Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Epic Shows off Unreal Engine 3 Running on iPhone

Last response: in News comments
December 22, 2009 8:01:44 PM

I expected the video to be a demo of what the article was talking about.

It's an AT&T ad?
Score
December 22, 2009 8:01:46 PM

wrong video. They need a video edit button
Score
Related resources
December 22, 2009 8:02:05 PM

Quote:
Epic also said that it will be demonstrating the Unreal Engine on another mobile platform at CES, so stay tuned!

Can i hear an Android? Hopefully? :) 
Score
December 22, 2009 8:02:23 PM

wrong video
Score
December 22, 2009 8:04:58 PM

Ok so my question is why is there a AT&T ad in this article when that has nothing to do with it..
Score
Anonymous
December 22, 2009 8:24:32 PM

For a moment I thought youtube was using ads in their video's...
What a lame article, AT&T sucks anyways!
Score
December 22, 2009 8:32:37 PM

wow....guys....
wrong link....can you plz get the next one right?
Score
December 22, 2009 8:55:36 PM

Well, Soldier37, since you asked so nicely:

I guess the postcards symbolize whatever is left of Luke Wilson's career, as he throws it away...

(though frankly I couldn't care less about AT&T as I don't live in the US)
Score
December 22, 2009 9:00:18 PM

if it will run on the iphone, then it will run on the palm pre. they run on the same hardware under the shiny cases.
Score
December 22, 2009 9:21:12 PM

LOL I have to join many others by saying I can't believe how many video links have been bad lately. ;) 
Score
December 22, 2009 10:07:00 PM

I'd rather see it on Android. Wonder if that is in the future?
Score
December 22, 2009 10:14:48 PM

I imagine the next iphone due out next year will have better hardware and be able to run it pretty smooth.

As for at&t I hope Verizon carries the iphone by then.
Score
December 22, 2009 10:35:16 PM

Controls look similar to the COD Zombies that's out for Iphone.
Score
December 22, 2009 10:56:33 PM

Well, the video was pretty Epic fail
Score
December 22, 2009 10:58:48 PM

I hope the new platform they show the unreal engine on is the psp. If the ipod touch can do then the psp should definitely be able to
Score
December 22, 2009 11:22:46 PM

kyeanaCan i hear an Android? Hopefully?

the droid has the same setup as the iPhone apparently, should be easy to put it on that. if its got a c++ api...

Surely it would take decades to port a whole engine to java? not to mention all the game developers would die a bit inside.

reddozenif it will run on the iphone, then it will run on the palm pre. they run on the same hardware under the shiny cases.

doesn't it use some sort of web api? like java script or something? I'm sure game devs would quit before trying to port to that...
Score
December 22, 2009 11:25:15 PM

FPS on a phone - fail, no interest whatsoever.
Score
December 23, 2009 12:04:57 AM

Anyone surprised? You shouldn't be. I don't know how you can possibly make a post and not even glance at it once to make sure it was done correctly. You don't even have to read it, just look at the video screen cap and you can clearly see that it doesn't jive with what you just wrote.

I mean honestly, this is your job here, do you not care?
Score
December 23, 2009 2:00:45 AM

putting games on a system which shuns a decent control system is sacrilege to gaming. this has just reinforced my boycott on Epic.
Score
December 23, 2009 3:50:23 AM

Doesn't this just prove that the engine was lame to start with and was never fully developed for decent hardware even for the time? I mean come on, a mobile phone is supposed to have the same power as a gaming PC thats a few years old? Even at lower resolutions that doesn't stand up.
The so called death of PC gaming isn't anything to do with piracy, just look at the success of WoW and Steam... No it is developers who produce mediocre releases because they are too busy trying to just cash in rather than concentrate on quality.
Score
December 23, 2009 8:12:59 AM

Video embed code fixed.

Happy hols.
Score
December 23, 2009 11:30:01 AM

Thats crap! You have to use your thumb for both turning and firing at the same time?!! Plus, you can't fire and turn at the same time. wth?!

The split second it takes to move your thumb from turning to the fire button is an eternity if FPS.
Score
December 23, 2009 11:45:24 AM

griffed88I hope the new platform they show the unreal engine on is the psp. If the ipod touch can do then the psp should definitely be able to

Actually this couldn't be done on PSP because PSP doesn't have pixel shaders. Just the same reason Epic said it couldn't be done on the Wii. Plus the PSP is very limited in memory 32MB vs 256MB in the 3GS/3rd Gen Touch.

Score
December 23, 2009 11:47:21 AM

sunflierThats crap! You have to use your thumb for both turning and firing at the same time?!! Plus, you can't fire and turn at the same time. wth?!The split second it takes to move your thumb from turning to the fire button is an eternity if FPS.
Actually see NOVA... you hold your thumb down and can still move it around to aim.
Score
December 23, 2009 11:52:03 AM

They should stick to making phones that are capable of making phone calls instead.
Score
December 23, 2009 11:55:04 AM

iphone/ipod is a crappy platform for FPS gaming. The touchscreen controls or accelometer just don't work. Speaking from experience here.
Score
December 23, 2009 12:11:23 PM

I guess their iphone version of their engine is now going to be licensable soon. :p  Epic=Mo' money Mo' money Mo' money...
Score
December 23, 2009 2:10:57 PM

Without iPhone/iPod, Apple would be junk, so would AT&T, case rested.

Also, my guess here. It will NOT run crysis
Score
December 23, 2009 6:31:35 PM

this is indicative that the video game industry is a fraud. if the iphone is able to run the unreal engine 3, so should the wii. but where is the wii version? what is even worse is that ps3/360 developers kept saying the wii is underpowered. how is the wii underpowered if the unreal engine is being run on an iphone, which is more underpowered then the wii? this just tells you that the video game industry is a fraud. the wii was never the problem, it was the developers.
Score
December 23, 2009 8:04:20 PM

darkknight22I mean honestly, this is your job here, do you not care?

Wow.

You know how everyone, at some stage in their working life, has had a boss that overreacts to small, human mistakes? I've come to ignore friends who complain about that guy in their office because in this office, we have several million of them standing over us 24 hours a day.

Mistakes happen. They shouldn't, but they do. People make mistakes. This one has been rectified since. In fact, one of the other readers was kind enough to post the link before we noticed there was a mistake. Let's just take a deep breath and enjoy the holidays. :) 
Score
December 23, 2009 10:29:33 PM

schizofrogDoesn't this just prove that the engine was lame to start with and was never fully developed for decent hardware even for the time? I mean come on, a mobile phone is supposed to have the same power as a gaming PC thats a few years old? Even at lower resolutions that doesn't stand up.The so called death of PC gaming isn't anything to do with piracy, just look at the success of WoW and Steam... No it is developers who produce mediocre releases because they are too busy trying to just cash in rather than concentrate on quality.

I agree with what you are saying. but it's not the engine's fault, it is the underlying hardware's fault. or maybe it's awesomeness!! fact of the matter is that the Iphone3GS architecture is pretty much the same as the xbox360!! the good news is I don't think this is soo much because there hasn't been enough improvement in hardware lately, but because the current hardware architecture is now so customizable that it doesn't need to change all the time. I'm talking about shaders! even the source engine continues to live, with quite big improvements between HL2 and HL2 ep 2 without needing a new engine. before shaders, hardware was changed dramatically to add new functionality because there was no customize ability through software.

I'm talking of course about technology here, the thing that dictates whether an engine is compatible with hardware or not.

of corse there is a massive power difference between the 3GS and the 360, just like current PC Gfx cards are around 10 to 20 times more powerful than the ones in the 360 and ps3. but catering to different power levels is as easy as toning down res, texture res, model detail, and shader detail, it doesn't require you to change engines.

the fact that the unreal engine scales so dramatically is a good thing, and a testament to its great design, and the customizability of the programmable pipeline architecture.

However, as I said before, I do agree that game makers aren't trying enough to push the boundaries anymore, this let up in innovation to some extent is also what has allowed the current architectures and engines to mature so nicely, because everyone has been focusing on making games as easy as possible to make, not focusing on making them more awesome for us!

and while this is good for the industry, for us it simply means that instead of a few awesome games that are constantly pushing the boundaries, we get lots of mediocre crap that is just a rehash of a game that came out a few months ago.

as good as shaders and stuff are, they would not have been able to mature so cleanly if they were still pushing the boundaries so harshly as they were up to hl2.
Score
December 23, 2009 10:35:04 PM

pochacco007this is indicative that the video game industry is a fraud. if the iphone is able to run the unreal engine 3, so should the wii. but where is the wii version? what is even worse is that ps3/360 developers kept saying the wii is underpowered. how is the wii underpowered if the unreal engine is being run on an iphone, which is more underpowered then the wii? this just tells you that the video game industry is a fraud. the wii was never the problem, it was the developers.

see above, technology wise, the 3GS is more advanced than the wii. the reason it isn't on the wii is because the wii is A PIECE OF SHIT! I would dare say that the GPU in the 3GS is actually more POWERFUL than the one in the wii as well! also the wii isn't kind the 3rd party developers.

I would understand if the tech in the wii differed from the shader system because it was taking everything in a radical different direction of tech, but it isn't its just because its SHIT, old, outdated piece of crap. just like the DS that doesn't even have a floating point unit.
Score
December 24, 2009 7:18:50 AM

I'm recycling a post I made on another talkback subject tonight:

"And for those who haven't gotten the memo yet, dissing the Wii is no longer a requirement for getting your "hardcore gamerz fanboi" card renewed."
Score
December 24, 2009 4:46:20 PM

highly scalable engine. nice job epic. :-p
Score
December 24, 2009 8:47:00 PM

matt87_50see above, technology wise, the 3GS is more advanced than the wii. the reason it isn't on the wii is because the wii is A PIECE OF SHIT! I would dare say that the GPU in the 3GS is actually more POWERFUL than the one in the wii as well! also the wii isn't kind the 3rd party developers.I would understand if the tech in the wii differed from the shader system because it was taking everything in a radical different direction of tech, but it isn't its just because its SHIT, old, outdated piece of crap. just like the DS that doesn't even have a floating point unit.

you are correct. here let me prove you are correct from what you've written,

"...fact of the matter is that the Iphone3GS architecture is pretty much the same as the xbox360!!... "
Score
Anonymous
December 26, 2009 7:24:32 AM

I'm boycotting AnandTech, because DailyTech sold out to the corporate disinformation machine and has become a platform for corporate shills like climate change denier Michael Asher.

Don't read AnandTech/DailyTech. Let them know, and tell your friends to do the same.

Tom's Hardware should not be linking to these guys.
Score
December 28, 2009 4:21:21 AM

matt87_50doesn't it [the Palm Pre] use some sort of web api? like java script or something? I'm sure game devs would quit before trying to port to that...
It does. But, the graphics API hasn't been written or implemented yet in the Palm Pre. In fact the graphics chip lays dormant in every Pre. It's expected to be used "shortly" since Palm hired some graphics programmers a few months ago. How awesome would it be to have the Unreal Engine as the basis for your graphics API? Palm supposedly has something juicy for CES this year and this combo would be a breaker. I think it being released/demo'd on a Droid is more likely though.
Score
!