Maps and Difficulty Levels

Anyone know if maps get more difficult as difficulty level increases.

I've just started playing at emperor after finding monarch too easy, and in
my 2 starts in vanilla I've found the maps virtually impossible.

I gave up the first effort which had a starting location on a 10/11 square
landmass connected by a landbridge to a larger landmass occupied by a civ
with its capital near the landbridge. Of course, I attacked straight away
but badly and I couldn't get more than 3 towns and one more on a remote
island. Held my own, got the Great Library thanks to a leader but decided
there was little point in carrying on.

The second effort was a continents map (I always choose random) with me and
another civ on a medium-sized island. Had wine but had to scrap for horses
and then amphibiously for iron. Saltpeter is owned by another larger civ on
a nearby island (yes, it is a continents map) who also has desert and
tundra (for oil later on). Nearing the end of the middle ages, I don't
relish attacking him with knights against cavalry, and trade is going to be
difficult with only wine and perhaps coal and rubber.

--
Joe Soap

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:33:14 GMT, Joe Soap <jsoap@toilet.com> wrote:

>Anyone know if maps get more difficult as difficulty level increases.

AFAIK, the maps don't change. It is just the AI operations which
change. Bad starts are just a matter of luck, as are good, and can
happen on any level.

The trading issues, however, are affected by level. The AI can
expand better at higher levels due to having more starting units and
higher production. Plus the AI favors the other AIs more at higher
levels, both in trade and other diplomacy.