9700 Performance Problems

Mr_Flibbles

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
Friends -

My brand new Radeon 9700 Pro video card is not performing up to par. I've got an Athlon xP 1600, 512 MB 2100 RAM, and a K7S5A mobo. In games and in 3Dmark 2001, I'm getting a herky-jerky sort of effect. My frame rate varies between high and very low, and some games come to a complete halt from time to time. Also, many of my games crash to the desktop.

Any suggestions? Is this an overheating problem? Bad drivers (I downloaded and installed the newest from the ATI website)? An out of date mobo?

Thanks,

T

ferrari

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2002
unfortunately, there could be many causes for this. catalyst 3 on several game benchmarks might give you slightly slower framerate than catalyst 2.5. might have to wait for dx9 games. But i think your problem sounds more serious than this. I have also heard of the power supply being the culprit sometimes if there's not enough power or if the power fluctuates. mobo could also be a prob, make sure you have the lastest bios and drivers for the mobo. If you are not overclocking your 9700 it shouldn't be an overheat prob, unless you are overclocking your cpu which could put too much demand on the system once you have the 9700 installed.

Those are just some first things i think off. I am sure there are other things that other people can add to this too.

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
I never got any k7s5a(ive tried 4 now)motherboards to work right with the radeon 9700 pro so i dont know how much success you will have.

mac404

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
Sounds like the power supply could be fluctuating too greatly, or that the ps doesn't supply anywhere near it's spec (a lot of off-brand ones are known do either of both of these). A new, high-quality Antec or Enermax power supply could really help stability overall.

You only die once, don't mess it up.