disabling messenger

Help! I've just upgraded to XP and don't want Windows
Messenger. It's not listed under "Services"
in "Administrative Tools" nor is in "Add/Remove
programs". I have MSN Messenger, which I prefer to use.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
4 answers Last reply
More about disabling messenger

    "Mandrax" wrote:

    > Help! I've just upgraded to XP and don't want Windows
    > Messenger. It's not listed under "Services"
    > in "Administrative Tools" nor is in "Add/Remove
    > programs". I have MSN Messenger, which I prefer to use.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

    Greetings Mandrax,

    To disable Windows Messenger, open it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
    click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or
    'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this
    program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background'
    (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like Remote
    Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let it stay
    out of your way.

    Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
    new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
    also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
    icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
    click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Mandrax" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Help! I've just upgraded to XP and don't want Windows
    > Messenger. It's not listed under "Services"
    > in "Administrative Tools" nor is in "Add/Remove
    > programs". I have MSN Messenger, which I prefer to use.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

    Thanx Johnathan! I had already disabled messenger in the
    options tab as you suggested but have now disabled the
    thingie in Norton (which I have just upgraded!)
    Hopefully, this will fix it! However, when I connected to
    the net tonight, I was still prompted to update messenger
    to a later version......this was before I altered
    Norton's options........what's going on???
    Yours, on a blonde day,
    Mandrax

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"Mandrax" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> Help! I've just upgraded to XP and don't want Windows
    >> Messenger. It's not listed under "Services"
    >> in "Administrative Tools" nor is in "Add/Remove
    >> programs". I have MSN Messenger, which I prefer to use.
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
    advance!!

    >.

    Hi Mandrax,

    You also might want to reboot to make sure that Windows Messenger still isn't running.
    You're very welcome =).

    > Thanx Johnathan! I had already disabled messenger in the
    > options tab as you suggested but have now disabled the
    > thingie in Norton (which I have just upgraded!)
    > Hopefully, this will fix it! However, when I connected to
    > the net tonight, I was still prompted to update messenger
    > to a later version......this was before I altered
    > Norton's options........what's going on???
    > Yours, on a blonde day,
    > Mandrax

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP