Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

FYI I am playing C3C RAR. Please identify your game(s) when you
answer.

How do you compose and use armies?

I have generally been making up armies with only one unit type in each
one. Usually I include the fastest strongest attackers such as
horsemen, knights and tanks. However, I accidentally loaded an
infantry into an army of knights the other day. I think my army
capacity grew after it was already loaded, or I may have accidentally
sent out an underfilled army. Any way, that army did survive much
longer on the defense.

What are your ideas and comments?

Buck
--
For what it's worth.

Buck <Buck@your.guess> wrote in

> FYI I am playing C3C RAR. Please identify your game(s) when you
> answer.
>
> How do you compose and use armies?
>
> I have generally been making up armies with only one unit type in
> each one. Usually I include the fastest strongest attackers such
> as horsemen, knights and tanks. However, I accidentally loaded an
> infantry into an army of knights the other day. I think my army
> capacity grew after it was already loaded, or I may have
> accidentally sent out an underfilled army. Any way, that army did
> survive much longer on the defense.
>
> What are your ideas and comments?

IMO armies should always be filled with similar units. Speed is the
most important attribute to keep the same between all units within an
army because the army speed is based off the slowest unit. Your
knight/infantry army would have lost a movement point.
Mixing attack/defense units (with the same speed) is really a
personal choice. With all attack units, your army will be more
powerful on the attack. Throwing in a defensive unit, however, can
really help save hit points when defending. The problem is that if
your army does get low in hp, then your defender may be forced to take
it's turn attacking an opponent.
FWIW I often use armies with only a single unit in them.

--
ICQ: 8105495
AIM: KeeperGFA

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:01:06 -0500, Buck <Buck@your.guess> wrote:

>FYI I am playing C3C RAR. Please identify your game(s) when you
>answer.
>
>How do you compose and use armies?
>
>I have generally been making up armies with only one unit type in each
>one. Usually I include the fastest strongest attackers such as
>horsemen, knights and tanks. However, I accidentally loaded an
>infantry into an army of knights the other day. I think my army
>capacity grew after it was already loaded, or I may have accidentally
>sent out an underfilled army. Any way, that army did survive much
>longer on the defense.
>
>What are your ideas and comments?

There are lots of ways to do this, but I usually use only one type
of unit per army. When I get the Pentagon and can increase the army
size, I might add one more unit, at least as fast as those already in,
if it is clearly better -- but that requires that the army be rather
old in order to benefit from such upgrades.

Mixing slower units in an army slows it down. Slower speed means
fewer attacks, and that really hurts. Your knight army was move 3,
changes to 2 with the infantry. In effect, you lost one-third of your
attack potential.

OTOH, high defense units with relatively weak attack can be good in
an army in two ways. Take infantry. Ordinarily, they are slower than
Cavalry and so not so hot for attack, but they are nice on defense.
In an army, with move 2 they still aren't as good on attack, but they
aren't bad either. Their defense with all those hit points makes them
*really* good for defending key stacks.

Amphibious attack units shouldn't be mixed with others, because that
costs the entire army that ability (in Conquests). Otherwise, I think
that movement rate is the main thing to keep matched.

For example, tanks and mechanized infantry both move 2, so adding a
mech-inf to a tank army won't hurt it. And if you have move-1 units
with high attack and defense (swordsmen in ancient era), they are
quite nice when converted to an army.

Still, I tend to use armies primarily as attackers, which means that
they should have the best attack units in them for the era. Speed
matters a lot. A 4-cavalry move 4 army can do a real good job of
smashing an enemy in that era, and modern armor is even better.

If you *do* want increased defense, I think that you're better off
having a defense unit, or even a defensive army (all units with higher
defense than offense), rather than mixing slow and fast units within
an army.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:01:06 -0500, Buck <Buck@your.guess> wrote:

>FYI I am playing C3C RAR. Please identify your game(s) when you
>answer.
>
>How do you compose and use armies?
>
>I have generally been making up armies with only one unit type in each
>one. Usually I include the fastest strongest attackers such as
>horsemen, knights and tanks. However, I accidentally loaded an
>infantry into an army of knights the other day. I think my army
>capacity grew after it was already loaded, or I may have accidentally
>sent out an underfilled army. Any way, that army did survive much
>longer on the defense.
>
>What are your ideas and comments?
>

>Buck

I always use the strongest and fastest units of the era. I wait until
I am at war to add units to ensure I get the best ones. Even a weak
defense unit like a Calvary won't likely lose until the hit points
drop way down. If your health bar is on full the AI will rarely
attack so all defense units doesn't make any sense.

A small wonder like the pentagon allows armies to grow later in the
game. I don't recall what RAR does to expand armies. The army does
not have to be in a city to add additional units so you might have hit
load by accident.

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:14:26 -0500 P12 <nowhere@all.com> wrote in message
<j4t2q0p9tm6sd8ctvtjskktf8i3kplvig0@4ax.com>...

> ...If your health bar is on full the AI will rarely
> attack so all defense units doesn't make any sense.

They will bomb, though, and if the health bar is low, then they will attack.

Pre conquests, I really liked defensive armies. Offensive armies were less
appealing because they could only attack once in a turn, however many units
they had.

--
Daran

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On 21 Nov 2004 16:38:20 GMT Kevin 'Keeper' Foster <thekeeper@canada.com>
wrote in message <Xns95A8767129B47kdfosterrogerscom@130.133.1.4>...

> FWIW I often use armies with only a single unit in them.

I'd never take the risk of losing 400 shields worth of army with just a
single unit in action.

--

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:01:06 -0500 Buck <Buck@your.guess> wrote in message
<i0b1q0hn2fd7nr6bt0ve360br9p8s609e6@4ax.com>...

> FYI I am playing C3C RAR. Please identify your game(s) when you answer.

C3C 1.22

> How do you compose and use armies?
>
> I have generally been making up armies with only one unit type in each
> one. Usually I include the fastest strongest attackers such as horsemen,
> knights and tanks...

I particularly like cavalry armies. Because of their range, cavalry are not
really obsolete until modern armor becomes available, but they're weak in
attack in the modern era, and can't be upgraded. Armies give them a new
lease of life - effectively turning four of them in the an ultra-fast tank.

--

Daran <daranSPAMg@lineone.net> wrote in

> On 21 Nov 2004 16:38:20 GMT Kevin 'Keeper' Foster
> <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
> <Xns95A8767129B47kdfosterrogerscom@130.133.1.4>...
>
>> FWIW I often use armies with only a single unit in them.
>
> I'd never take the risk of losing 400 shields worth of army with
> just a single unit in action.

With military great leaders no longer able to rush wonders, the loss
of an army isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

--

> Daran <daranSPAMg@lineone.net> wrote in
>
>> On 21 Nov 2004 16:38:20 GMT Kevin 'Keeper' Foster
>> <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message
>> <Xns95A8767129B47kdfosterrogerscom@130.133.1.4>...
>>
>>> FWIW I often use armies with only a single unit in them.
>>
>> I'd never take the risk of losing 400 shields worth of army with
>> just a single unit in action.
>
> With military great leaders no longer able to rush wonders, the loss
> of an army isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

Since the AI never builds armies, using them at all is almost cheating.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:31:32 +0000, Daran <daranSPAMg@lineone.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:14:26 -0500 P12 <nowhere@all.com> wrote in message
><j4t2q0p9tm6sd8ctvtjskktf8i3kplvig0@4ax.com>...
>
>> ...If your health bar is on full the AI will rarely
>> attack so all defense units doesn't make any sense.
>
>They will bomb, though, and if the health bar is low, then they will attack.
>
>Pre conquests, I really liked defensive armies. Offensive armies were less
>appealing because they could only attack once in a turn, however many units
>they had.

I thought they could attack in one turn but maybe I am thinking of
Modern Armor. If the unit already had the ability it would retain it.

Attack armies work well against very large cities. When I go through
several units just to knock a couple of hit points off the defender it
is time to bring in the armies. They can save a lot of regular units
agains't a strong city. I rest them up and use em again on another
city.