All the Rubber

This has been quite an unusual game for me. I am playing Monarch on a
large map with four decent size continents. Two are owned by single
civs but the landmass is large enough to make them superpowers.
Germany and myself have pretty much conquered the other two
landmasses.

This has been a very rough warlike game. One civ was destroyed before
I even met anyone. Arabia declared war on me 3 times before I made it
out of the BC era. There are only 5 of us left now.

I recently got replaceable parts and found out all the rubber resides
on my continent and one two square island off the coast. I have ten
total and I can't find any on the other continents.

Since I was forced into major war early with little help I ended up
with a larger piece of land than I normally have at this point. I
don't ever recall such an uneven distribution though. When I try to
trade it the AI won't even give me a luxury in return even though they
are as large as me. So screw them then. If I can get control on the
sea I am going to send over some infantry.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:07:55 -0500, P12 <nowhere@all.com> wrote:

>I recently got replaceable parts and found out all the rubber resides
>on my continent and one two square island off the coast. I have ten
>total and I can't find any on the other continents.
>
> Since I was forced into major war early with little help I ended up
>with a larger piece of land than I normally have at this point. I
>don't ever recall such an uneven distribution though. When I try to

Once, with about 1/3 of the world, I had *ALL* the uranium.

alex

"P12" <nowhere@all.com> wrote in message news:gr4pr09es0ktk34cb4i4fo7gv73kgkdrt5@4ax.com...
> This has been quite an unusual game for me. I am playing Monarch on a
> large map with four decent size continents. Two are owned by single
> civs but the landmass is large enough to make them superpowers.
> Germany and myself have pretty much conquered the other two
> landmasses.
>
> This has been a very rough warlike game. One civ was destroyed before
> I even met anyone. Arabia declared war on me 3 times before I made it
> out of the BC era. There are only 5 of us left now.
>
> I recently got replaceable parts and found out all the rubber resides
> on my continent and one two square island off the coast. I have ten
> total and I can't find any on the other continents.
>
> Since I was forced into major war early with little help I ended up
> with a larger piece of land than I normally have at this point. I
> don't ever recall such an uneven distribution though. When I try to
> trade it the AI won't even give me a luxury in return even though they
> are as large as me. So screw them then. If I can get control on the
> sea I am going to send over some infantry.

A sound decision on the part of AI, I must say. You do not plan to sell
Rubber to them later in the game, when they can build something more
serious than infantry, do you? Nor is there any chance to get it from
you by the brute force. With your rubber they would end up with unpgradable
infantry against modern armors in the end. Their best choice is to
build artillerly and guerillas (at least they will be able to upgrade
them later) and hope to pull out non-conquest victory.

I myself would not buy rubber in this situation from the AI, much less
from a smart human player. In fact I often sell my last rubber until
the arrival of motorized transportation. By that time the price of rubber
will be quite steep by the way.

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:07:55 -0500, P12 <nowhere@all.com> wrote:

>This has been quite an unusual game for me. I am playing Monarch on a
>large map with four decent size continents. Two are owned by single
>civs but the landmass is large enough to make them superpowers.
>Germany and myself have pretty much conquered the other two
>landmasses.
>
>This has been a very rough warlike game. One civ was destroyed before
>I even met anyone. Arabia declared war on me 3 times before I made it
>out of the BC era. There are only 5 of us left now.
>
>I recently got replaceable parts and found out all the rubber resides
>on my continent and one two square island off the coast. I have ten
>total and I can't find any on the other continents.
>
> Since I was forced into major war early with little help I ended up
>with a larger piece of land than I normally have at this point. I
>don't ever recall such an uneven distribution though. When I try to
>trade it the AI won't even give me a luxury in return even though they
>are as large as me. So screw them then. If I can get control on the
>sea I am going to send over some infantry.

Quite a few times I have played games where the coal didn't show up
any where near me. I had the largest continent and no coal. After
three games of this, I improved the chances of coal showing up.

Buck
--
For what it's worth.