Pedrof

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Hi,

I just bought a Geforce 4 MX440 with 64Megs RAM, but when I install it and power up the machine, nothing is displayed but I can hear the computer loading up.

I have a PIII 1Ghz on a Jetway 618 motherboard, which uses the Intel 815 chipset as the standard graphics adaptor. Its an AGP card in an AGP 2.0 slot so I cant see the problem being there. The monitor isnt new but I doubt its old enough to be a problem with the card. I also have an old Voodoo2 in the machine, but taking that out or uninstalling the drivers seems to make no difference.

Is there any way to switch from using the Intel adaptor to the card from within windows? I read that there might be an option in my BIOS to switch from PCI (or in this case the motherboard) to the AGO slot. Problem is theres a password on my BIOS and I dont know it, hell im pretty sure I didnt even set it. I blame the guys who made the pc. Ive also read that theres problems transferring over from the old voodoo card to newer ones, but the voodoo 2 was only an accelerator it never did 2D. Im reluctant to erase my hard drive as theres a lot of important stuff on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
David

ferrari

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2002
unfortunately i don't know much about your mobo or bios. but one thing i will say. for those mobos that have a built in gfx chip, it has to be disabled for the new card in the agp slot to work properly. some turn the built in chip off automatically when you put in the card, others don't. until you find a way to disable the on board gfx, the new card might not work properly.

it's unfortunate you have that password problem thing. the only other suggestion i have is totally reset your bios by disconnecting every power supply to it. Including the battery on the mobo. Make sure you remember all your other settings.

KraftyMcVay

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
I had around the same problem with my p3 1ghz. My problem came from weird cut out problems though, like right in the middle of a game it would go black and i would have to restart. Also my best bet for your bios password would be to take the cmos battery out for 30 seconds or so and then put it back in, that should get rid of the password(key word should). I also had NVmax running as an overclocker for my card, i got rid of it and it started working fine. As for the GeF4 MX i can only say upgrade the drivers to the current ones that are on nvidia's site and try to disable the onboard grfx like mentioned above.

-krafty

The Pentium 5! Same bang, for more of your buck!