Comminications service no longer available after SP2

Hi,
Just installed SP2 on XP Home Edition and found out that communication
service in windows messenger no longer exists. My contacts are gone and I
can't find the checkbox to enable communications service. What has happened?
The new windows messenger version is 4.7.3000 while my old version was
4.7.2009. It couldn't be that MS suddenly removed the SIP protocol
functionality without notice or could it....??? Yes, I know we are not many
users of this SIP feature (yet) but still I expect to get a warning during
upgrade to SP2. Can I revert back to 4.7.2009? Where can I find it? Do I
have to uninstall 4.7.3000 first?
Please Help!
Regards / Fredrik

Greetings Fredrik,

It's recommended that you go straight to Windows Messenger 5 if you need SIP support:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77c3799f-6388-4193-8002-be55584c1ac1
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Fredrik" <fnorlund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Just installed SP2 on XP Home Edition and found out that communication service in windows
> messenger no longer exists. My contacts are gone and I can't find the checkbox to enable
> communications service. What has happened? The new windows messenger version is 4.7.3000
> while my old version was 4.7.2009. It couldn't be that MS suddenly removed the SIP protocol
> functionality without notice or could it....??? Yes, I know we are not many users of this
> SIP feature (yet) but still I expect to get a warning during upgrade to SP2. Can I revert
> back to 4.7.2009? Where can I find it? Do I have to uninstall 4.7.3000 first?
> Please Help!
> Regards / Fredrik

Hi Jonathan and thanx for your reply,
I've already tried ver 5.0 over a year ago and found out that it wasn't 100%
compatible with the SIP standard. Can't remember the details now. I'm using
a SIP aware firewall which dynamically can open RTC ports
(http://www.intertex.se) and version 4.7 has worked just fine until my
upgrade to SP2. Could you please tell if SIP functionality has been removed
from 4.7.3000?

Regards
Fredrik

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Greetings Fredrik,
>
> It's recommended that you go straight to Windows Messenger 5 if you need
> SIP support:
> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77c3799f-6388-4193-8002-be55584c1ac1
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Fredrik" <fnorlund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Just installed SP2 on XP Home Edition and found out that communication
>> service in windows messenger no longer exists. My contacts are gone and I
>> can't find the checkbox to enable communications service. What has
>> happened? The new windows messenger version is 4.7.3000 while my old
>> version was 4.7.2009. It couldn't be that MS suddenly removed the SIP
>> protocol functionality without notice or could it....??? Yes, I know we
>> are not many users of this SIP feature (yet) but still I expect to get a
>> warning during upgrade to SP2. Can I revert back to 4.7.2009? Where can I
>> find it? Do I have to uninstall 4.7.3000 first?
>> Please Help!
>> Regards / Fredrik

Hi Fredrik,

Yes it was removed in 4.7.3000 (as was Add-In support and a few other things).

> Hi Jonathan and thanx for your reply,
> I've already tried ver 5.0 over a year ago and found out that it wasn't 100% compatible
> with the SIP standard. Can't remember the details now. I'm using a SIP aware firewall which
> dynamically can open RTC ports (http://www.intertex.se) and version 4.7 has worked just
> fine until my upgrade to SP2. Could you please tell if SIP functionality has been removed
> from 4.7.3000?
>
> Regards
> Fredrik
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> Greetings Fredrik,
>>
>> It's recommended that you go straight to Windows Messenger 5 if you need SIP support:
>> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77c3799f-6388-4193-8002-be55584c1ac1
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Fredrik" <fnorlund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> Just installed SP2 on XP Home Edition and found out that communication service in windows
>>> messenger no longer exists. My contacts are gone and I can't find the checkbox to enable
>>> communications service. What has happened? The new windows messenger version is 4.7.3000
>>> while my old version was 4.7.2009. It couldn't be that MS suddenly removed the SIP
>>> protocol functionality without notice or could it....??? Yes, I know we are not many
>>> users of this SIP feature (yet) but still I expect to get a warning during upgrade to
>>> SP2. Can I revert back to 4.7.2009? Where can I find it? Do I have to uninstall 4.7.3000
>>> first?
>>> Please Help!
>>> Regards / Fredrik

is there any way to get both MSN-add in and SIP working under SP2?
Rolling back to 4.7, msn addin works, but not sip.
Havent tried 5.0 yet. But even if it works with SIP, the msn add-in
doesnt't support 5.0 right?

sorry to have rant. but why does MS do this?? SP2 is workng all good
except this..dang.!!

--
sipper