Real World Map for Civ3???

Last response: in Video Games
December 12, 2004 12:21:18 AM

For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world" map of the
globe (at least as accurately as the program could make it), with the
various rival Civilizations starting out in their respective areas.

Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?

More about : real world map civ3

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:33:26 AM

"Nicholas Byram" <n.byram@comcast.net> wrote in message

> For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world" map of
> the globe (at least as accurately as the program could make it), with the
> various rival Civilizations starting out in their respective areas.
>
> Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?

There are several. Each has variations for the 3 versions of civ as well.
Check the creation&customization forum at www.civfanatics.com for them.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:23:41 PM

Nicholas Byram <n.byram@comcast.net> wrote:

> For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world" map of the
> globe (at least as accurately as the program could make it), with the
> various rival Civilizations starting out in their respective areas.
>
> Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?
Rhye's of Civilization Mod says it does just that.
Get it on
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106207
December 12, 2004 11:48:50 PM

Persifor <persifor@pyramid.com> wrote:
> Nicholas Byram <n.byram@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world"
>> map of the globe (at least as accurately as the program could make
>> it), with the various rival Civilizations starting out in their
>> respective areas.
>>
>> Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?
> Rhye's of Civilization Mod says it does just that.
> Get it on
> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106207

Is there one that starts in later eras with no special units, but
realistic city positions? World2004 ist o.k., but the modpack is too big
for non-broadband users...
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 12:07:54 AM

"Tomislav Grabic" <grabic@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote in message
> Persifor <persifor@pyramid.com> wrote:
>> Nicholas Byram <n.byram@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world"
>>> map of the globe (at least as accurately as the program could make
>>> it), with the various rival Civilizations starting out in their
>>> respective areas.
>>>
>>> Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?
>> Rhye's of Civilization Mod says it does just that.
>> Get it on
>> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106207
>
> Is there one that starts in later eras with no special units, but
> realistic city positions? World2004 ist o.k., but the modpack is too big
> for non-broadband users...

I think there is a Marla Maples world map somewhere that has realistic start
positions on it.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 1:09:29 PM

Well, you might be more interested in the multiplayer conquests that
come out.

They are on portions of the real world, and in many cases, you have
contacts with all the major players from turn 1.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 4:02:21 PM

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> "Tomislav Grabic" <grabic@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote in message
> > Persifor <persifor@pyramid.com> wrote:

> >> Rhye's of Civilization Mod says it does just that.
> >> Get it on
> >> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106207
> >
> > Is there one that starts in later eras with no special units, but
> > realistic city positions? World2004 ist o.k., but the modpack is too big
> > for non-broadband users...
>
> I think there is a Marla Maples world map somewhere that has realistic
start
> positions on it.

The latest version of the DYP mod seems to have realistic start positions.
I started a hot seat game with a friend the other night using DYP and chose
the Turks, I found I was in Turkey around the Istanbul location. My Friend
played India and was in India. The Greeks were in Greece and other AI
players seem to be in the correct locations.

Rob
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:15:13 PM

Canopus <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote:
> "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tomislav Grabic" <grabic@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote in message

>>> Is there one that starts in later eras with no special units, but
>>> realistic city positions? World2004 ist o.k., but the modpack is
>>> too big for non-broadband users...
>>
>> I think there is a Marla Maples world map somewhere that has
>> realistic start positions on it.
>>

> The latest version of the DYP mod seems to have realistic start
> positions. I started a hot seat game with a friend the other night
> using DYP and chose the Turks, I found I was in Turkey around the
> Istanbul location. My Friend played India and was in India. The
> Greeks were in Greece and other AI players seem to be in the correct
> locations.

Original starting locations - great - but aside the capital having
already a world with cities, units etc. (but only original,
Vanilla/PTW/C3C stuff) is more or less what I´m looking for. In PBEM
games, it´s just tedious to wait the first 50 turns before any contact at
all happens.

Tomi
December 14, 2004 3:09:09 AM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:21:18 GMT, "Nicholas Byram"
<n.byram@comcast.net> wrote:

>For Civ2, there was the possibility of starting on a "real world" map of the
>globe (at least as accurately as the program could make it), with the
>various rival Civilizations starting out in their respective areas.
>
>Is there such a map for Civ3? If so, where to download it?

Is there such a map for RAR?
Buck
--
For what it's worth.