Hi,

Can someone help me. I do not want messenger to start when I start explorer
or outlook. I looked though all the menus but I can not seem to find an off
switch.

Thanks, Bob

Greetings,

If you mean Internet Explorer, Messenger only starts if you go Hotmail. As for Outlook, for
Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu in Outlook, then choose Options, choose the Other tab,
uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and click OK.

For Outlook 2002/XP, open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the Other tab,
and uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.

For Outlook Express, close Outlook Express, then download and run this .reg file:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"anotherbob" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can someone help me. I do not want messenger to start when I start explorer or outlook. I
> looked though all the menus but I can not seem to find an off switch.
>
> Thanks, Bob

Actually MSN Messenger seems to to do whatever it wants, whenever it wants.

I had the same problem with MSN; it would intermittantly not allow Internet
Explorer to connect until I first started MSN. I finally had to reformat and
reload to get the programs to behave. Sounds drastic Bob but consider 1 day
to reload everything, vs. weeks and weeks of trying to find just the right
combination of settings...Settings which probably don't even exist on a user
level menu.

John Andrews
just another user

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> If you mean Internet Explorer, Messenger only starts if you go Hotmail. As for Outlook, for
> Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu in Outlook, then choose Options, choose the Other tab,
> uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and click OK.
>
> For Outlook 2002/XP, open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the Other tab,
> and uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.
>
> For Outlook Express, close Outlook Express, then download and run this .reg file:
> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "anotherbob" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can someone help me. I do not want messenger to start when I start explorer or outlook. I
> > looked though all the menus but I can not seem to find an off switch.
> >
> > Thanks, Bob

My problem is that since I installed SP2 Messenger starts up when I run
Windows Media Player 9.0 and I can't 'exit' it even if I close everything
else (OE, IE, WMP). Its very frustrating because it keeps popping up to aks
me to log in. It is very very frustrating when it does it during video
capture as it causes dropped frames.

Please, how do I stop it?

casey