Benefits Of Linux

superpsa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
I'm trying to find out information on the positives and negatives of Linux RedHat over Windows 2000. I've tried online, but a lot of it is incredibly biased and basically consists of jokes made about each set up. Can someone give me info on things like security, reliability, useability and cost? Obviously a lot of it is simple like Win2K is more expensive, but I need more info.

AMD Is An Anagram Of MAD, Intel Is An Anagram Of INLET, Cyrix...Ah Who Cares?

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Much depends on your usage intentions - I'll take it as corporate/office desktop... I'm a little confused by the OS you specify, because Win2K is getting on a bit, and RedHat as we knew it is toast - it's Fedora and RedHat AS/ES/WS now.

Security:
Win2K is pretty bad "out of the box". A lot of the problems aren't easily fixable unless MS provides patches. Some can be worked around, eg disabling Internet Explorer and using Mozilla, etc.
RedHat Linux is reasonable "out of the box" these days, but still wants some tweaking to nail it down. RedHat is very good with providing patches over RHN (also drawing from the various projects that actually provide the software in the distro). Linux obviously doesn't have the same drama over viruses and worms as Windows machines do (yet?) particularly if you are not running server software.

Reliability:
Both are good, in my experience. As long as users don't install random crud, it's ok. We have both here, and basically don't ever have crashes. Linux may be better able to prevent random crud being installed however, and separate user space from system space.

Usability:
Subjectively equal, I'd say. KDE 3.x and Gnome 2.x desktops are both excellent, IMO. OpenOffice and Mozilla are fine to use as well (same on both Windows and Linux). Deskops basically operate the same way, and there's even the "start menu" metaphor in the form of the Gnome Foot menu or K menu. Some users who are used to earier versions of Windows might have trouble with any transition, but no more than a WinXP move. A sensible admin will just make some shortcuts/links for common apps until they learn the menus (not hard, just some folks work that way).

Cost:
Just got silly. RedHat was free to download and $60/pa for updates but has rocketed to $180+ for a WS (workstation) upgrade service, and is about $100 for their "Professional Workstation" variant. Obviously you can save dollars by looking at other options, eg Debian, Mandrake. I don't even know what Win2K would cost anymore.

Hopefully I'm not writing your homework essay for you here, but if you have any specific questions please ask.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Windows 2000 advantages:
Ease of use
1. The "de facto" business productivity standard (i.e. Exchange+Outlook, MS Office)
2. Simple navigation and installation of programs
3. Intuitive (debatable, but most people know windows).
4. Simple centralized administration.
5. Program availability
6. Program simplicity (i.e. few alternative programs are used for email, browsing, productivity and management)

Windows 2000 drawbacks:
1. Security (getting better, but viruses, security holes and bugs are still too prevalent).
2. IMHO stability (many disagree, but the server versions we had at work needed reboots every so often)
3. No "all powerful" account (Administrator account does not have godlike powers).
4. Little room for customization
5. Memory management is poor
6. Difficult recovery of broken/crashed system

Red Hat/Linux benefits:
1. Lots of room for tweaking/customization
2. root (root, God - What's the difference)
3. Stability and security
4. Price
5. Efficiency/performance
6. Many good choices in server software

Red Hat/Linux drawbacks:
1. Software lacking on the client side
2. Decentralized administration
3. Learning curve can be steep
4. Drivers are still lacking for many "common" devices
5. Navigation and installation can be hard

These were the ones that popped into my head. Many of these points can be rectified, but I took an "out of the box" approach and did not assume that you have a lot of *nix experience.

Dev

---
My new years resolution is 1280 x 1024

iccaros

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004
Linux --FREE (with out support)
easy to customize
Don't like the distribution build your own.
if your a programing student all development tools are FREE
I miss where RH is missing software for the client. the only thing I see missing is a VISO type program.
you can administer centrality using RHN (this is RED HAT)
or administer using A CVS server and some SSH scripts (if you need help in that red hat has a great class)

windows--
everyone else is using it (another reason not to in my opinion)
VISO (the only reason it is on my work laptop)
Virus
fragmented hard drives
reboot to apply patches,this is so ingrained most people don't know they do it.
I asked 12 windows users at work the lats time they rebooted and the first answer was a month or two.
Than I dug in , did they do the security updates that are out every week?
So I asked some more and they realized they reboot almost everyday and don't think about it.

the best part about Linux I can make 1000 copies and give them away and not have to worry about mighty Microsoft breaking down my door..

oh one last thing RED HAT WS will cost you that why they offer fedora for free, the difference is proprietary software they add plus support. its up to you.

The biggest drawback to Linux is if you play games. But with Unreal 2004 being released for Linux I think that will change. (we should all go buy just to show we will support native Linux games so other companies will also release there games for Linux)

Willaim S. Huskey
Network Engineer
SAIC
"there are 10 types of people in this world. They who understand binary and they who do not"