MSN Add-in rehash

Have installed Windows Messenger 4.7(4.7.2009) along with MSN Messenger
Add-in as advise in earlier posting. I am unable to sign in to the service.
OS = Window XP Home SP2. I have been to the passport site and Hotmail to
verify my password and sign in are correct. Still getting the message that
"Signing in to .NET Messenger Service failed because password is incorrect
or the sign in name does not exist. If you have forgotten your password,
click Help in the main window and then click Help Topics." I did all the
stated elements and am still unable to sign in... Any Suggestions. Should I
just switch to MSN messenger. My main reason for using the service is two
fold. One to receive notification of new mail in my Hotmail Account. and to
communicate with a few friends on IM.

Jack
3 answers Last reply
More about rehash

    I gave up. I tried everything I could to think of to correct the problem...
    I down loaded Widows Messenger 5.0 and it reacted exactly like it should. Of
    course it does not offer the MSN add-in. So I relented and installed MSN
    Messenger 6.2 and will use it. But as I understand it. Norton AV does not
    offer virus protection on this app as it does on Windows Messenger.
    Jack

    "Jack Ross" <uncajack_delete-this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have installed Windows Messenger 4.7(4.7.2009) along with MSN Messenger
    > Add-in as advise in earlier posting. I am unable to sign in to the
    > service. OS = Window XP Home SP2. I have been to the passport site and
    > Hotmail to verify my password and sign in are correct. Still getting the
    > message that "Signing in to .NET Messenger Service failed because password
    > is incorrect or the sign in name does not exist. If you have forgotten
    > your password, click Help in the main window and then click Help Topics."
    > I did all the stated elements and am still unable to sign in... Any
    > Suggestions. Should I just switch to MSN messenger. My main reason for
    > using the service is two fold. One to receive notification of new mail in
    > my Hotmail Account. and to communicate with a few friends on IM.
    >
    > Jack

    I have exactly the same problem on my lap top (also xp home sp2), I removed
    Messenger 4.7 and installed 5 but it made no difference. I cannot sign in at
    www.passport.com from that m/c either, yet on another pc (also xp home sp2),
    my pc with internet sharing, I can sign in without problems. The laptop has
    its internet connection changed frequently from 56k modem to ISDN ta to
    connection sharing. doesn't work on any of them. I have disabled all
    firewalls but it makes no
    difference? Where do I go from here?

    What firewall are you running?Have you made sure to allow
    Cookies within IE to sign onto Net Passort?If you have a
    cookie blocker disable it also.

Messenger MSN Messenger Windows XP