Use Messenger as an internal Corp. IM platform

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
but I can't find any information on how to set this up.

We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
all desktops are running XP SP1.

Thanks,
Rob

Hey there Rob,

I see you're already set up with Exchange 2003, so I'll assume you're
sticking with that. In that event, check out
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/messsyst.mspx
for all the info you require on deploying Exchange for use with an IM
client.

If you have any other Exchange issues, the Exchange library has all sorts of
helpful documents (which can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx).

Good luck!

Sincerely,
Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
--

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM
> platform,
> but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
>
> We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1,
> and
> all desktops are running XP SP1.

> Thanks,
> Rob

Um Michael,

Exchange 2003 has no IM service.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hey there Rob,
>
> I see you're already set up with Exchange 2003, so I'll assume you're sticking with that.
> In that event, check out
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/messsyst.mspx for all
> the info you require on deploying Exchange for use with an IM client.
>
> If you have any other Exchange issues, the Exchange library has all sorts of helpful
> documents (which can be found here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx).
>
> Good luck!
>
> Sincerely,
> Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
> --
>

> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
>> but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
>>
>> We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
>> all desktops are running XP SP1.
>>
>> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rob

Greetings Rob,

Unfortunately in order to use Windows Messenger in this manner, you will need to get Live
Communications Server:
http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm

or obtain Exchange 2000 for it's IM Server.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
> but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
>
> We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
> all desktops are running XP SP1.

> Thanks,
> Rob

Huh? *me feels a full-body blush coming on...

Sorry Rob :(

Sincerely,
Michael Katz [MVP taken down a few notches - MSN Client]

> Um Michael,
>
> Exchange 2003 has no IM service.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hey there Rob,
>>
>> I see you're already set up with Exchange 2003, so I'll assume you're
>> sticking with that. In that event, check out
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/messsyst.mspx
>> for all the info you require on deploying Exchange for use with an IM
>> client.
>>
>> If you have any other Exchange issues, the Exchange library has all sorts
>> of helpful documents (which can be found here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx).
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
>> --
>>

>> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM
>>> platform,
>>> but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
>>>
>>> We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1,
>>> and
>>> all desktops are running XP SP1.
>>>
>>> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rob

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello Kay,

We have a mixed environment with some users on Exchange 2000 servers and
some on Exchange 2003. Can the users on the Exchange 2003 servers communicate
with the users on Exchange 2000 using Instant Messaging? What limitations are
we going to encounter here?

Thanks Rob

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Rob,
>
> Unfortunately in order to use Windows Messenger in this manner, you will need to get Live
> Communications Server:
> http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm
>
> or obtain Exchange 2000 for it's IM Server.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
> > but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
> >
> > We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
> > all desktops are running XP SP1.
> >
> > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Hello Kay,

We are in a mixed environment with some users on Exchange 2000 Servers and
some are on Exchange 2003 Servers. Can the Exchange 2003 users communicate
with users on Exchange 2000 using Instant Messaging? What kind of limitations
can we expect?

Thanks

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Rob,
>
> Unfortunately in order to use Windows Messenger in this manner, you will need to get Live
> Communications Server:
> http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm
>
> or obtain Exchange 2000 for it's IM Server.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
> > but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
> >
> > We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
> > all desktops are running XP SP1.
> >
> > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately it's not simple as Exchange 2003 does not have an IM Service (it was introduced
in 2000 and then removed in 2003). However, assuming everyone is still under the same Active
Directory, I see no reason why they couldn't all just connect to the Exchange 2000 IM
Service.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Hello Kay,
>
> We have a mixed environment with some users on Exchange 2000 servers and
> some on Exchange 2003. Can the users on the Exchange 2003 servers communicate
> with the users on Exchange 2000 using Instant Messaging? What limitations are
> we going to encounter here?
>
> Thanks Rob
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings Rob,
>>
>> Unfortunately in order to use Windows Messenger in this manner, you will need to get Live
>> Communications Server:
>> http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm
>>
>> or obtain Exchange 2000 for it's IM Server.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
>> > but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
>> >
>> > We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
>> > all desktops are running XP SP1.
>> >
>> > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Rob

Rob:

You may want to consider an implementation of Microsoft's Live
Communications Server.

http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm
or
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX010908711033.aspx