Slightly Different Messenger Problems

October 8, 2004 12:39:46 AM

I have a couple of slightly different (from pervious
threads) problems with Messenger and MSN Messenger. I use
them. The problem is that my nephew, who visited recently,
used them too. Now I have several sign-in names that I'd
like to get rid of but don't know how.

Also, MSN Messenger periodically signs in automatically
even though I've unchecked "Sign In Automatically". How can
I stop this? I don't need to have someone else signing in
as me on Messenger.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 4:02:24 AM

Greetings Dick,

To remove these names, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click
User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name, and then on the left side of
the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that
opens, you can remove an account by clicking the passport you wish to delete [denoted by
(Passport)], and then click the 'Remove' button. For more detailed instructions and
screenshots on this procedure, see here:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=2

Also, within that window, remove the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry, this will solve your
second problem.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Dick Moser" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a couple of slightly different (from pervious
> threads) problems with Messenger and MSN Messenger. I use
> them. The problem is that my nephew, who visited recently,
> used them too. Now I have several sign-in names that I'd
> like to get rid of but don't know how.
>
> Also, MSN Messenger periodically signs in automatically
> even though I've unchecked "Sign In Automatically". How can
> I stop this? I don't need to have someone else signing in
> as me on Messenger.
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 9:59:01 PM

I had a similar situation but I have just found out that these names are also
in "regedit". How can I safely remove all of these from the registry

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Dick,
>
> To remove these names, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click
> User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name, and then on the left side of
> the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that
> opens, you can remove an account by clicking the passport you wish to delete [denoted by
> (Passport)], and then click the 'Remove' button. For more detailed instructions and
> screenshots on this procedure, see here:
> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=2
>
> Also, within that window, remove the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry, this will solve your
> second problem.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Dick Moser" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a couple of slightly different (from pervious
> > threads) problems with Messenger and MSN Messenger. I use
> > them. The problem is that my nephew, who visited recently,
> > used them too. Now I have several sign-in names that I'd
> > like to get rid of but don't know how.
> >
> > Also, MSN Messenger periodically signs in automatically
> > even though I've unchecked "Sign In Automatically". How can
> > I stop this? I don't need to have someone else signing in
> > as me on Messenger.

October 11, 2004 1:05:21 AM

Hi,

These names are not in the registry, you cannot remove them like that.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"mikey3456" <mikey3456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a similar situation but I have just found out that these names are also
> in "regedit". How can I safely remove all of these from the registry
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings Dick,
>>
>> To remove these names, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click
>> User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name, and then on the left side of
>> the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that
>> opens, you can remove an account by clicking the passport you wish to delete [denoted by
>> (Passport)], and then click the 'Remove' button. For more detailed instructions and
>> screenshots on this procedure, see here:
>> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=2
>>
>> Also, within that window, remove the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry, this will solve your
>> second problem.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Dick Moser" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a couple of slightly different (from pervious
>> > threads) problems with Messenger and MSN Messenger. I use
>> > them. The problem is that my nephew, who visited recently,
>> > used them too. Now I have several sign-in names that I'd
>> > like to get rid of but don't know how.
>> >
>> > Also, MSN Messenger periodically signs in automatically
>> > even though I've unchecked "Sign In Automatically". How can
>> > I stop this? I don't need to have someone else signing in
>> > as me on Messenger.

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 1:05:22 AM

This is an example of what I'm talking about with the e-mail address altered.
Ther are also other there. How can I get rid of them? or can I?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> These names are not in the registry, you cannot remove them like that.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "mikey3456" <mikey3456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had a similar situation but I have just found out that these names are also
> > in "regedit". How can I safely remove all of these from the registry
> >
> > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings Dick,
> >>
> >> To remove these names, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click
> >> User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name, and then on the left side of
> >> the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that
> >> opens, you can remove an account by clicking the passport you wish to delete [denoted by
> >> (Passport)], and then click the 'Remove' button. For more detailed instructions and
> >> screenshots on this procedure, see here:
> >> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=2
> >>
> >> Also, within that window, remove the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry, this will solve your
> >> second problem.
> >> ____________________________________________
> >> Jonathan Kay
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
> >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >>
> >> "Dick Moser" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 8:00:18 AM

Hi,

This is for the welcome screen, it won't affect the actual Passport login.

You can remove these without causing any problems though.

!