Is my graphic card getting enough Voltage?

KCjoker

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
I just got a PNY G4 Ti 4200 8X AGF card but my mobo only supports up to 4x. Anyway I have this little prog that installed with this mobo called smartguardian and it shows the AGP is getting 1.77V. Is that enough because all the other things listed are shown in white but AGP Volt is shown in red. I have a Enermax 350 watt power supply.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Some via chipsets have a bios setting called "AGP Driving Value" that you may need to set manually if you have a high wattage card. A setting of EA worked for me with my Ti4200.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">Here is a link about it</A>

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy. </i>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Check that diagnostic program's settings. See if you need to select a chipset because that voltage reading you are getting 1.77 volt, is just plain weird.

AGP 2X uses a signaling voltage of 3.3 volts
AGP 4X uses 1.5 volt
AGP 8X uses 0.8 volt.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

KCjoker

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Ok, I went into my bios and first chaned the AGP setting from auto to manual so I could change the AGP driving value to EA. I restarted the computer and went into that prog and it still shows a voltage of 1.77 in red. Is there any way to snapshot my desktop to show you what the prog is showing and the options it has? I guess I should mention that I had the same card before only it was 4x and it always showed the same voltage and that card went dead. I had to send it back to PNY and they replaced it with this one, surprised they gave me a 8x in return. Anyway now I'm worried that volt problem is what ruined the other card and will ruin this one.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Does your BIOS have a AGP voltage option? If so at what voltage is it set? and how does this compare to the 1.77 volt your program is reading?

KCjoker

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Well it just has an Auto or manual setting in one spot. In another spot in the bios it shows the AGP default setting is 1.5 and to the right of that it shows the AGP is at 1.47v. But when I load into XP and I look at that prog it shows the 1.77v reading. Weird.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What I'm try to get at is I think that even though the program has labeled it as AGP voltage I think that it is actually taking a reading from the wrong sensor, like the CPU core voltage sensor.

Your BIOS seems to be confirming my idea. Voltage default at 1.5 but the actual reading is 1.47. 1.77 volt just sounds too far off.