pci mode for agp card

freightliner

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I have an Asus P4S533 that I run a 1.6 P4 w/512 PC 2700 and an MSI GeForce4 Ti 4600 agp card. The problem is that the card seems to be running in PCI mode. When I go to the directx menu to enable agp related features they are greyed out. Also in the nvidia properties dialog it shows PCI mode as well. I enabled agp in the setup menu of the bios and it continues to boot up with the agp slot in PCI mode. I checked documentation for the motherboard and it indicates the the AGP slot shares IRQ with the 1st and the fifth PCI slot. Could the fact that there is a PCI card in the fifth slot (my firewire card) causing the AGP slot to default to PCI mode? Or is this (operates in PCI mode) a feature of the agp card and there is nothing to be done? Any advice would be appreciated.

Nothing evil is but thinking makes it so.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First thing to make certain of is that the chipset drivers that came with the motherboad CD are installed, as you need them for the AGP slot. Then make certain your video card properties look OK in device manager.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

freightliner

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Crashman,
Thank you so much for pointing out the obvious. I feel so stupid now, I wasn't even AWARE that there were agp drivers required for my mobo. Sure enough, looked on the disc and there they were...problem solved!

Nothing evil is but thinking makes it so.