The ap slow down all the cabled lan

Hi everybody!
I've a great problem with my ap.
I've 2 pc connected with the cable at the hub and at this hub ther's
connected also the ap (with 2 laptop in wireless)
If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time of this is
around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's impossible surf
the internet.
And this in every pc, wireless or not.
When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at the ping
near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage all the
cabled lan???
I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with one
old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but nothing...HELP ME
PLEASE!!!
Thanks
Andrea
12 answers Last reply
More about slow cabled

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:56:25 +0200, Andrea wrote:

    > Hi everybody!
    > I've a great problem with my ap.
    > I've 2 pc connected with the cable at the hub and at this hub ther's
    > connected also the ap (with 2 laptop in wireless)
    > If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time of this is
    > around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's impossible surf
    > the internet.
    > And this in every pc, wireless or not.
    > When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at the ping
    > near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
    > How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage all the
    > cabled lan???
    > I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with one
    > old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but nothing...HELP ME
    > PLEASE!!!
    > Thanks
    > Andrea

    Do you get this result with the ap connected and the laptops turned off? It
    could be a virus on one of the laptops.

    --
    Barry

    > Do you get this result with the ap connected and the laptops turned off?
    It
    > could be a virus on one of the laptops.

    Yes...tried also this

    Andrea,

    Please describe your setup in more detail. Is your AP actually a wireless
    router? If not, what router are you using to connect to the Internet? Are
    you actually using an Ethernet hub, as your wrote, or are you using an
    Ethernet switch?

    For security reasons, you should never connect an AP to an Ethernet hub. It
    will cause all your wired traffic to be transmitted by the AP. In your
    case, I think there's another reason not to use a hub. For some reason that
    I can't tell from your description, your AP is sending a lot of frames to
    the hub. The hub is repeating those frames to all of your computers. This
    is slowing down the network performance of all your computers.

    I recommend that you run a sniffer program, like Ethereal, on one of the
    computers to see what the AP is sending to the wired LAN.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Andrea" <andrea@fastwebnet.it> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody!
    > I've a great problem with my ap.
    > I've 2 pc connected with the cable at the hub and at this hub ther's
    > connected also the ap (with 2 laptop in wireless)
    > If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time of this
    is
    > around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's impossible
    surf
    > the internet.
    > And this in every pc, wireless or not.
    > When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at the
    ping
    > near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
    > How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage all the
    > cabled lan???
    > I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with one
    > old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but nothing...HELP ME
    > PLEASE!!!
    > Thanks
    > Andrea

    you all are looking too deep, the laptop is trying to share an addy on the
    router, ipconfig /release...renew should do the trick
    > Hi everybody!
    > I've a great problem with my ap.
    > I've 2 pc connected with the cable at the hub and at this hub ther's
    > connected also the ap (with 2 laptop in wireless)
    > If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time of this
    is
    > around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's impossible
    surf
    > the internet.
    > And this in every pc, wireless or not.
    > When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at the
    ping
    > near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
    > How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage all the
    > cabled lan???
    > I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with one
    > old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but nothing...HELP ME
    > PLEASE!!!
    > Thanks
    > Andrea

    Hi Ron
    I've resolved the problem about the speed (was one laptop of my(bastard)
    housemate connected on the wireless...actually i don't why...but i'll ceck
    later)
    Now...doing a lot of test, I had resetted the AP...and now is no more
    working.
    When I try to go to the page to set it up, by iexplorer at its ip
    address...I can only upload a new firmware and nothing else. So i've
    tryied, but it go in block. After 5 second that i've pusched the button
    "send"(the new firmware), winxp tell to me that the lan cable is
    disconnected and immediately connected...and nothing else.
    All this operation with the cable because the wireless on the ap is not
    working.
    I've tryied to reset it one more time, but nothing.
    Via telnet what's the number of the port? Because on the 23 it's not
    responding.
    Thanks for the help
    Andrea

    -------------------------------------
    Ron Bandes wrote:

    > Andrea,

    > Please describe your setup in more detail. Is your AP actually a
    > wireless
    > router? If not, what router are you using to connect to the Internet?
    > Are
    > you actually using an Ethernet hub, as your wrote, or are you using an
    > Ethernet switch?

    > For security reasons, you should never connect an AP to an Ethernet
    > hub. It
    > will cause all your wired traffic to be transmitted by the AP. In your
    > case, I think there's another reason not to use a hub. For some reason
    > that
    > I can't tell from your description, your AP is sending a lot of frames
    > the hub. The hub is repeating those frames to all of your computers.
    > This
    > is slowing down the network performance of all your computers.

    > I recommend that you run a sniffer program, like Ethereal, on one of
    > the
    > computers to see what the AP is sending to the wired LAN.

    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    > "Andrea" <andrea@fastwebnet.it> wrote in message
    >> Hi everybody!
    >> I've a great problem with my ap.
    >> I've 2 pc connected with the cable at the hub and at this hub
    >> ther's
    >> connected also the ap (with 2 laptop in wireless)
    >> If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time
    >> of this
    > is
    >> around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's
    >> impossible
    > surf
    >> the internet.
    >> And this in every pc, wireless or not.
    >> When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at
    >> the
    > ping
    >> near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
    >> How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage
    >> all the
    >> cabled lan???
    >> I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with
    >> one
    >> old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but
    >> nothing...HELP ME
    >> PLEASE!!!
    >> Thanks
    >> Andrea

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
    no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.internet.wireless

    When you did a factory reset on the AP, it may have changed the IP address
    of the AP (if you had been using an address that was not the default
    address). Look in the user manual to find the default IP address. I don't
    know what model of AP you have; please post the brand and model number.
    Usually APs are configured with a web browser (HTTP), not Telnet.

    It's good that you're using the wired interface to configure the router.
    It's more secure and it's more reliable. And you should ALWAYS perform
    firmware upgrades using the wired connection; the consequences of a failed
    firmware upgrade are way too inconvenient.

    If you're saying that XP is complaining that the WIRED interface is getting
    disconnected, then I think you have two things to check. The first, of
    course, is the wiring. The second is follow Mailman's suggestion to use
    "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" on all the computers; there may be
    an IP address conflict.

    Andrea, please post more information about what equipment you are using and
    how they're interconnected.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "AndreaITA" <kisono_at_virgilio_dot_it@foo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > >> the internet.
    > >> And this in every pc, wireless or not.
    > >> When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at
    > >> the
    > > ping
    > >> near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
    > >> How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage
    > >> all the
    > >> cabled lan???
    > >> I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with
    > >> one
    > >> old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but
    > >> nothing...HELP ME
    > >> PLEASE!!!
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Andrea

    > When you did a factory reset on the AP, it may have changed the IP address
    > of the AP (if you had been using an address that was not the default
    The ip is correct (i can ping the ap) and i can go to the configuration page
    by browser and its ip, but i can find only the upload firmware page and
    nothing else.
    The ap is: D-LINK 900AP+ (H/W: C1 F/W:3.02) the ip is 192.168.0.50 and the
    ip of my pc is 192.168.0.75

    > Usually APs are configured with a web browser (HTTP), not Telnet.
    I know, but because i'm not able to upload by http, I want to try by telnet
    (I don't know if it's possible)

    > If you're saying that XP is complaining that the WIRED interface is
    getting
    > disconnected, then I think you have two things to check. The first, of
    > course, is the wiring. The second is follow Mailman's suggestion to use
    > "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" on all the computers; there may
    be
    > an IP address conflict.

    The connection with the ap is good (because if it isn't, I can't go to the
    firmware upload page)

    > Andrea, please post more information about what equipment you are using
    and
    > how they're interconnected.
    Now the ap is connected directly with my pc with a cross cable (I had try
    with a normal cable to), and nothing else
    Thanks very much

    P.s sorry if I post here and not on your answer, but I don't know why
    outlook express dont admit me to do it

    > The ap is: D-LINK 900AP+ (H/W: C1 F/W:3.02) the ip is 192.168.0.50 and the
    > ip of my pc is 192.168.0.75
    > > Andrea, please post more information about what equipment you are using
    > > and how they're interconnected.
    > Now the ap is connected directly with my pc with a cross cable (I had try
    > with a normal cable to), and nothing else

    How are you connected to the Internet? Is the PC running ICS?

    > How are you connected to the Internet? Is the PC running ICS?

    I'm connected with the cable to the hub and to the router, when I've to use
    the ap, I unplag internet and I connect the crossed cable.

    > > How are you connected to the Internet? Is the PC running ICS?
    >
    > I'm connected with the cable to the hub and to the router, when I've to
    use
    > the ap, I unplag internet and I connect the crossed cable.

    So you're not plugging the AP into the hub. When you're not using the
    Internet, you unplug your PC from the hub, and you connect the PC's only
    Ethernet adapter to the AP via a crossover cable.

    When you are not connected to the Internet, how are your devices (PC, AP,
    other computers) getting IP address assignments? Where is the DHCP server?
    Are you using static addresses?

    Either you must manually assign static IP addresses to all your devices, or
    you must run a DHCP server to assign IP addresses. The AP will not act as a
    DHCP server. The PC could. With a Home version of Windows, ICS could be
    your DHCP server, but it requires a second Ethernet adapter.

    If you use static addressing when you're not connected to the Internet,
    you'll have to use the same LAN subnet number as you use on the router's
    LAN. That way the PC's address will be compatible with both LANs.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    > So you're not plugging the AP into the hub. When you're not using the
    > Internet, you unplug your PC from the hub, and you connect the PC's only
    > Ethernet adapter to the AP via a crossover cable.

    EXACTLY!

    > When you are not connected to the Internet, how are your devices (PC, AP,
    > other computers) getting IP address assignments? Where is the DHCP
    server?
    > Are you using static addresses?
    >
    > Either you must manually assign static IP addresses to all your devices,
    or
    > you must run a DHCP server to assign IP addresses. The AP will not act as
    > DHCP server. The PC could. With a Home version of Windows, ICS could be
    > your DHCP server, but it requires a second Ethernet adapter.

    I'm not using the DHCP, the IP are static

    > If you use static addressing when you're not connected to the Internet,
    > you'll have to use the same LAN subnet number as you use on the router's
    > LAN. That way the PC's address will be compatible with both LANs.

    The connection with the AP by cable is ok, because i can ping it and i can
    go to the upload firmware page(I've already write these in the ather
    post)...so why all this question???

    > The connection with the AP by cable is ok, because i can ping it and i can
    > go to the upload firmware page(I've already write these in the ather
    > post)...so why all this question???

    I ask these questions to understand your setup. Quite frankly, it's been
    like pulling teeth to get you to describe your network. Don't worry; no
    more questions.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "It's hard to mean what you say when you don't say what you mean."

Wireless Internet Wireless Networking