Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Comminications service no longer available after SP2

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 12:37:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi,
Just installed SP2 on XP Home Edition and found out that communication
service in windows messenger no longer exists. My contacts are gone and I
can't find the checkbox to enable communications service. What has happened?
The new windows messenger version is 4.7.3000 while my old version was
4.7.2009. It couldn't be that MS suddenly removed the SIP protocol
functionality without notice or could it....??? Yes, I know we are not many
users of this SIP feature (yet) but still I expect to get a warning during
upgrade to SP2. Can I revert back to 4.7.2009? Where can I find it? Do I
have to uninstall 4.7.3000 first?
Please Help!
Regards / Fredrik
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 12:37:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings Fredrik,

It's recommended that you go straight to Windows Messenger 5 if you need SIP support:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77...
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

"Fredrik" <fnorlund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eLu8KF8rEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> Just installed SP2 on XP Home Edition and found out that communication service in windows
> messenger no longer exists. My contacts are gone and I can't find the checkbox to enable
> communications service. What has happened? The new windows messenger version is 4.7.3000
> while my old version was 4.7.2009. It couldn't be that MS suddenly removed the SIP protocol
> functionality without notice or could it....??? Yes, I know we are not many users of this
> SIP feature (yet) but still I expect to get a warning during upgrade to SP2. Can I revert
> back to 4.7.2009? Where can I find it? Do I have to uninstall 4.7.3000 first?
> Please Help!
> Regards / Fredrik
>
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 1:46:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi Jonathan and thanx for your reply,
I've already tried ver 5.0 over a year ago and found out that it wasn't 100%
compatible with the SIP standard. Can't remember the details now. I'm using
a SIP aware firewall which dynamically can open RTC ports
(http://www.intertex.se) and version 4.7 has worked just fine until my
upgrade to SP2. Could you please tell if SIP functionality has been removed
from 4.7.3000?

Regards
Fredrik

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:%237AnFO8rEHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Greetings Fredrik,
>
> It's recommended that you go straight to Windows Messenger 5 if you need
> SIP support:
> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77...
> ____________________________________________
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> Associate Expert
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>
> "Fredrik" <fnorlund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eLu8KF8rEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>> Just installed SP2 on XP Home Edition and found out that communication
>> service in windows messenger no longer exists. My contacts are gone and I
>> can't find the checkbox to enable communications service. What has
>> happened? The new windows messenger version is 4.7.3000 while my old
>> version was 4.7.2009. It couldn't be that MS suddenly removed the SIP
>> protocol functionality without notice or could it....??? Yes, I know we
>> are not many users of this SIP feature (yet) but still I expect to get a
>> warning during upgrade to SP2. Can I revert back to 4.7.2009? Where can I
>> find it? Do I have to uninstall 4.7.3000 first?
>> Please Help!
>> Regards / Fredrik
>>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 1:46:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi Fredrik,

Yes it was removed in 4.7.3000 (as was Add-In support and a few other things).
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

"Fredrik" <fnorlund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23SIagr8rEHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi Jonathan and thanx for your reply,
> I've already tried ver 5.0 over a year ago and found out that it wasn't 100% compatible
> with the SIP standard. Can't remember the details now. I'm using a SIP aware firewall which
> dynamically can open RTC ports (http://www.intertex.se) and version 4.7 has worked just
> fine until my upgrade to SP2. Could you please tell if SIP functionality has been removed
> from 4.7.3000?
>
> Regards
> Fredrik
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> skrev i meddelandet
> news:%237AnFO8rEHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings Fredrik,
>>
>> It's recommended that you go straight to Windows Messenger 5 if you need SIP support:
>> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77...
>> ____________________________________________
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>> Associate Expert
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>>
>> "Fredrik" <fnorlund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:eLu8KF8rEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi,
>>> Just installed SP2 on XP Home Edition and found out that communication service in windows
>>> messenger no longer exists. My contacts are gone and I can't find the checkbox to enable
>>> communications service. What has happened? The new windows messenger version is 4.7.3000
>>> while my old version was 4.7.2009. It couldn't be that MS suddenly removed the SIP
>>> protocol functionality without notice or could it....??? Yes, I know we are not many
>>> users of this SIP feature (yet) but still I expect to get a warning during upgrade to
>>> SP2. Can I revert back to 4.7.2009? Where can I find it? Do I have to uninstall 4.7.3000
>>> first?
>>> Please Help!
>>> Regards / Fredrik
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 8:08:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

is there any way to get both MSN-add in and SIP working under SP2?
Rolling back to 4.7, msn addin works, but not sip.
Havent tried 5.0 yet. But even if it works with SIP, the msn add-in
doesnt't support 5.0 right?

sorry to have rant. but why does MS do this?? SP2 is workng all good
except this..dang.!!



--
sipper
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1142817.html
!