Which - Windows or MSN?

Which is preferable, Windows Messenger 5.0 or MSN Messenger 6.2?

What are the relative benefits/differences?

I do not seem able to easily find a 'comparison table' to help deme decide
for myself.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about which windows

    If you do a search in Google by typing 'difference between Windows Messenger
    and MSN Messenger', it comes up with a few links, this being one of them..

    http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_difference_between_msn_messenger_windows_messenger_and_windows_messenger.html

    Search engines are really good, and you can get answers immediately.. try it
    sometime..

    "DG" <dg@vertnogo.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Which is preferable, Windows Messenger 5.0 or MSN Messenger 6.2?
    >
    > What are the relative benefits/differences?
    >
    > I do not seem able to easily find a 'comparison table' to help deme decide
    > for myself.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Greetings DG,

    Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
    different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
    services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the
    most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messegner service) and a matter of
    personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed
    on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
    Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

    MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "DG" <dg@vertnogo.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Which is preferable, Windows Messenger 5.0 or MSN Messenger 6.2?
    >
    > What are the relative benefits/differences?
    >
    > I do not seem able to easily find a 'comparison table' to help deme decide for myself.
    >
    > Thanks.

    In my experience, MSN messenger 6.2 is better than
    Windows Messenger. The Lag and randomly offline people
    situations occur in both versions. The only benefit i
    know of that Windows Messenger has over 6.2 is that it
    comes with all Windows XP systems, and that it is much
    simpler, if you dont appreciate display pictures,
    profiles, emoticons, and much more. I have two different
    msn accounts (one for people i know in person, one for
    people i know online), so it helps to have both running
    at once.

MSN Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP