to break Right of Passage by going to war (especially with
>>> units in their territory).
>>
>> Oh yes, That's one I try to avoid. even going to war while I'm in
>> another's territory I avoid. But I think last game I was in the
>> middle of a trade agreement (ivory for fur, that sort of one) and I
>> went to war, and I think it made all the other civs hate me from
>> then on! Although I think because I was the superpower made them a
>> little annoyed too, but I could live with that!
>
> It does break the trade, and the AI sets a marker to remember that
> you break trade deals. They dislike you, but it isn't as bad as
> breaking other treaties.

Yes, I thought as much. But it was odd, as the other civs hated me very
very much, and that is the only thing I did bad. Do they hate you more if
you are the superpower?

Oh, that reminds me, another question I have is that does your reason for
going to war matter? Do you have to demand something first to justify going
to war, or is it okay to just go to war, in the eyes of the other civs?

Thanks again for your help!

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

wrote in message <cn8k4p$hi8$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> Jeffery S. Jones wrote:

> > The other thing is that unless you're forced to settle in areas without
> > grasslands, you don't need irrigation because the food production is
> > high enough anyway.
> >

> oh right! But is this always the case, or just at the start of the game?

It's the case for small cities. As they get larger, then you start working
more marginal squares, so you will need to irrigate more.

Of course, early in the game, city size is capped at 6 or twelve, so this
will be less of an issue. Also bear in mind that, once you have changed
government, it's better to work an irrigated grassland plus a mined hill,
than it is to work two mined grasslands.

> Are flood plains good then? I always got the impression they were bad...

They're bad to have in your radius, because they cause disease and don't
produce any shields. They also tend to be found near desert. But if you've
got them, you might as well use them. Irrigated, they produce four food,
reduced to three by despotism.

> ...Also what is the deal with forests...are they worth chopping down? i
> see that they seem to give 1 gold, but 1 less food,...

Two shields, one food, commerce (gold) only when roaded (same as with most
other terrains).

> ...but if you chop them down you get the shields...

Ten to the nearest city.

> ...I guess it just depends on how much gold you are getting for that city
> doesn't it? Food vs shields again.

Are you using "gold" as a synonym for shields? Please don't; it only causes
confusion.

You are right that it's food vs. shields again. It also depends upon the
underlying terrain. Tundra is better forested, because it only produces one
food anyway. Only with a railroad does mined tundra match forested tundra.

mined railroaded plains is better than forested. Without the railroad,
they're equal, and you have the advantage that they can be irrigated
instead.

Clearing forest over grassland may turn up a grassland-shield square, which
is always better than forest.

*Very* occasionally, when I have a population-capped city producing excess
food, I will afforest a bare (i.e no shield) grassland square. But I will
only do this if I don't have railroad, and I would still have excess food
even after mining everything in sight, and working all available hills and
mountains.

In summary, apart from tundra, and bare grassland, cleared terrain is always
as good or better than forested, even if prefer shields over food. Whether
it's worth clearing your forests depends upon what else you workers might be
doing, though.

[...]

> Yes, I can imagine! What level do you play on? I'm not sure I will ever
> play on higher than Monarch!!! well, we'll see if I can win on that level
> first

I played on deity in all versions up to Conquests. In C3C I play demigod,
which is about as hard as deity was in the earlier versions. Looking to
move up a level after the end of my current game.

[...]

> Is it worth going into anarchy and all that just for the war? By the time
> you've changed and everything, it might well be all over!

In conquests democratic war-weariness rapidly becomes crippling. Since I
only fight the wars I want to, I have a good idea how long both war and
peace will last. With a religious civ, anarchy only lasts a single turn.
It's worth the switch.

[...]

> oh yes, rush building! I didn't think of that! Thanks! But yes,
> corruption can be a pain. But I think it's usually just because the city
> only has a 9 square culture radius. That's the impression I get anyway!

As far as I'm aware, corruption is not affected by culture.

[...]

> The problem I usually find is that if I can afford to rush build
> something, I usually don't need to do so, as I'm strong enough, but if I
> do need to rush something, I can't afford it as I'm not strong enough!
> You can't win!

This could have a thread all to itself. What I do, as soon as the rapid
expansion phase of the game is over, is focus almost exclusively on building
up my economy. Provided you do nothing to piss them off, the other civs
won't usually attack a rich civ, preferring to extort a trivial amount
instead. So there is negligible risk in neglecting your military.

Once you have become an economic superpower (which you can be, with even a
fairly small civ), you will be able very rapidly to build up large forces
for military adventures, buy any needed alliances, and, equally rapidly,
bring newly captured cities up to maximal productivity. In my current game,
with taxes at 100%, I'm taking in over 2500 gold/turn. Many of my cities
produce 80 shields or more per turn and are still growing. And nothing can
stand up to my war machine.

--
Daran

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll

contro

Vladesch wrote:
>> Rush build things with money, if you can. If the reason you can't
>> build is high corruption, there isn't a lot you can do about that,
>> short of making the Forbidden Palace nearby.
>>

> Couthouse reduce corruption, so I usually rush buy one in captured
> cities. (after temple)

Yes, I always try to build courthouses when the corruption seems to be
pretty high.

> Also communism has equal corruption everywhere, so it better for
> distant cities.

ahh, I see! Thanks! I'm still not convinced by communism though...I
haven't had a look at it properly, but I remember thinking that it didn't
seem too attractive to me...

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:43:58 -0600 Jeffery S. Jones <jeffsj@execpc.com>
wrote in message <5nnep098gaercernb4751l91ifq85ga2ot@4ax.com>...

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:51:45 -0000, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:

> Before factories, you can expect to hit about one shield for each
> worker...

You mean for each point of population.

[...]

> I tend to rush the temple, then library if I need culture...

I go the other way - library then temple. The reason to do it this way
round, is that your borders expand in three turns instead of four (culture
generated in three turns is 3 + 3 + 5 = 11 instead of 2 + 2 + 5 = 9)

If you can disband something (or you're willing to pay the extra gold) then
you can build two improvement in two turns instead of three. Then I prefer
to go library then university, expanding my borders in two turns (3 + 7 = 10).

A newly captured city is much less likely to defect once its borders have
expanded, so moving them out even a single turn earlier could save the city.

--

Mad Menyo wrote:
> Hey dude i got a couple of answers for you,
>

> "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote in message news:cn7gsj$if7$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>> How many shields, commerce, food, should each city be provided with
>> usually? Is there some sort of guide or way of knowing? I usually
>> just have the city govenor do it all, but well, just was interested
>> for when I tell my workers what to do...
> Well thats just totaly your decision. Only when your city stays on
> wealth you should have as less shield as possible and as mutch food
> to stimmulate growth. I always have a couple of city's around my
> (forbidden)palace that have massive production later build a factory
> and a hoover dam there to boost that by +-75%. when my city's reach
> 20,30 most of them will produce 20 to 30 shields (around my
> capitalls) offcourse there is a lot wasted due corruption farther
> away in my country.

ahh, yes, so it's basically just on whether you want to get the population
up...so is it basically that your city improvments take care of your shields
generation once you get to a reasonably sized and advanced city? The way
you irrigate, mind or leave alone your city just matters at the start of the
game, to get you started?

>> When I last posted, some people mentioned that irrigating doesn't
>> really have an effect until you either get Republic or
>> Monarchy...why is this, as I couldn't see why this was the
>> case...probably me missing something obvious, but just wanted to be
>> sure
>
> Well why...... probably caus sid had ordered a programmer to do that
> :D

LOL that's a good enough reason!

> I think a despotisme isn't developed enough to make use of irigated
> land. try find it in civilopedia or probably around the internet for
> despotisme. BUT don't get me wrong... when you step over to monarchy
> or republic you should have some squares at each decent city irigated.

Yes, Jeffery mention this too, how under despotism your food bonus gets
knocked down by 1, but doesn't go less than 2, so irrigating doesn't help.

>> Automating workers...well at first I had them all manually done, as
>> was recommended last time, but when it came to the point where
>> railways needed to be implemented, and pollution started, I just
>> whacked them all on automated...was this wise?
>
> Well i used to play with manually.... but i have often like 30
> workers... and to set all those workers each turn is frustrating so i
> use automate. But for roads and railroads that need to be made i just
> do some manual to speed up the progress (else they make a maze of
> railroad and i want my first rail be straight from back in country to
> the front.)

Yes, I probably should try to plan it a bit more. Usually, when I get to
this point, I'm quite far ahead so it doesn't matter too much what my
workers get up to (note that this isn't always me being in front, but by now
I usually know if I'm going to end up going no where, so if I'm not in
front, I've usually started again). Usually things either go very well or
really bad for me LOL

>> Any point in Feudalism, Communism and Fascism do you think?
>> Demoncracy seems to work perfectly okay...
>
> Democrazy is the best if your not at war, if you have that universal
> suffrage wonder you can also decently attack for a long time but
> after that they still begin to whine about stop the war.
> with communism you can make lotsa wars and keep taking enemy city's
> without problems.

Usually I find that, even with democracy, if I have a strong enough country
with lots of luxuries and things, I can get away with war even if in a
democracy and one i have started. Which is why I was wondering if there
really is much point in the other government types....even if you don't have
the luxuries, I'm sure you can work it, either by increasing happiness or by
just tolerating some cities having disorder, so that things are not so bad.

> I don't have mutch experience with the other 2 but i beleve fascism
> can come in handy at war also. you have lotsa pretty strong cheap
> units. and i thought it's very hard to take over 1 of your city's.
> But again i don't have mutch experience with this goverment.
>
>> When you take over a city, it usually takes it years to be able to
>> build anything...is there any way to get them to improve? Usually I
>> assume that building something to increase the cities cultural
>> influence will be a good move, then enabling it to get more benefits
>> from more squares, but it still takes ages to build this
>> improvement...is there a better way of going about things?
>
> I think you seeing things a bit wrong here. If you take over a city
> it has some agressors and some extra people that are unhappy becaus
> of war and agression against mother country. so yes a bit less
> shields. also when attack size of city goes down. also it's farther
> away from your cappitall so more is lost to corruption. So in this
> case, yes you right it takes longer to build stuff. But then again
> it's also the feeling, it takes same amount of turns with 1 shield
> production to build a temple in a conquered city then when you build
> your first. only turns take way longer.

I see what you mean, but it was after the resisters have been quelled and
things had calmed down. To build a granary or what not, it takes about 60
turns or so! which I guess is the same amount of time it would have taken
at the start of the game, but it just seemed odd, as the population is quite
high, so it just seemed to always be a case of there not being enough
cultural influence, ie the area the city has to get shields, food and gold.
I just wondered if there was anything else that made the city take so long
to build things, but it seems the only way is to rush the cultural
improvements, such as library and temple, to get things back to normal.

>> If you got to war with someone during any kind of agreement, such as
>> a trade agreement, will that count as breaking an agreement and make
>> the other civs hate you?
>
> Well if you sneak attack yes other civils will be more offensive
> against you (i think you can never win with diplomatic victory after
> that) But if you just say they scum and say you wanna go to war then
> it's ok i think... (maybe also a little anger but i don't think so)

Yes, I think that is the only way to do it...but also Jeffery mentions how
if you have any kind of agreements, even trade, it can work against you. It
is a pain, but I guess it makes sense!

>> I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now! But
>> any help would be hugely appreciated, and thank you in advance!
>
> Just practise i was playing my first civ game about 12 years
> ago....... and i still find the 2 hardest settings unbeatable with
> fair playing and a fair amount of races.

Yes, it does take a lot! Well I know a lot more now than I did do, and even
more thanks to help from you guys once again! Thank you!

>> Oh, and I've still not tried DyP yet! But hopefully one day! I
>> think I'll try to complete Civ on Monarchy, and when I do that, then
>> DyP I do!
>
> LOL... DyP???????

LOL it's that mod: Double Your Pleasure...it's meant to be very very good!
they mention it on here sometimes...seems very tempting. You should look
into it, since you have mastered most difficulties civ has to offer (and the
last few are a bit too hard, from what I've heard, to be much fun).

>> Contro.
>>

> Greets and good luck with your conquests.

Thank you! And you!

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:00:51 -0600, Jeffery S. Jones
<jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote:

>>Are flood plains good then? I always got the impression they were
>>bad....Also what is the deal with forests...are they worth chopping down? i
>>see that they seem to give 1 gold, but 1 less food, but if you chop them
>>down you get the shields. I guess it just depends on how much gold you are
>>getting for that city doesn't it? Food vs shields again.
>
> Flood plains offer good food production, which is good in that
>cities based there can turn out workers and settlers easily. The
>disease there is a problem, but I find it a worthwhile tradeoff. Of
>course, usually if I have floodplains close to home, I have little
>choice about whether or not to build cities there -- I need the room.

If you build on flood plains try and keep each city to a couple of
squares. I just captured an AI city that had only one or two other
types of terrain.

contro

Daran wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:53:27 -0000 Contro
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote in message <cn8k4p$hi8$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>...
>
>> Jeffery S. Jones wrote:
>
>>> The other thing is that unless you're forced to settle in areas
>>> without grasslands, you don't need irrigation because the food
>>> production is high enough anyway.
>>>

>> oh right! But is this always the case, or just at the start of the
>> game?
>
> It's the case for small cities. As they get larger, then you start
> working more marginal squares, so you will need to irrigate more.
>
> Of course, early in the game, city size is capped at 6 or twelve, so
> this will be less of an issue. Also bear in mind that, once you have
> changed government, it's better to work an irrigated grassland plus a
> mined hill, than it is to work two mined grasslands.

Yes, those are good points! Thank you for them!

>> Are flood plains good then? I always got the impression they were
>> bad...
>
> They're bad to have in your radius, because they cause disease and
> don't produce any shields. They also tend to be found near desert.
> But if you've got them, you might as well use them. Irrigated, they
> produce four food, reduced to three by despotism.

Can you actually get rid of flood plains anyway? I'm guessing from the
sounds of it you can't. Odd how those squares actually have some use, as
you'd think they were bad...

>> ...Also what is the deal with forests...are they worth chopping
>> down? i see that they seem to give 1 gold, but 1 less food,...
>
> Two shields, one food, commerce (gold) only when roaded (same as with
> most other terrains).
>
>> ...but if you chop them down you get the shields...
>
> Ten to the nearest city.
>
>> ...I guess it just depends on how much gold you are getting for that
>> city doesn't it? Food vs shields again.
>
> Are you using "gold" as a synonym for shields? Please don't; it only
> causes confusion.

LOL not on purpose. You don't get gold on the plains without forests do
you? If so, I didn't think you did! Isn't that what forests have over
squares without forest?

> You are right that it's food vs. shields again. It also depends upon
> the underlying terrain. Tundra is better forested, because it only
> produces one food anyway. Only with a railroad does mined tundra
> match forested tundra.
>
> mined railroaded plains is better than forested. Without the
> railroad, they're equal, and you have the advantage that they can be
> irrigated instead.
>
> Clearing forest over grassland may turn up a grassland-shield square,
> which is always better than forest.
>
> *Very* occasionally, when I have a population-capped city producing
> excess food, I will afforest a bare (i.e no shield) grassland square.
> But I will only do this if I don't have railroad, and I would still
> have excess food even after mining everything in sight, and working
> all available hills and mountains.
>
> In summary, apart from tundra, and bare grassland, cleared terrain is
> always as good or better than forested, even if prefer shields over
> food. Whether it's worth clearing your forests depends upon what
> else you workers might be doing, though.
>
> [...]

Thanks! That is some pretty detailed information, and very helpful!

>> Yes, I can imagine! What level do you play on? I'm not sure I will
>> ever play on higher than Monarch!!! well, we'll see if I can win on
>> that level first
>
> I played on deity in all versions up to Conquests. In C3C I play
> demigod, which is about as hard as deity was in the earlier versions.
> Looking to move up a level after the end of my current game.
>
> [...]

How did it go? have you managed to win on Deity?

>> Is it worth going into anarchy and all that just for the war? By
>> the time you've changed and everything, it might well be all over!
>
> In conquests democratic war-weariness rapidly becomes crippling.
> Since I only fight the wars I want to, I have a good idea how long
> both war and peace will last. With a religious civ, anarchy only
> lasts a single turn. It's worth the switch.
>
> [...]

Yes, for just one turn, it definitely is! Usually, when I've had to go to
war, I've been in a position where some unhappiness doesn't matter too much,
as I can get around it, or have enough improvements to cater for it. I'm
guessing in harder difficulties, this won't be the case nearly as often.

>> oh yes, rush building! I didn't think of that! Thanks! But yes,
>> corruption can be a pain. But I think it's usually just because the
>> city only has a 9 square culture radius. That's the impression I
>> get anyway!
>
> As far as I'm aware, corruption is not affected by culture.
>
> [...]

Sorry, I meant that I think it isn't corruption that is causing the city to
not build things quickly, that it is the lack of shields being generated by
the city and the complicatedness of the structures needing to be built (you
are building structures that are very advanced, but only have the small
radius that you would have usually progressed from when building such
complicated structures normally).

>> The problem I usually find is that if I can afford to rush build
>> something, I usually don't need to do so, as I'm strong enough, but
>> if I do need to rush something, I can't afford it as I'm not strong
>> enough! You can't win!
>
> This could have a thread all to itself. What I do, as soon as the
> rapid expansion phase of the game is over, is focus almost
> exclusively on building up my economy. Provided you do nothing to
> piss them off, the other civs won't usually attack a rich civ,
> preferring to extort a trivial amount instead. So there is
> negligible risk in neglecting your military.
>
> Once you have become an economic superpower (which you can be, with
> even a fairly small civ), you will be able very rapidly to build up
> large forces for military adventures, buy any needed alliances, and,
> equally rapidly, bring newly captured cities up to maximal
> productivity. In my current game, with taxes at 100%, I'm taking in
> over 2500 gold/turn. Many of my cities produce 80 shields or more
> per turn and are still growing. And nothing can stand up to my war
> machine.

That does sound amazing! I was impressed with me getting a few hundred gold
a turn! You mention taxes though, how do you set that? I didn't know you
could...I think I certainly have a way to go witih the game, as it's hard
for me to imagine how you can get to be being so good at the game, and
getting so much per turn.

"Contro"
<moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
wrote...

<< Can you actually get rid of flood plains anyway? I'm guessing from the
sounds of it you can't. >>

No, but tech advances allow you to negate the disease-creating aspect of
them.

<< You mention taxes though, how do you set that? >>

Whatever is left over from your Science and Entertainment sliders goes into
Taxes. For example: If Science is set at 50% and Entertainment is set at 0%
(start of the game), Taxes are set at 50% (100-50-0).

Peter Smith

contro

Daran wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:43:58 -0600 Jeffery S. Jones
> <jeffsj@execpc.com>
> wrote in message <5nnep098gaercernb4751l91ifq85ga2ot@4ax.com>...
>
>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:51:45 -0000, "Contro"
>> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
>> wrote:
>
>> Before factories, you can expect to hit about one shield for each
>> worker...
>
> You mean for each point of population.
>
> [...]
>
>> I tend to rush the temple, then library if I need culture...
>
> I go the other way - library then temple. The reason to do it this
> way round, is that your borders expand in three turns instead of four
> (culture generated in three turns is 3 + 3 + 5 = 11 instead of 2 + 2
> + 5 = 9)
>
> If you can disband something (or you're willing to pay the extra
> gold) then you can build two improvement in two turns instead of
> three. Then I prefer to go library then university, expanding my
> borders in two turns (3 + 7 = 10).
>
> A newly captured city is much less likely to defect once its borders
> have expanded, so moving them out even a single turn earlier could
> save the city.

I have to admit that I've always gone for library first, not because of any
scientific reason, but because that has always seemed to be the improvement
that has increased the borders for me. I never noticed it with a temple
anyway, although I'm sure it has happened!

But I didn't know that increasing the borders stopped a city from defecting!
I'll keep that in mind!

Sorry I took a while to reply by the way. Things got a bit hectic!

contro

Peter Smith wrote:
> "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote...
>
> << Can you actually get rid of flood plains anyway? I'm guessing
> from the sounds of it you can't. >>
>
> No, but tech advances allow you to negate the disease-creating aspect
> of them.

ahh, well at least you don't always suffer from them!

> << You mention taxes though, how do you set that? >>
>
> Whatever is left over from your Science and Entertainment sliders
> goes into Taxes. For example: If Science is set at 50% and
> Entertainment is set at 0% (start of the game), Taxes are set at 50%
> (100-50-0).

So what if you set one at 100% and the other at something more than 0%? Or
is that not possible? I don't think I've ever tried it, now I think about
it....I usually just put money into scienctific, and leave the other
part...I'm guessing it's not possible to have both things combined to equal
more than 100%...

<< So what if you set one at 100% and the other at something more than 0%?

The first will come down as much as the second went up.

Peter Smith

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:24:04 -0000 Contro
wrote in message <cocqim$6o6$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> I have to admit that I've always gone for library first, not because of
> any scientific reason, but because that has always seemed to be the
> improvement that has increased the borders for me. I never noticed it
> with a temple anyway, although I'm sure it has happened!

A cities borders expand once it has accrued 10 culture points, then again at
100, 1000, 10,000, 20,000, etc. Libraries produce 3 culture points per
turn, temples 2. Multiple culture improvements are additive, so a city with
both a temple and a library will accumulate 5 culture points per turn.
Other cultural improvements are:

Palace: 1 Coluseum: 2 Cathedral: 3 University: 4 Research lab: (Don't
remember). Wonders: 1-4 (depending on the wonder).

Note also, that once gained, culture can never be lost. When captured, a
city retains the culture it earned for its former owner, which is one
significant factor in causing defections. Even if a city is destroyed, the
civ does not lose culture.

One other thing to know about culture. An improvement generates double the
listed amount if it has been in existence for more than 1000 years. That's
only a few turns, if you build it early enough.

> But I didn't know that increasing the borders stopped a city from
> defecting! I'll keep that in mind!

Only indirectly. Each square in a city's radius which lies within the
borders of another civ contributes to the risk of defection. (This is how
cities which have never belonged to a particular civ can defect to it.) One
border expansion will reclaim most or all of these squares.

However if the captured city is isolated from it's original master, then
border expansion per se won't help, although any new culture will still have
its normal protective effect.

> Sorry I took a while to reply by the way. Things got a bit hectic!

No prob.

--
Daran

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:21:10 -0000 Contro
wrote in message <cocqd7$6nq$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> Daran wrote: On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:53:27 -0000 Contro
> > <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> > wrote in message <cn8k4p$hi8$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> >
> >> Jeffery S. Jones wrote:

> >> Are flood plains good then? I always got the impression they were
> >> bad...
> >
> > They're bad to have in your radius, because they cause disease and don't
> > produce any shields. They also tend to be found near desert. But if
> > you've got them, you might as well use them. Irrigated, they produce
> > four food, reduced to three by despotism.
>
> Can you actually get rid of flood plains anyway? I'm guessing from the
> sounds of it you can't. Odd how those squares actually have some use, as
> you'd think they were bad...

Historically, the floodplains of the great rivers have been the cradles of
civilisation, precisely because they were so fertile. Think the Nile, or
the Gangies.

One other point to consider. A city build next to fresh water (a lake or a
river) doesn't need an aqueduct to grow to size 12. Construction is a
*late* ancient era tech, so building on floodplains (which are always found
next to a river) can give a significant advantage to a nascent civilisation,
if you are prepared to take the disease risk.

While we are on the subject of city placement, have you noticed that the
square a city is built on produces 2 food and 1 shield, regardless of the
underlying terrain? This means that poor terrain make good city sites, if
that means that better squares are available for working. In particular,
hills make great sites, because the city gets the defensive bonus.

> >> ...Also what is the deal with forests...are they worth chopping down?
> >> i see that they seem to give 1 gold, but 1 less food,...
> >
> > Two shields, one food, commerce (gold) only when roaded (same as with
> > most other terrains).
> >
> >> ...but if you chop them down you get the shields...
> >
> > Ten to the nearest city.
> >
> >> ...I guess it just depends on how much gold you are getting for that
> >> city doesn't it? Food vs shields again.
> >
> > Are you using "gold" as a synonym for shields? Please don't; it only
> > causes confusion.
>
> LOL not on purpose. You don't get gold on the plains without forests do
> you? If so, I didn't think you did! Isn't that what forests have over
> squares without forest?

Forests, mining, and irrigation have no effect on commerce (gold) in Civ3.
(Forests did in earlier version of the game.) The only worker action which
affects commerce is road, which increases it by one on every terrain (except
volcanos in C3C, where roads can't be build anyway.)

Railroads increase the effect of irrigation and mining by one food or shield
respectively.

The other thing to know about roads and railroads is that your enemies can't
use them within your cultural borders. So build them everywhere to give
your defending units a huge mobility advantage over invaders.

[...]

> >> Yes, I can imagine! What level do you play on? I'm not sure I will
> >> ever play on higher than Monarch!!! well, we'll see if I can win on
> >> that level first
> >
> > I played on deity in all versions up to Conquests. In C3C I play
> > demigod, which is about as hard as deity was in the earlier versions.
> > Looking to move up a level after the end of my current game.
> >
> > [...]
>
> How did it go?...

Just won a diplomatic victory, but I reloaded and am going for the
domination. Quite honestly, in my current position I can take any victory I
like, except single-city cultural. Whole-civ cultural is a long way off,
though.

> ...have you managed to win on Deity?

In every previous version of civ including PTW, yes, many times. With C3C,
being an arrogant ah heck I went straight to Sid level, and got my nose
bloodied for my hubris. This is my first victory in C3C.

[...]

> Yes, for just one turn, it definitely is! Usually, when I've had to go to
> war, I've been in a position where some unhappiness doesn't matter too
> much, as I can get around it, or have enough improvements to cater for it.
> I'm guessing in harder difficulties, this won't be the case nearly as
> often.

Unhappiness, both in war and in peace, is a major problem at demigod and
higher, because you only get one citizen born content.

[...]

> Sorry, I meant that I think it isn't corruption that is causing the city
> to not build things quickly, that it is the lack of shields being
> generated by the city and the complicatedness of the structures needing to
> be built (you are building structures that are very advanced, but only
> have the small radius that you would have usually progressed from when
> building such complicated structures normally).

So the problem is that the eight squares you have to work aren't producing
enough shields. I understand you now.

[...]

> > Once you have become an economic superpower (which you can be, with even
> > a fairly small civ), you will be able very rapidly to build up large
> > forces for military adventures, buy any needed alliances, and, equally
> > rapidly, bring newly captured cities up to maximal productivity. In my
> > current game, with taxes at 100%, I'm taking in over 2500 gold/turn...

From my cities alone. 2900 including payments from other civs. This is
net, i.e., the surplus after paying maintenance and support costs. I have
about 80 cities, many of them very corrupt and undeveloped because they have
only just been acquired during my recent evisceration of the Indian
Superpower, now reduced to a rump. I'm spending that surplus every turn on
developing them.

> > ...Many of my cities produce 80 shields or more per turn and are still
> > growing. And nothing can stand up to my war machine.
>
> That does sound amazing! I was impressed with me getting a few hundred
> gold a turn! You mention taxes though, how do you set that? I didn't
> know you could...I think I certainly have a way to go witih the game, as
> it's hard for me to imagine how you can get to be being so good at the
> game, and getting so much per turn.

I don't know whether the Civ3 manual talks about tax rates, or whether this
is a terminological legacy from earlier version. Basically your tax rate is
whatever proportion of your total commerce which isn't spent on science or
happiness.

--
Daran

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:33:35 -0000 Contro
wrote in message <cnb3r1$6kn$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> ahh, yes, so it's basically just on whether you want to get the population
> up...so is it basically that your city improvments take care of your
> shields generation once you get to a reasonably sized and advanced city?
> The way you irrigate, mind or leave alone your city just matters at the
> start of the game, to get you started?

It matters all the time. You can change a mined square to irrigation and
vice versa, just by putting a worker on it to build the new improvement. I
may change any give square several times over during the course of a game,
to better meet my cities' needs at the time.

--

P12 wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:00:51 -0600, Jeffery S. Jones
> <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote:
>
>>> Are flood plains good then? I always got the impression they were
>>> bad....Also what is the deal with forests...are they worth chopping
>>> down? i see that they seem to give 1 gold, but 1 less food, but if
>>> you chop them down you get the shields. I guess it just depends on
>>> how much gold you are getting for that city doesn't it? Food vs
>>> shields again.
>>
>> Flood plains offer good food production, which is good in that
>> cities based there can turn out workers and settlers easily. The
>> disease there is a problem, but I find it a worthwhile tradeoff. Of
>> course, usually if I have floodplains close to home, I have little
>> choice about whether or not to build cities there -- I need the room.
>
> If you build on flood plains try and keep each city to a couple of
> squares. I just captured an AI city that had only one or two other
> types of terrain.

ahh, I see, so one or two are not bad, but having loads of them isn't great?

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:36:49 -0000, "Contro"
wrote:

>> If you build on flood plains try and keep each city to a couple of
>> squares. I just captured an AI city that had only one or two other
>> types of terrain.
>
>ahh, I see, so one or two are not bad, but having loads of them isn't great?

Yeah because you can't mine them. The population will balloon out of
control and you will have no shields to build anything with. I also
try to keep them from being right next to the city so the citizens
don't die of disease. The population grows so fast though it probably
doesn't matter.

contro

Peter Smith wrote:
> << So what if you set one at 100% and the other at something more
> than 0%?
>>>

> The first will come down as much as the second went up.
>

> Peter Smith

Okay, thanks! I thought it was that, but it's been so long since I tried to
put anyones happiness up by using the other bar, I couldn't remember!

TRENDING THREADS