MSN Messenger locks up when it starts

October 10, 2004 8:08:13 AM

Problem: MSNM locks up.
I have been working on getting the Video Conference working for about a
week. I can use the Webcam part but it will not connect on audio. After
some studying on here I was able to connect to a buddy within the state
THANKS to many of your suggestions in this newsgroup, but now MSN M locks
up. It show the system is busy, and you can not do anything with MSN M but
the my computer works fine, and within a few minutes I get the MSN M not
responding message. I completed reformatted my system and reinstalled WXP
Pro and SP2 but MSN M still locks up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Background System Information
Linksys Wireless Router BEFW11S4 with UPnP enabled
XP Pro with SP2 (Complete format and reinstalled today)
MSN Messenger 6.2 (MSNM).
Logitech cam
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
384 MB Ram
Cable Modem 3 MB DL
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 8:30:41 PM

Greetings Thom,

Have you tried unplugging (the power) from the router and then plugging it back in?
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Thom" <spicer@memoryln.com> wrote in message news:eyzYtiqrEHA.332@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Problem: MSNM locks up.
> I have been working on getting the Video Conference working for about a week. I can use
> the Webcam part but it will not connect on audio. After some studying on here I was able
> to connect to a buddy within the state THANKS to many of your suggestions in this
> newsgroup, but now MSN M locks up. It show the system is busy, and you can not do anything
> with MSN M but the my computer works fine, and within a few minutes I get the MSN M not
> responding message. I completed reformatted my system and reinstalled WXP Pro and SP2 but
> MSN M still locks up. Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Background System Information
> Linksys Wireless Router BEFW11S4 with UPnP enabled
> XP Pro with SP2 (Complete format and reinstalled today)
> MSN Messenger 6.2 (MSNM).
> Logitech cam
> AMD Athlon XP 2400+
> 384 MB Ram
> Cable Modem 3 MB DL

October 10, 2004 10:04:13 PM

I ended up uninstalling SP2 and it has been working better. It still has a
lag, I have also noticed since I enable the UPnP OE and MSN M have some lag.
What exactly does the UPnP do?
Thanks for the reply tho Jonathan

Thom

!