Continuing problems with embassies!

fred

Hello folks,
Still having problems making embassies. Doubled clicked icon on map, star or
anything there for that matter. I'm playing 1.29g Civ III for Mac.

I've just had a great game, but life would have been easier if I could have
made some embassies.

I must be doing something stupid or not seeing something in front of my
eye's. I've clicked, double click, modified my click but still no embassies.

I'm running OS X.3.6 and am up to date on everything. SSSSSooooooooo why
can't I make Embassies????

Pissed off,
Fred

Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

"fred" <fbloggs@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hello folks,
> Still having problems making embassies. Doubled clicked icon on map, star
> or
> anything there for that matter. I'm playing 1.29g Civ III for Mac.
>
> I've just had a great game, but life would have been easier if I could
> have
> made some embassies.
>
> I must be doing something stupid or not seeing something in front of my
> eye's. I've clicked, double click, modified my click but still no
> embassies.
>
> I'm running OS X.3.6 and am up to date on everything. SSSSSooooooooo why
> can't I make Embassies????

Have you tried the diplomacy hotkeys?
I don't know what they would be for the mac but should be documented in the
civilopedia.

Around 12/14/2004 6:44 PM, fred proclaimed for posterity:
> Hello folks,
> Still having problems making embassies. Doubled clicked icon on map, star or
> anything there for that matter. I'm playing 1.29g Civ III for Mac.
>
> I've just had a great game, but life would have been easier if I could have
> made some embassies.
>
> I must be doing something stupid or not seeing something in front of my
> eye's. I've clicked, double click, modified my click but still no embassies.
>
> I'm running OS X.3.6 and am up to date on everything. SSSSSooooooooo why
> can't I make Embassies????
>
> Pissed off,
> Fred

Even though I have the PC version, I'll fire up a vanilla 1.29 game
later tonight and see what's up. It's been so long since I've played
that version, and many things have changed.

--
Brandon Supernaw - <bhsupernaw@sbcglobal.net>

In article <0001HW.BDE5398D001A3E6FF02845B0@news.cable.ntlworld.com>,
fred <fbloggs@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Still having problems making embassies. Doubled clicked icon on map,
>star or anything there for that matter. I'm playing 1.29g Civ III for
>Mac.

Hmm... I'm using 1.29b2 which I believe is the latest patch for the Mac
and I have no problems with creating embassies.

[...]
>I'm running OS X.3.6 and am up to date on everything. SSSSSooooooooo
>why can't I make Embassies????

I'm also running the same version as you are. I've no idea why it's not
working for you, although the version of Civ3 you mention doesn't sound
quite right to me.

As a last resort, I suggest reinstalling and patching to 1.29b2.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:23:22 -0600, Brandon Supernaw
<bhsupernaw@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Even though I have the PC version, I'll fire up a vanilla 1.29 game
>later tonight and see what's up. It's been so long since I've played
>that version, and many things have changed.

In vanilla civ he should be able to make embassies by double clicking
his own capital city icon. I have not heard of patch version g
though. I thought f was the last patch they where going to do.

The biggest difference is it will pop up a prompt asking you which civ
to put an embassy in. In PTW this was later changed to a full screen.

"P12" <nowhere@all.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:23:22 -0600, Brandon Supernaw
> <bhsupernaw@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>Even though I have the PC version, I'll fire up a vanilla 1.29 game
>>later tonight and see what's up. It's been so long since I've played
>>that version, and many things have changed.
>
> In vanilla civ he should be able to make embassies by double clicking
> his own capital city icon. I have not heard of patch version g
> though. I thought f was the last patch they where going to do.

The g patches were for the Mac

> The biggest difference is it will pop up a prompt asking you which civ
> to put an embassy in. In PTW this was later changed to a full screen.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:50:44 -0500, "The Stare"
<wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

>"P12" <nowhere@all.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:23:22 -0600, Brandon Supernaw
>> <bhsupernaw@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> In vanilla civ he should be able to make embassies by double clicking
>> his own capital city icon. I have not heard of patch version g
>> though. I thought f was the last patch they where going to do.
>
>The g patches were for the Mac

It's as if they are trying to make the patch numbering as confusing as
possible.

In article <329qkoF3l6mu2U1@individual.net>, The Stare
<wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:
>"P12" <nowhere@all.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have not heard of patch version g though. I thought f was the
>> last patch they where going to do.
>
>The g patches were for the Mac

1.21g was the last supported patch for the Mac. I have the 1.29b2
updater which improves on that tremendously.

morgan

So when you click here....
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/image.jpg
You don't get...
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/image2.jpg

When you have discovered writing does your advisor not inform you that you
can now set up embassies with other civs that you have met...?

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive problems...
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

fred

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:55:52 +0000, Morgan wrote
(in article <cpo24a$5pq$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>):

> So when you click here....
> www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/image.jpg
> You don't get...
> www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/image2.jpg
>
> When you have discovered writing does your advisor not inform you that you
> can now set up embassies with other civs that you have met...?

Oh Yes, thats fine. But once that option is played - the one's you choose or
as much as you can for the money you have - after that, then you can not
later get the countries you didn't in the first place pick. If you understand
what I mean.

Fred

Hogwasher: You don't have to sacrifice friendliness for power
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

Around 12/14/2004 8:44 PM, P12 proclaimed for posterity:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:23:22 -0600, Brandon Supernaw
> <bhsupernaw@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>Even though I have the PC version, I'll fire up a vanilla 1.29 game
>>later tonight and see what's up. It's been so long since I've played
>>that version, and many things have changed.
>

> In vanilla civ he should be able to make embassies by double clicking
> his own capital city icon. I have not heard of patch version g
> though. I thought f was the last patch they where going to do.

Bingo. That is exactly what is happening here on the PC version. I
double-click on the little star on the right side of my Capital name to
get the prompt.

By the way, I checked when I knew I didn't have enough gold and I still
got prompted, so gold shouldn't be an issue. It only tells me I don't
have enough once I actually try to place an embassy. Also, even if I
already have embassies in all nations, it still pops up with a "we
cannot establish any new embassies at this time" popup.

I cannot find any shortcut keys to this. Shift-D brings up the the list
of nations you have contact with for you to choose which you want to
start negotiating with. Shift-E brings up the bare-bones espionage menu.

My only guess is that the double-click on the star may not be getting
performed as quickly as necessary. He's doing what he needs to be doing
to get the screen. Either that, or they hoarked it when they did the
Mac port.

> The biggest difference is it will pop up a prompt asking you which civ
> to put an embassy in. In PTW this was later changed to a full screen.

Lordy, I'd forgotten what an improvement PTW and C3C are in that area.

I tell ya, going back and playing after not touching the vanilla version
for so long as been a trip. I was trying to figure out why the heck I
couldn't upgrade my longbowmen to guerillas and little things like that
all the time. :D

--
Brandon Supernaw - <bhsupernaw@sbcglobal.net>

morgan

> Oh Yes, thats fine. But once that option is played - the one's you choose
> or
> as much as you can for the money you have................

Ok so the "mechanics" of establishing the embassies seems ok.

> after that, then you can not
> later get the countries you didn't in the first place pick. If you
> understand
> what I mean.

Yes I do, understand. :)

What you need to do is to then bring up the second sceen that I linked.....

www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/image2.jpg

The ones WITHOUT the small embassy type "building" are the ones without an
embassy. Selecting one of those allows you to build an embassy. Except
during times of conflict or those Civs that you have not yet met an embassy
should be able to be established. I am not sure IF the other Civ that you
want to establish an embassy in needs also to have discovered writing first.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive problems...
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

fred

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:12:28 +0000, Morgan wrote
(in article <cpov5u$qf5$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>):

>> Oh Yes, thats fine. But once that option is played - the one's you choose
>> or
>> as much as you can for the money you have................
>
> Ok so the "mechanics" of establishing the embassies seems ok.
>
>> after that, then you can not
>> later get the countries you didn't in the first place pick. If you
>> understand
>> what I mean.
>
> Yes I do, understand. :)
>
> What you need to do is to then bring up the second sceen that I linked.....
>
> www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/image2.jpg
I've never seen this window before.

> The ones WITHOUT the small embassy type "building" are the ones without an
> embassy. Selecting one of those allows you to build an embassy. Except
> during times of conflict or those Civs that you have not yet met an embassy
> should be able to be established. I am not sure IF the other Civ that you
> want to establish an embassy in needs also to have discovered writing first.
I've got all that...but I'll check them out again.

Thanks for your help.
Fred

Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

fred

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:00:14 +0000, Stainsby wrote
(in article <141220042300146679%stainsby@dev.null>):

> In article <329qkoF3l6mu2U1@individual.net>, The Stare
> <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:
>> "P12" <nowhere@all.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have not heard of patch version g though. I thought f was the
>>> last patch they where going to do.
>>
>> The g patches were for the Mac
>
> 1.21g was the last supported patch for the Mac. I have the 1.29b2
> updater which improves on that tremendously.

Where can I get that updater?
Fred

Posted with Hogwasher. For a free Test Drive click on:
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

In article <0001HW.BDE6F20C002A08A3F02845B0@news.cable.ntlworld.com>,
fred <fbloggs@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:00:14 +0000, Stainsby wrote
>(in article <141220042300146679%stainsby@dev.null>):
>>
>> 1.21g was the last supported patch for the Mac. I have the 1.29b2
>> updater which improves on that tremendously.
>
>Where can I get that updater?

Here's a link to the download:
http://www.ahart.demon.co.uk/files/Civ3_1.29b2_Installer.sitx

I found it in AlanH's sig on the CivFanatics Forum.

fred

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:14:30 +0000, Stainsby wrote
(in article <161220040314305707%stainsby@dev.null>):

> In article <0001HW.BDE6F20C002A08A3F02845B0@news.cable.ntlworld.com>,
> fred <fbloggs@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:00:14 +0000, Stainsby wrote
>> (in article <141220042300146679%stainsby@dev.null>):
>>>
>>> 1.21g was the last supported patch for the Mac. I have the 1.29b2
>>> updater which improves on that tremendously.
>>
>> Where can I get that updater?
>
> Here's a link to the download:
> http://www.ahart.demon.co.uk/files/Civ3_1.29b2_Installer.sitx

The web page seems to have trouble but thanks. Now that I know about it I'll
get it later.