MSN Messenger locks up when it starts

Problem: MSNM locks up.
I have been working on getting the Video Conference working for about a
week. I can use the Webcam part but it will not connect on audio. After
some studying on here I was able to connect to a buddy within the state
THANKS to many of your suggestions in this newsgroup, but now MSN M locks
up. It show the system is busy, and you can not do anything with MSN M but
the my computer works fine, and within a few minutes I get the MSN M not
responding message. I completed reformatted my system and reinstalled WXP
Pro and SP2 but MSN M still locks up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Background System Information
Linksys Wireless Router BEFW11S4 with UPnP enabled
XP Pro with SP2 (Complete format and reinstalled today)
MSN Messenger 6.2 (MSNM).
Logitech cam
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
384 MB Ram
Cable Modem 3 MB DL
2 answers Last reply
More about messenger locks starts

    Greetings Thom,

    Have you tried unplugging (the power) from the router and then plugging it back in?
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Thom" <spicer@memoryln.com> wrote in message news:eyzYtiqrEHA.332@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Problem: MSNM locks up.
    > I have been working on getting the Video Conference working for about a week. I can use
    > the Webcam part but it will not connect on audio. After some studying on here I was able
    > to connect to a buddy within the state THANKS to many of your suggestions in this
    > newsgroup, but now MSN M locks up. It show the system is busy, and you can not do anything
    > with MSN M but the my computer works fine, and within a few minutes I get the MSN M not
    > responding message. I completed reformatted my system and reinstalled WXP Pro and SP2 but
    > MSN M still locks up. Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Background System Information
    > Linksys Wireless Router BEFW11S4 with UPnP enabled
    > XP Pro with SP2 (Complete format and reinstalled today)
    > MSN Messenger 6.2 (MSNM).
    > Logitech cam
    > AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    > 384 MB Ram
    > Cable Modem 3 MB DL

    I ended up uninstalling SP2 and it has been working better. It still has a
    lag, I have also noticed since I enable the UPnP OE and MSN M have some lag.
    What exactly does the UPnP do?
    Thanks for the reply tho Jonathan

    Thom
    > Greetings Thom,
    >
    > Have you tried unplugging (the power) from the router and then plugging it
    back in?
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Thom" <spicer@memoryln.com> wrote in message
    > > Problem: MSNM locks up.
    > > I have been working on getting the Video Conference working for about a
    week. I can use
    > > the Webcam part but it will not connect on audio. After some studying
    on here I was able
    > > to connect to a buddy within the state THANKS to many of your
    suggestions in this
    > > newsgroup, but now MSN M locks up. It show the system is busy, and you
    can not do anything
    > > with MSN M but the my computer works fine, and within a few minutes I
    get the MSN M not
    > > responding message. I completed reformatted my system and reinstalled
    WXP Pro and SP2 but
    > > MSN M still locks up. Any advice would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Background System Information
    > > Linksys Wireless Router BEFW11S4 with UPnP enabled
    > > XP Pro with SP2 (Complete format and reinstalled today)
    > > MSN Messenger 6.2 (MSNM).
    > > Logitech cam
    > > AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    > > 384 MB Ram