Favorite Civilization

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Anyone have a favorite Civilization?

I prefer the Russians. Being scientific & expansionistic gives me the best
advantage with my play style. I also find the Cossak to be the most
valuable Civ Specific Unit.

Just curious

In article <gkemd.27495$KJ6.14386@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Jason" <jason.martin@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Anyone have a favorite Civilization?
>
> I prefer the Russians. Being scientific & expansionistic gives me the best
> advantage with my play style. I also find the Cossak to be the most
> valuable Civ Specific Unit.
>
> Just curious

The Aztec Warrior is the king of battle for the price for more than four
thousand years in some positions with Game of the Year edition on a Mac
at Deity level.

Cliff Nelson

Dry your tears, there's more fun for your ears,
"Forward Into The Past" 2 PM to 5 PM, Sundays,
California time, at: http://www.kspc.org/

Don't be a square or a blockhead; see:
http://users.adelphia.net/~cnelson9/

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 03:18:36 GMT, "Jason" <jason.martin@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Anyone have a favorite Civilization?

Persians followed by Babs. I like to research and get early GAs, and
since I always play on Earth maps with real start locations I get a
good chance at Africa, Asia, and Europe all three.

Steve

"Jason" <jason.martin@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have a favorite Civilization?
>
> I prefer the Russians. Being scientific & expansionistic gives me the
> best advantage with my play style.

I liek Babylon. I like to wipe out a few nearby civilization of the bat.

Gareeth

I haven't seen any, so I doubt there are any, but just in case I am
wrong again, are there any cheat codes to Civ 3 Conquests?

Thanks for the help.

Buck

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:38:56 -0500, The Great Gazoo <thegreat@ga.zoo>
wrote:

>I haven't seen any, so I doubt there are any, but just in case I am
>wrong again, are there any cheat codes to Civ 3 Conquests?
>
>Thanks for the help.

Not in the game. Alter reality to your heart's-content in the editor
though. Once you launch a game, you're stick.

Steve

Vanilla Civ I tried most and found, by far, my favourite to play was the
Iroquois. A very early kick-ass UU in the mounted warrior, but it means a
very early golden age, which isn't usually a good thing.

When PTW world came out I found the Arabs (another religious/expansonist
civ) the most fun to play, with a later UU in the Ansar warrior. And I'd put
the Ottoman sipahi up against Cossacks any day.

My very favourite Civ ever to play now is the Maya. Javelin throwers have
the power of enslavement and are great to throw up against barbarians for
free workers. True, I wouldn't put them up against Cossacks, but hopefully
I have the Russians under control long before they get Cossacks :)

Stella

wrote:

>Anyone have a favorite Civilization?
>
>I prefer the Russians. Being scientific & expansionistic gives me the best
>advantage with my play style. I also find the Cossak to be the most
>valuable Civ Specific Unit.
>
>Just curious

I enjoy industrious, religious, scientific, militaristic, and
agricultural in that order. I rotate between quite few different
civs.

The Persians where my favorite in vanilla civ. I think the Ottomans
where my favorite in PTW. I haven't decided yet in Conquests. I have
played the Summerians and Celts so far and I liked both.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:56:00 -0600, Steve Bartman wrote:

>...since I always play on Earth maps with real start locations...

Doesn't that get boring? What would you say are your main reasons for doing
that?

(Not trying to get in an argument about the matter, just interested in
learning from the experience of others).

To me, not knowing the geography from the beginning is one of the most
exiting features of Civilization.

I also always let the game choose my civ at random for me, forcing me to
adjust my strategy to what I'm given.

It's becoming pretty obvious from this thread anyway, that there's no such
thing as "The Best Civ".
--
Best regards,
Henrik Dissing

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:41:01 +0100, Henrik Dissing
<sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:56:00 -0600, Steve Bartman wrote:
>
>>...since I always play on Earth maps with real start locations...
>
>Doesn't that get boring? What would you say are your main reasons for doing
>that?

It probably would if I didn't mod, but I use the editor aggressively
to play what-if games. I start with DYP/RAR and I mod the hell out of
units, terrain variables, government effects, starting parameters,
etc. What if Polynesian rafts had 5 movement square capability and
could get to Australia very, very quickly, but found it absolutely
overrun with barbarians? What if France had oil wells? What if Europe
and the Middle East had not one iron deposit? What if N. America had
rubber? What if wheeled vehicles could never cross mountains or hills
and roads were not allowed there? (choke point city) What if Asian
settlers could defend themselves but other types could not? (Ditto for
workers.) What if Golden Ages lasted 100 years instead of 20? What if
minimum research time was 1 turn, but settlers took four pop. to
construct? What if max city size without aqueducts was 4? What if
non-road movement for all non-wheeled units was 1, but road movement
was 6? What if forests could be cleared in 3 turns? What if all N.
American civs could expand like crazy, but could never develop any
form of ship or boat? And on and on and on.

Some changes wildly unbalance the scenario, many do not. I save each
version under a unique name, along with a vanilla original copy, and
have a lot of fun exploring the corners of history.

>(Not trying to get in an argument about the matter, just interested in
>learning from the experience of others).
>
>To me, not knowing the geography from the beginning is one of the most
>exiting features of Civilization.

Geography has driven Earth development probably more than any other
single factor. I like working with those possibilities/restrictions.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

Depends upon the level.
For a Demigod level, I want an agrictural civ, preferably Maya or the Celts.

At the Emperor level, I tend to want a non-agrictural civs to make it more sporting.