Real World Map for Civ3???

For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world" map of the
globe (at least as accurately as the program could make it), with the
various rival Civilizations starting out in their respective areas.

Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?
8 answers Last reply
More about real world civ3
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Nicholas Byram" <n.byram@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world" map of
    > the globe (at least as accurately as the program could make it), with the
    > various rival Civilizations starting out in their respective areas.
    >
    > Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?

    There are several. Each has variations for the 3 versions of civ as well.
    Check the creation&customization forum at www.civfanatics.com for them.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Nicholas Byram <n.byram@comcast.net> wrote:

    > For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world" map of the
    > globe (at least as accurately as the program could make it), with the
    > various rival Civilizations starting out in their respective areas.
    >
    > Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?
    Rhye's of Civilization Mod says it does just that.
    Get it on
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106207
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Persifor <persifor@pyramid.com> wrote:
    > Nicholas Byram <n.byram@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world"
    >> map of the globe (at least as accurately as the program could make
    >> it), with the various rival Civilizations starting out in their
    >> respective areas.
    >>
    >> Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?
    > Rhye's of Civilization Mod says it does just that.
    > Get it on
    > http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106207

    Is there one that starts in later eras with no special units, but
    realistic city positions? World2004 ist o.k., but the modpack is too big
    for non-broadband users...
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Tomislav Grabic" <grabic@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote in message
    > Persifor <persifor@pyramid.com> wrote:
    >> Nicholas Byram <n.byram@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world"
    >>> map of the globe (at least as accurately as the program could make
    >>> it), with the various rival Civilizations starting out in their
    >>> respective areas.
    >>>
    >>> Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?
    >> Rhye's of Civilization Mod says it does just that.
    >> Get it on
    >> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106207
    >
    > Is there one that starts in later eras with no special units, but
    > realistic city positions? World2004 ist o.k., but the modpack is too big
    > for non-broadband users...

    I think there is a Marla Maples world map somewhere that has realistic start
    positions on it.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Well, you might be more interested in the multiplayer conquests that
    come out.

    They are on portions of the real world, and in many cases, you have
    contacts with all the major players from turn 1.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message

    > "Tomislav Grabic" <grabic@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote in message
    > > Persifor <persifor@pyramid.com> wrote:

    > >> Rhye's of Civilization Mod says it does just that.
    > >> Get it on
    > >> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106207
    > >
    > > Is there one that starts in later eras with no special units, but
    > > realistic city positions? World2004 ist o.k., but the modpack is too big
    > > for non-broadband users...
    >
    > I think there is a Marla Maples world map somewhere that has realistic
    start
    > positions on it.

    The latest version of the DYP mod seems to have realistic start positions.
    I started a hot seat game with a friend the other night using DYP and chose
    the Turks, I found I was in Turkey around the Istanbul location. My Friend
    played India and was in India. The Greeks were in Greece and other AI
    players seem to be in the correct locations.

    Rob
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Canopus <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote:
    > "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tomislav Grabic" <grabic@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote in message

    >>> Is there one that starts in later eras with no special units, but
    >>> realistic city positions? World2004 ist o.k., but the modpack is
    >>> too big for non-broadband users...
    >>
    >> I think there is a Marla Maples world map somewhere that has
    >> realistic start positions on it.
    >>

    > The latest version of the DYP mod seems to have realistic start
    > positions. I started a hot seat game with a friend the other night
    > using DYP and chose the Turks, I found I was in Turkey around the
    > Istanbul location. My Friend played India and was in India. The
    > Greeks were in Greece and other AI players seem to be in the correct
    > locations.

    Original starting locations - great - but aside the capital having
    already a world with cities, units etc. (but only original,
    Vanilla/PTW/C3C stuff) is more or less what I´m looking for. In PBEM
    games, it´s just tedious to wait the first 50 turns before any contact at
    all happens.

    Tomi
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:21:18 GMT, "Nicholas Byram"
    <n.byram@comcast.net> wrote:

    >For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world" map of the
    >globe (at least as accurately as the program could make it), with the
    >various rival Civilizations starting out in their respective areas.
    >
    >Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?

    Is there such a map for RAR?
    Buck
    --
    For what it's worth.