How do you Turn off the Governor

I probably should have asked this ages ago. Normally I use the
governor to handle all my cities. There are some times when the
governor just contributes to an already existing problem. For
instance working all food squares in an already unhappy city.

It seems whenever I adjust a city it will always switches back on the
next turn. That makes it a pain to starve down a size 20 city who is
all pissed off because I attacked their homeland. Is there any way to
force a city not to switch back to 6 flood plains?

P12 <nowhere@all.com> wrote in

> I probably should have asked this ages ago. Normally I use the
> governor to handle all my cities. There are some times when the
> governor just contributes to an already existing problem. For
> instance working all food squares in an already unhappy city.
>
> It seems whenever I adjust a city it will always switches back on
> the next turn. That makes it a pain to starve down a size 20 city
> who is all pissed off because I attacked their homeland. Is there
> any way to force a city not to switch back to 6 flood plains?

IIRC whenever a starving city loses population, the remaining
citizens will rearrange themselves. So even without the governor, you
will have to keep a constant eye on the "problem" to maintain it.

--
ICQ: 8105495
AIM: KeeperGFA

"Kevin 'Keeper' Foster" <thekeeper@canada.com> wrote in message news:<Xns95B19DFED4B3Ekdfosterrogerscom@130.133.1.4>...
> P12 <nowhere@all.com> wrote in
>

> > I probably should have asked this ages ago. Normally I use the
> > governor to handle all my cities. There are some times when the
> > governor just contributes to an already existing problem. For
> > instance working all food squares in an already unhappy city.
> >
> > It seems whenever I adjust a city it will always switches back on
> > the next turn. That makes it a pain to starve down a size 20 city
> > who is all pissed off because I attacked their homeland. Is there
> > any way to force a city not to switch back to 6 flood plains?
>
> IIRC whenever a starving city loses population, the remaining
> citizens will rearrange themselves. So even without the governor, you
> will have to keep a constant eye on the "problem" to maintain it.

Also, on the first city expansion, the cities citizens will rearrange
themselves.

Limited rearangments occur if a worked tile is struck by pollution or
else an enemy combat unit appears on a worked tile.

And the game decides where a new citizen is initally going to work / a
resisting citizen coming out of resistance initally works.

You'll generally get better results with using internally balanced
food / shield rather than some tiles being food specalists and others
being shield specalists. [In addition, during a GA / under
mobilization you'll have higher total shield output under the
internally balanced food / shield than having certain tiles with no
shields and others with no food.]

daran

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

On 1 Dec 2004 08:56:48 -0800 Jon Nunn <joncnunn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<268a23d4.0412010856.2eced980@posting.google.com>...

> And the game decides where a new citizen is initally going to work / a
> resisting citizen coming out of resistance initally works.

Yes, and this is a pain in the arse, since it often causes the city to fall
into disorder.

I usually put resisting cities under the govnernor until the resistance is
quelled.

> You'll generally get better results with using internally balanced food /
> shield rather than some tiles being food specalists and others being
> shield specalists...

One exception to this, as I've noted elsewhere, is that its better to work
an irrigated grassland plus a mined hill, than it is to work two mined
grasslands.

> [In addition, during a GA / under mobilization you'll have higher total
> shield output under the internally balanced food / shield than having
> certain tiles with no shields and others with no food.]

Another advantange of balancing production across different terrain types is
that the effect of a random pollution strike is more predictable, and can be
allowed for when micromanaging production.

--
Daran

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary. -- James D. Nicoll