Win 7 freeze right after startup

spyder0314

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Hello, about a month ago, i started to build my pc, everything is going well until about a month later when i bought gtx 460. I started playing few games, everythings good, until I played bad company 2 for about 20 minutes when it just froze on me. After that everything went downhill from there. Now even if i don't play a game it'll just freeze right after startup. Sometimes a few minutes, sometimes it might take to close to an hour. I did everything that I can to fix it. Reseat everything, reinstall operating system, memory placement, using the onboard videocard, etc. As far as i know everything is up to date, bios, drivers, etc. Also a good number of times I also experince some freezing when my phone received a text message, it seems like its also sensitive to rf. Not all the time but sometimes it does freeze right after. When I go to safe mode, I don't experience any freeze at all, so it could be a driver issue? my friend is telling me maybe its the cpu, mobo or memory? Help plz, Thank you.

Pc specs:
Asus m4a785td-evo
Amd phenom II 555
evga gtx 460 768mb
gskill ripjaws ddr3 pc12800 1600
cooler master 690 II
thermaltake black widow 850w/antec earthwatts 500w
seagate 250G
lite-on dvd burner

Run memtest on the system.

Run Prime95 in stress test mode for a while, see if it crashes. There are 3 selections you can pick in Prime95 for stress test, try each of them for a couple of hours, maybe even overnight.

If it's an issue with your RAM/CPU or coolling, that should find it. Random lock-ups are a bit tricky to find out without a lot of trouble-shooting. Could be CPU, could be RAM, could be power supply, could be you dropped some cheese in the vents, just need to test/swap out each component untill things are stable.

spyder0314

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I will try to run memtest in safe mode. I did ran prime95 before and i wasn't getting any crashes. I do have one problem about this specific motherboard though. The color coded ram slots are different, instead of alternating, its black black, then blue blue, but it says on the board its alternating, so im confuse. I changed the psu so i guess thats not really the problem.

schoff

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
You have a great PSU but you might want to consider switching one out with a friends and seeing if that is your problem. You said you recently upgraded your graphics card--your PSU might have been able to handle the extra power your new card required, but all of that extra juice can effect the PSU over a long period of time. It is not uncommon for PSU's to malfunction early in their use.

Good luck and let me know if this helps.