How do I get rid of MSN Messenger after installing service..

I had removed windows messenger from my win xp home system with a
program called kill the messenger which I think removed registry
entries. I can't stand having programs open, chewing up memory that I
don't use and seeing it in my system tray. I recently installed
service pack 2 and messenger is back. I remove it from the list of
start up programs it still comes back, I use kill the messenger again,
it comes back, how do I get rid of it? Thanks.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can tell it not to start when Windows starts and, thereby, not have it
using resouces and visible in the tray. Open it and go to tools > options.

<E_Blofeld@ziplip.com> wrote in message
>I had removed windows messenger from my win xp home system with a
> program called kill the messenger which I think removed registry
> entries. I can't stand having programs open, chewing up memory that I
> don't use and seeing it in my system tray. I recently installed
> service pack 2 and messenger is back. I remove it from the list of
> start up programs it still comes back, I use kill the messenger again,
> it comes back, how do I get rid of it? Thanks.

Click on Start Menu --> Run, and paste in this line:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

That will uninstall Windows Messenger for you.

Sincerely,
Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
--

<E_Blofeld@ziplip.com> wrote in message
>I had removed windows messenger from my win xp home system with a
> program called kill the messenger which I think removed registry
> entries. I can't stand having programs open, chewing up memory that I
> don't use and seeing it in my system tray. I recently installed
> service pack 2 and messenger is back. I remove it from the list of
> start up programs it still comes back, I use kill the messenger again,
> it comes back, how do I get rid of it? Thanks.

Michael,

I cannot tell you how badly I have searched for this fix
for the past few months. Nothing I tried really worked.
This fix that you gave to E_Blofeld really rules supreme.

Thank you so much!

You're very welcome :) Email me anytime you run into issues.

Sincerely,
Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]