MSN Add in for windows messenger gone on updare to SP2

Updated my Windows XP Home Edition SP1 to SP2 today. Now
I can't use messenger to accesss my Hotmail account nor
does it monitor the Hotmail account. After sereral
seaches I found a Windows Messenger 5.0 down load and
installed it. That wasn't the fix. But now I find that
the MSN messenger Add-in is no longer availabe I will
have to use MSN Messenger. OK by me. But should I keep
the 5.0 version of Window Messenger or try and find the
older version and install it. Hey Microsoft. How about
changing the name of one or the other of the messenger
services so morons like me can keep them straigt I
confuse easily. Just a average consumer that is begining
to get very frustrated.......

Greetings Jack,

Actually, the SP2 version of Windows Messenger doesn't support Add-Ins (nor does version 5),
so this feature is now gone.

To quickly fix this, simply downgrade back to the previous version from here:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b475d2d1-6266-4d82-bf78-14597545a6b4

You'll also need the MSN Add-In:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=738f90c1-755e-433a-bcd3-0f9d0a705f55
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Jack Ross" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Updated my Windows XP Home Edition SP1 to SP2 today. Now
> I can't use messenger to accesss my Hotmail account nor
> does it monitor the Hotmail account. After sereral
> seaches I found a Windows Messenger 5.0 down load and
> installed it. That wasn't the fix. But now I find that
> the MSN messenger Add-in is no longer availabe I will
> have to use MSN Messenger. OK by me. But should I keep
> the 5.0 version of Window Messenger or try and find the
> older version and install it. Hey Microsoft. How about
> changing the name of one or the other of the messenger
> services so morons like me can keep them straigt I
> confuse easily. Just a average consumer that is begining
> to get very frustrated.......

Hello Jonathan

Thanks for the information. I downloaded and installed
the applications you advised to use. Now I get a response
that my accout or password is incorrect or the
Communcations service failed. I'm confused. Can you
advise me of how to set up the Windows Messenger so that
it will automaically check my hotmail account for emails
and allow me to communicate with my two friends. Just a
simple dial up account though a local isp. Maybe I don't
understand what .net passport and Communications Services
are. I thought I had .net passport.. Confused as Always.
Jack

Jonathan Kay.

>"Jack Ross" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
>> Updated my Windows XP Home Edition SP1 to SP2 today.
Now
>> I can't use messenger to accesss my Hotmail account nor
>> does it monitor the Hotmail account. After sereral
>> seaches I found a Windows Messenger 5.0 down load and
>> installed it. That wasn't the fix. But now I find that
>> the MSN messenger Add-in is no longer availabe I will
>> have to use MSN Messenger. OK by me. But should I keep
>> the 5.0 version of Window Messenger or try and find the
>> older version and install it. Hey Microsoft. How about
>> changing the name of one or the other of the messenger
>> services so morons like me can keep them straigt I
>> confuse easily. Just a average consumer that is
begining
>> to get very frustrated.......
>

>.

Greetings Jack,

To fix this, open the main Messenger window, click the Tools menu in Messenger, then select
Options. Click the Accounts tab and then click the option button '.NET Passport' under 'Sign
in with this account first:'. Then, uncheck the box 'My contacts include users of a
communications service', click OK and then try and sign on again
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Hello Jonathan
>
> Thanks for the information. I downloaded and installed
> the applications you advised to use. Now I get a response
> that my accout or password is incorrect or the
> Communcations service failed. I'm confused. Can you
> advise me of how to set up the Windows Messenger so that
> it will automaically check my hotmail account for emails
> and allow me to communicate with my two friends. Just a
> simple dial up account though a local isp. Maybe I don't
> understand what .net passport and Communications Services
> are. I thought I had .net passport.. Confused as Always.
> Jack

Accomplish the account set up but still having problems.
(I see by the messages I am not alone). I now get the
message about signing in to NET.Messenger failed because
the password is inncorreect or the sing-in name does not
exist, ect. I did go to the passport site and sign in
there just to check. Password and Sign-in must be ok...?
Thanks for your help. I see the mob becoming angry. If I
were you I'd run....

Hi Jack,

Actually the service is having some issues right now (see
http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx), so you may have to wait a bit before actually being
able to get on.

> Accomplish the account set up but still having problems.
> (I see by the messages I am not alone). I now get the
> message about signing in to NET.Messenger failed because
> the password is inncorreect or the sing-in name does not
> exist, ect. I did go to the passport site and sign in
> there just to check. Password and Sign-in must be ok...?
> Thanks for your help. I see the mob becoming angry. If I
> were you I'd run....

Jonathan,

Although the status of Window Messenger shows to be a-ok, I can't sign in. I
still get the message "Signing in to .Net Messenger Service failed because
the password is incorrect or the sign-in name does not exist....." I can
sign into passport at its site and Hotmail at its site.. Any Suggestion, or
is there still trouble and message stating all is well incorrect.....

Jack

> Hi Jack,
>
> Actually the service is having some issues right now (see
> http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx), so you may have to wait a bit
> before actually being able to get on.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Jack Ross" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Accomplish the account set up but still having problems.
>> (I see by the messages I am not alone). I now get the
>> message about signing in to NET.Messenger failed because
>> the password is inncorreect or the sing-in name does not
>> exist, ect. I did go to the passport site and sign in
>> there just to check. Password and Sign-in must be ok...?
>> Thanks for your help. I see the mob becoming angry. If I
>> were you I'd run....

Still getting the message "Signing in to .Net Messenger Service failed
because
the password is incorrect or the sign-in name does not exist....." when I
try to sign in. Checking status of .Net Service shows it is "All systems are
stable and running." Any suggestions?

Jack

"Jack Ross" <uncajack_delete-this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jonathan,
>
> Although the status of Window Messenger shows to be a-ok, I can't sign in.
> I still get the message "Signing in to .Net Messenger Service failed
> because the password is incorrect or the sign-in name does not exist....."
> I can sign into passport at its site and Hotmail at its site.. Any
> Suggestion, or is there still trouble and message stating all is well
> incorrect.....
>
> Jack
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Jack,
>>
>> Actually the service is having some issues right now (see
>> http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx), so you may have to wait a bit
>> before actually being able to get on.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Jack Ross" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Accomplish the account set up but still having problems.
>>> (I see by the messages I am not alone). I now get the
>>> message about signing in to NET.Messenger failed because
>>> the password is inncorreect or the sing-in name does not
>>> exist, ect. I did go to the passport site and sign in
>>> there just to check. Password and Sign-in must be ok...?
>>> Thanks for your help. I see the mob becoming angry. If I
>>> were you I'd run....

Hi Jack,

Here are some suggestions you should check/try if you haven't already:

1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the clock verify that
the time and date are set.
2. If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing it in with the
correct case (uppercase or lowercase).
3. Change your password @ http://memberservicesnet.passport.com/memberservice.srf to
something smaller (under 10-12 characters), then try signing in again.
4. If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc. ), it's possible
that Messenger doesn't have the correct rights to access the Internet, especially since you
upgraded. You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed list of programs in your firewall
if this is the case.
5. If you disabled your firewall in the past, it still may be blocking Messenger -- try
restarting it and see if that helps the situation. You also might try uninstalling an
installed firewall, to verify that it isn't causing a problem (even if it is disabled).
6. Clear your IE cache and cookies -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then click the Delete Files button, and when that's complete click the
Delete Cookies button.
7. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check
for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL
3.0' is checked, then click OK.
8. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
then click OK
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert