The ap slow down all the cabled lan

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 30, 2004 10:56:25 PM

Hi everybody!
I've a great problem with my ap.
I've 2 pc connected with the cable at the hub and at this hub ther's
connected also the ap (with 2 laptop in wireless)
If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time of this is
around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's impossible surf
the internet.
And this in every pc, wireless or not.
When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at the ping
near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage all the
cabled lan???
I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with one
old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but nothing...HELP ME
PLEASE!!!
Thanks
Andrea

More about : slow cabled lan

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 30, 2004 10:56:26 PM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:56:25 +0200, Andrea wrote:

> Hi everybody!
> I've a great problem with my ap.
> I've 2 pc connected with the cable at the hub and at this hub ther's
> connected also the ap (with 2 laptop in wireless)
> If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time of this is
> around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's impossible surf
> the internet.
> And this in every pc, wireless or not.
> When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at the ping
> near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
> How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage all the
> cabled lan???
> I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with one
> old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but nothing...HELP ME
> PLEASE!!!
> Thanks
> Andrea

Do you get this result with the ap connected and the laptops turned off? It
could be a virus on one of the laptops.

--
Barry
June 30, 2004 11:31:01 PM

> Do you get this result with the ap connected and the laptops turned off?
It
> could be a virus on one of the laptops.

Yes...tried also this
a b F Wireless
July 1, 2004 11:18:15 AM

Andrea,

Please describe your setup in more detail. Is your AP actually a wireless
router? If not, what router are you using to connect to the Internet? Are
you actually using an Ethernet hub, as your wrote, or are you using an
Ethernet switch?

For security reasons, you should never connect an AP to an Ethernet hub. It
will cause all your wired traffic to be transmitted by the AP. In your
case, I think there's another reason not to use a hub. For some reason that
I can't tell from your description, your AP is sending a lot of frames to
the hub. The hub is repeating those frames to all of your computers. This
is slowing down the network performance of all your computers.

I recommend that you run a sniffer program, like Ethereal, on one of the
computers to see what the AP is sending to the wired LAN.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Andrea" <andrea@fastwebnet.it> wrote in message
> Hi everybody!
> I've a great problem with my ap.
> I've 2 pc connected with the cable at the hub and at this hub ther's
> connected also the ap (with 2 laptop in wireless)
> If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time of this
is
> around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's impossible
surf
> the internet.
> And this in every pc, wireless or not.
> When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at the
ping
> near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
> How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage all the
> cabled lan???
> I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with one
> old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but nothing...HELP ME
> PLEASE!!!
> Thanks
> Andrea

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 1, 2004 11:59:05 AM

you all are looking too deep, the laptop is trying to share an addy on the
router, ipconfig /release...renew should do the trick
> Hi everybody!
> I've a great problem with my ap.
> I've 2 pc connected with the cable at the hub and at this hub ther's
> connected also the ap (with 2 laptop in wireless)
> If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time of this
is
> around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's impossible
surf
> the internet.
> And this in every pc, wireless or not.
> When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at the
ping
> near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
> How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage all the
> cabled lan???
> I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with one
> old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but nothing...HELP ME
> PLEASE!!!
> Thanks
> Andrea

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 1, 2004 6:48:49 PM

Hi Ron
I've resolved the problem about the speed (was one laptop of my(bastard)
housemate connected on the wireless...actually i don't why...but i'll ceck
later)
Now...doing a lot of test, I had resetted the AP...and now is no more
working.
When I try to go to the page to set it up, by iexplorer at its ip
address...I can only upload a new firmware and nothing else. So i've
tryied, but it go in block. After 5 second that i've pusched the button
"send"(the new firmware), winxp tell to me that the lan cable is
disconnected and immediately connected...and nothing else.
All this operation with the cable because the wireless on the ap is not
working.
I've tryied to reset it one more time, but nothing.
Via telnet what's the number of the port? Because on the 23 it's not
responding.
Thanks for the help
Andrea

-------------------------------------
Ron Bandes wrote:

> Andrea,

> Please describe your setup in more detail. Is your AP actually a
> wireless
> router? If not, what router are you using to connect to the Internet?
> Are
> you actually using an Ethernet hub, as your wrote, or are you using an
> Ethernet switch?

> For security reasons, you should never connect an AP to an Ethernet
> hub. It
> will cause all your wired traffic to be transmitted by the AP. In your
> case, I think there's another reason not to use a hub. For some reason
> that
> I can't tell from your description, your AP is sending a lot of frames
> the hub. The hub is repeating those frames to all of your computers.
> This
> is slowing down the network performance of all your computers.

> I recommend that you run a sniffer program, like Ethereal, on one of
> the
> computers to see what the AP is sending to the wired LAN.

> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

> "Andrea" <andrea@fastwebnet.it> wrote in message
>> Hi everybody!
>> I've a great problem with my ap.
>> I've 2 pc connected with the cable at the hub and at this hub
>> ther's
>> connected also the ap (with 2 laptop in wireless)
>> If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time
>> of this
> is
>> around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's
>> impossible
> surf
>> the internet.
>> And this in every pc, wireless or not.
>> When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at
>> the
> ping
>> near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
>> How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage
>> all the
>> cabled lan???
>> I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with
>> one
>> old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but
>> nothing...HELP ME
>> PLEASE!!!
>> Thanks
>> Andrea

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.internet.wireless
a b F Wireless
July 1, 2004 7:55:05 PM

When you did a factory reset on the AP, it may have changed the IP address
of the AP (if you had been using an address that was not the default
address). Look in the user manual to find the default IP address. I don't
know what model of AP you have; please post the brand and model number.
Usually APs are configured with a web browser (HTTP), not Telnet.

It's good that you're using the wired interface to configure the router.
It's more secure and it's more reliable. And you should ALWAYS perform
firmware upgrades using the wired connection; the consequences of a failed
firmware upgrade are way too inconvenient.

If you're saying that XP is complaining that the WIRED interface is getting
disconnected, then I think you have two things to check. The first, of
course, is the wiring. The second is follow Mailman's suggestion to use
"ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" on all the computers; there may be
an IP address conflict.

Andrea, please post more information about what equipment you are using and
how they're interconnected.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"AndreaITA" <kisono_at_virgilio_dot_it@foo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >> If I do a ping at one external server (like google.com), the time
> >> of this
> > is
> >> around 2-3000ms...YES, INCREDIBLE, whit the result the it's
> >> impossible
> > surf
> >> the internet.
> >> And this in every pc, wireless or not.
> >> When I unplug the up...everything return normal with the answer at
> >> the
> > ping
> >> near 70-80ms, when I replug the ap...all fall down!
> >> How is possible that one problem in the ap(if ther's), it damage
> >> all the
> >> cabled lan???
> >> I've already update the firmware of the ap with one new and with
> >> one
> >> old...but without consequence, already reset the ap, but
July 1, 2004 9:55:18 PM

> When you did a factory reset on the AP, it may have changed the IP address
> of the AP (if you had been using an address that was not the default
> address).
The ip is correct (i can ping the ap) and i can go to the configuration page
by browser and its ip, but i can find only the upload firmware page and
nothing else.
The ap is: D-LINK 900AP+ (H/W: C1 F/W:3.02) the ip is 192.168.0.50 and the
ip of my pc is 192.168.0.75

> Usually APs are configured with a web browser (HTTP), not Telnet.
I know, but because i'm not able to upload by http, I want to try by telnet
(I don't know if it's possible)

> If you're saying that XP is complaining that the WIRED interface is
getting
> disconnected, then I think you have two things to check. The first, of
> course, is the wiring. The second is follow Mailman's suggestion to use
> "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" on all the computers; there may
be
> an IP address conflict.

The connection with the ap is good (because if it isn't, I can't go to the
firmware upload page)

> Andrea, please post more information about what equipment you are using
and
> how they're interconnected.
Now the ap is connected directly with my pc with a cross cable (I had try
with a normal cable to), and nothing else
Thanks very much

P.s sorry if I post here and not on your answer, but I don't know why
outlook express dont admit me to do it
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 2, 2004 9:59:00 AM

> The ap is: D-LINK 900AP+ (H/W: C1 F/W:3.02) the ip is 192.168.0.50 and the
> ip of my pc is 192.168.0.75
> > Andrea, please post more information about what equipment you are using
> > and how they're interconnected.
> Now the ap is connected directly with my pc with a cross cable (I had try
> with a normal cable to), and nothing else

How are you connected to the Internet? Is the PC running ICS?
July 2, 2004 11:44:35 AM

> How are you connected to the Internet? Is the PC running ICS?

I'm connected with the cable to the hub and to the router, when I've to use
the ap, I unplag internet and I connect the crossed cable.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 2, 2004 7:27:04 PM

> > How are you connected to the Internet? Is the PC running ICS?
>
> I'm connected with the cable to the hub and to the router, when I've to
use
> the ap, I unplag internet and I connect the crossed cable.

So you're not plugging the AP into the hub. When you're not using the
Internet, you unplug your PC from the hub, and you connect the PC's only
Ethernet adapter to the AP via a crossover cable.

When you are not connected to the Internet, how are your devices (PC, AP,
other computers) getting IP address assignments? Where is the DHCP server?
Are you using static addresses?

Either you must manually assign static IP addresses to all your devices, or
you must run a DHCP server to assign IP addresses. The AP will not act as a
DHCP server. The PC could. With a Home version of Windows, ICS could be
your DHCP server, but it requires a second Ethernet adapter.

If you use static addressing when you're not connected to the Internet,
you'll have to use the same LAN subnet number as you use on the router's
LAN. That way the PC's address will be compatible with both LANs.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
July 2, 2004 8:48:46 PM

> So you're not plugging the AP into the hub. When you're not using the
> Internet, you unplug your PC from the hub, and you connect the PC's only
> Ethernet adapter to the AP via a crossover cable.

EXACTLY!

> When you are not connected to the Internet, how are your devices (PC, AP,
> other computers) getting IP address assignments? Where is the DHCP
server?
> Are you using static addresses?
>
> Either you must manually assign static IP addresses to all your devices,
or
> you must run a DHCP server to assign IP addresses. The AP will not act as
> DHCP server. The PC could. With a Home version of Windows, ICS could be
> your DHCP server, but it requires a second Ethernet adapter.

I'm not using the DHCP, the IP are static

> If you use static addressing when you're not connected to the Internet,
> you'll have to use the same LAN subnet number as you use on the router's
> LAN. That way the PC's address will be compatible with both LANs.

The connection with the AP by cable is ok, because i can ping it and i can
go to the upload firmware page(I've already write these in the ather
post)...so why all this question???

> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 3, 2004 8:48:31 AM

> The connection with the AP by cable is ok, because i can ping it and i can
> go to the upload firmware page(I've already write these in the ather
> post)...so why all this question???

I ask these questions to understand your setup. Quite frankly, it's been
like pulling teeth to get you to describe your network. Don't worry; no
more questions.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"It's hard to mean what you say when you don't say what you mean."
!