laptop - upgrading disks

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have a couple of laptops
and want to upgrade from the 30GB disk to a 60GB disk.
Currently running Winx/XP with the disk formatted as NTFS.

What are the least involved steps to clone the disk to the 60GB ?
I've used older copies of Partition Magic, Drive Copy, and Ghost,
but not sure about the logistics involved for copying a laptop.
I would like to use an external USB case for the 2nd drive,
but have not acquired one as yet.... some specs said they didn't support
over 40GB.

We have a Dell C610 laptop to clone - also have Toshiba and Thinkpad -
but just for the Dell, I bought the swappable modular bay to support the 2nd
disk
and was thinking I could use something like Partition Magic or Drive Copy.
Not sure about the other laptops and getting a USB case for the upgrade.
9 answers Last reply
More about laptop upgrading disks
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Bigguy wrote:
    > Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    I completely agree with you, Bigguy!
    Personally I use it, so I want to tell you my conclusion based on my
    own experience that it's really convenient and easy to use program with
    a lot of useful features. It has great intuitive Windows wizard, that
    makes utilization more pleasant.
    I just love this program, as it saved me hundred times. Now, I couldn't
    even imagine my life without it.
    My best recommendations are with this software. IMHO
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Guy

    "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote in message
    news:MNdOe.510$L77.214@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
    >I have a couple of laptops
    > and want to upgrade from the 30GB disk to a 60GB disk.
    > Currently running Winx/XP with the disk formatted as NTFS.
    >
    > What are the least involved steps to clone the disk to the 60GB ?
    > I've used older copies of Partition Magic, Drive Copy, and Ghost,
    > but not sure about the logistics involved for copying a laptop.
    > I would like to use an external USB case for the 2nd drive,
    > but have not acquired one as yet.... some specs said they didn't support
    > over 40GB.
    >
    > We have a Dell C610 laptop to clone - also have Toshiba and Thinkpad -
    > but just for the Dell, I bought the swappable modular bay to support the
    > 2nd
    > disk
    > and was thinking I could use something like Partition Magic or Drive Copy.
    > Not sure about the other laptops and getting a USB case for the upgrade.
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops Bigguy <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote:
    : Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    : http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Another vote for Acronis True Image to upgrade your disks (with
    cloning or imaging). I got it on sale several months back for about
    $35 at NewEgg.com.

    You could use a USB enclosure, put your new hard drive in that, make
    it temporarily an external hard drive, clone the old drive to the new,
    then swap the drives. Either get a 2.5" enclosure for laptop drives
    or a 3.5" enclosure for desktop drives and get a 40 pin to 44 pin
    adaptor to use a laptop drive in a desktop IDE device. Get two of
    those adaptors and you could do the cloning on a desktop machine
    without an enclosure.

    Andrew

    : "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote in message
    : news:MNdOe.510$L77.214@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
    : >I have a couple of laptops
    : > and want to upgrade from the 30GB disk to a 60GB disk.
    : > Currently running Winx/XP with the disk formatted as NTFS.
    : >
    : > What are the least involved steps to clone the disk to the 60GB ?
    : > I've used older copies of Partition Magic, Drive Copy, and Ghost,
    : > but not sure about the logistics involved for copying a laptop.
    : > I would like to use an external USB case for the 2nd drive,
    : > but have not acquired one as yet.... some specs said they didn't support
    : > over 40GB.
    : >
    : > We have a Dell C610 laptop to clone - also have Toshiba and Thinkpad -
    : > but just for the Dell, I bought the swappable modular bay to support the
    : > 2nd
    : > disk
    : > and was thinking I could use something like Partition Magic or Drive Copy.
    : > Not sure about the other laptops and getting a USB case for the upgrade.
    : >
    : >
    : >


    --

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
    *******************************************************************
    ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
    ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
    *******************************************************************
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Andrew wrote:

    > In comp.sys.laptops Bigguy <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote:
    > : Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    > : http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    >
    > Another vote for Acronis True Image to upgrade your disks (with
    > cloning or imaging). I got it on sale several months back for about
    > $35 at NewEgg.com.
    >
    > You could use a USB enclosure, put your new hard drive in that, make
    > it temporarily an external hard drive, clone the old drive to the new,
    > then swap the drives. Either get a 2.5" enclosure for laptop drives
    > or a 3.5" enclosure for desktop drives and get a 40 pin to 44 pin
    > adaptor to use a laptop drive in a desktop IDE device. Get two of
    > those adaptors and you could do the cloning on a desktop machine
    > without an enclosure.
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > : "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote in message
    > : news:MNdOe.510$L77.214@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
    > : >I have a couple of laptops
    > : > and want to upgrade from the 30GB disk to a 60GB disk.
    > : > Currently running Winx/XP with the disk formatted as NTFS.
    > : >
    > : > What are the least involved steps to clone the disk to the 60GB ?
    > : > I've used older copies of Partition Magic, Drive Copy, and Ghost,
    > : > but not sure about the logistics involved for copying a laptop.
    > : > I would like to use an external USB case for the 2nd drive,
    > : > but have not acquired one as yet.... some specs said they didn't support
    > : > over 40GB.
    > : >
    > : > We have a Dell C610 laptop to clone - also have Toshiba and Thinkpad -
    > : > but just for the Dell, I bought the swappable modular bay to support the
    > : > 2nd
    > : > disk
    > : > and was thinking I could use something like Partition Magic or Drive Copy.
    > : > Not sure about the other laptops and getting a USB case for the upgrade.
    > : >
    > : >
    > : >
    >
    >
    >
    I agree that True Image is a good tool to do this. Still, I must say
    that, although I am an experienced users, I ended up a few days ago
    restoring a backup drive instead a cloning my main drive to the backup
    drive. Of course, I cannot rule out a gross mistake on my part in
    selecting the disks but actually, I believe something else happened. The
    only thing I did differently from usual is, in Select Data Moving
    Method, I chose Proportional (which I had never done before) instead of
    Manual.

    Until I can experiment without endangering my system, I am back to the
    Manual method. I would really like to go to the bottom of this and
    convince myself I made a mistake. But the fact that my Backup Drive is a
    Firewire which is not recognized on my machine upon Boot-up, meaning I
    must disconnect it when Windows closes and reconnect it while it reboots
    might have been a factor.

    I strongly recommend to triple check what you are doing since the
    consequences of such incident can be desastrous (not in mine, my backup
    was fairly recent).

    --
    John Doue
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Bigguy" <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3mtqq6F18qa9nU1@individual.net...
    > Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    >
    thanks -
    just downloaded the manual and was reading thru it -
    Wonder how Acronis TrueImage compares to Ghost and the other products -
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

    : "Bigguy" <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : news:3mtqq6F18qa9nU1@individual.net...
    : > Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    : > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    : >
    : thanks -
    : just downloaded the manual and was reading thru it -
    : Wonder how Acronis TrueImage compares to Ghost and the other products -

    Here's one comparison of sorts:

    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117961,00.asp

    I have never used Ghost, but to hear that some people think True Image
    is better at a lower price was enough to sell me and I've never
    regretted it. Great software. Although I have used it dozens of
    times just to backup and clone disks, I did have to use it for real
    when my hard drive crashed a couple of weeks back. Worked absolutely
    perfectly - I was amazed that I could boot from the new hard drive
    after restoring the backup image to it without doing anything.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
    *******************************************************************
    ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
    ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
    *******************************************************************
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:
    : I agree that True Image is a good tool to do this. Still, I must say
    : that, although I am an experienced users, I ended up a few days ago
    : restoring a backup drive instead a cloning my main drive to the backup
    : drive. Of course, I cannot rule out a gross mistake on my part in
    : selecting the disks but actually, I believe something else happened. The
    : only thing I did differently from usual is, in Select Data Moving
    : Method, I chose Proportional (which I had never done before) instead of
    : Manual.

    I have cloned drives a few times successfully with True Image. I
    think I once had a problem trying to backup an image on an old Win98
    machine but on newer machines no issues. At least True Image works on
    Win98/ME and not just 2000/XP, because I have needed to use it on
    older systems a few times in the last several months.

    Perhaps you should have tried a different method besides proportional?
    Restoring an image would have just given you the same partition size
    as before so wouldn't it have been worth a try to clone that way?

    : Until I can experiment without endangering my system, I am back to the
    : Manual method. I would really like to go to the bottom of this and
    : convince myself I made a mistake. But the fact that my Backup Drive is a
    : Firewire which is not recognized on my machine upon Boot-up, meaning I
    : must disconnect it when Windows closes and reconnect it while it reboots
    : might have been a factor.

    You mean the True Image rescue CD doesn't recognize your Firewire
    device upon bootup? Have you obtained the latest builds from Acronis?
    Did you visit the Acronis forums and see if there are any known fixes
    for this issue?

    I've been impressed with its support for such devices as my USB 2.0 PC
    Card add-on for my laptop so I could restore images from an external
    hard drive.

    : I strongly recommend to triple check what you are doing since the
    : consequences of such incident can be desastrous (not in mine, my backup
    : was fairly recent).

    It's fairly easy to boot up from the rescue CD and begin the process
    of restoring an image without actually doing it just to make sure all
    your hardware is recognized and such.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
    *******************************************************************
    ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
    ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
    *******************************************************************
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I absolutely agree with you that True Image is wonderful and easy. I
    have used it several time but never needed to in anger. Another
    posting asks about a comparison with Ghost. Ghost is a bloody demon
    to use. It didn't agree with its manual. Support was useless.
    Acronis always reply to a request. The command line in Ghost 2001
    didn't work only the "GUI", and it didn't work with XP. And yes, True
    Image is cheaper and more reliable.

    I was intrigued by your other point. I don't know what you mean by
    enclosure. I gather that a cable could be run from a laptop internal
    drive to the mobo IDE socket on a desktop. Is that right?

    If not could you please explain.

    Would it need special software?

    Colin

    On 22 Aug 2005 15:43:09 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
    wrote:

    >In comp.sys.laptops Bigguy <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >: Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    >: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    >
    >Another vote for Acronis True Image to upgrade your disks (with
    >cloning or imaging). I got it on sale several months back for about
    >$35 at NewEgg.com.
    >
    >You could use a USB enclosure, put your new hard drive in that, make
    >it temporarily an external hard drive, clone the old drive to the new,
    >then swap the drives. Either get a 2.5" enclosure for laptop drives
    >or a 3.5" enclosure for desktop drives and get a 40 pin to 44 pin
    >adaptor to use a laptop drive in a desktop IDE device. Get two of
    >those adaptors and you could do the cloning on a desktop machine
    >without an enclosure.
    >
    >Andrew
    >
    >: "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote in message
    >: news:MNdOe.510$L77.214@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
    >: >I have a couple of laptops
    >: > and want to upgrade from the 30GB disk to a 60GB disk.
    >: > Currently running Winx/XP with the disk formatted as NTFS.
    >: >
    >: > What are the least involved steps to clone the disk to the 60GB ?
    >: > I've used older copies of Partition Magic, Drive Copy, and Ghost,
    >: > but not sure about the logistics involved for copying a laptop.
    >: > I would like to use an external USB case for the 2nd drive,
    >: > but have not acquired one as yet.... some specs said they didn't support
    >: > over 40GB.
    >: >
    >: > We have a Dell C610 laptop to clone - also have Toshiba and Thinkpad -
    >: > but just for the Dell, I bought the swappable modular bay to support the
    >: > 2nd
    >: > disk
    >: > and was thinking I could use something like Partition Magic or Drive Copy.
    >: > Not sure about the other laptops and getting a USB case for the upgrade.
    >: >
    >: >
    >: >
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >
    >Andrew
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
    news:cuaccrkr6323246811@bizaveMYSHOES.com...
    > In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com>
    wrote:
    >
    > : "Bigguy" <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > : news:3mtqq6F18qa9nU1@individual.net...
    > : > Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    > : > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    > : >
    > : thanks -
    > : just downloaded the manual and was reading thru it -
    > : Wonder how Acronis TrueImage compares to Ghost and the other
    products -
    >
    > Here's one comparison of sorts:
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117961,00.asp
    >
    > I have never used Ghost, but to hear that some people think True Image
    > is better at a lower price was enough to sell me and I've never
    > regretted it. Great software. Although I have used it dozens of
    > times just to backup and clone disks, I did have to use it for real
    > when my hard drive crashed a couple of weeks back. Worked absolutely
    > perfectly - I was amazed that I could boot from the new hard drive
    > after restoring the backup image to it without doing anything.
    >
    > Andrew
    > --
    Just a followup on my Dell C610 hard disk upgrades...we have a couple to
    swap.
    Thanks for the suggestion of Acronis True Image 8.0
    Ran over to a local area Fry's and purchased for $49
    I also had picked up a Dell swappable modular bay to hold a 2.5" disk
    instead of the external USB case.

    Installed the new 60GB disk in the Dell modular bay for the Dell C610
    laptop.
    Installed the True Image 8.0 software on XP.
    Ran the software.... the Clone wizard asked a few basic questions
    (really just which drive is the source, and which is the
    destination)
    then it re-booted to run the native program.... which it did
    and then I had a new 60GB disk copied from the existing 30GB disk.
    I then pulled the disk from the Dell swappable modular bay case,
    and pulled the internal disk from the side mounted carrier - and swapped
    them -
    Booted - all is well -
    THANKS -
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Laptops Partition Magic Computers