Use Messenger as an internal Corp. IM platform

Hello,

I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
but I can't find any information on how to set this up.

We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
all desktops are running XP SP1.

Thanks,
Rob
8 answers Last reply
More about messenger internal corp platform

    Hey there Rob,

    I see you're already set up with Exchange 2003, so I'll assume you're
    sticking with that. In that event, check out
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/messsyst.mspx
    for all the info you require on deploying Exchange for use with an IM
    client.

    If you have any other Exchange issues, the Exchange library has all sorts of
    helpful documents (which can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx).

    Good luck!

    Sincerely,
    Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
    --

    "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM
    > platform,
    > but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
    >
    > We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1,
    > and
    > all desktops are running XP SP1.

    > Thanks,
    > Rob

    Um Michael,

    Exchange 2003 has no IM service.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hey there Rob,
    >
    > I see you're already set up with Exchange 2003, so I'll assume you're sticking with that.
    > In that event, check out
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/messsyst.mspx for all
    > the info you require on deploying Exchange for use with an IM client.
    >
    > If you have any other Exchange issues, the Exchange library has all sorts of helpful
    > documents (which can be found here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx).
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
    > --
    >

    > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
    >> but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
    >>
    >> We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
    >> all desktops are running XP SP1.
    >>
    >> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Rob

    Greetings Rob,

    Unfortunately in order to use Windows Messenger in this manner, you will need to get Live
    Communications Server:
    http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm

    or obtain Exchange 2000 for it's IM Server.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
    > but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
    >
    > We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
    > all desktops are running XP SP1.

    > Thanks,
    > Rob

    Huh? *me feels a full-body blush coming on...

    Sorry Rob :(

    Sincerely,
    Michael Katz [MVP taken down a few notches - MSN Client]

    > Um Michael,
    >
    > Exchange 2003 has no IM service.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hey there Rob,
    >>
    >> I see you're already set up with Exchange 2003, so I'll assume you're
    >> sticking with that. In that event, check out
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/messsyst.mspx
    >> for all the info you require on deploying Exchange for use with an IM
    >> client.
    >>
    >> If you have any other Exchange issues, the Exchange library has all sorts
    >> of helpful documents (which can be found here:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx).
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >> Michael Katz [MVP - MSN Client]
    >> --
    >>

    >> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM
    >>> platform,
    >>> but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
    >>>
    >>> We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1,
    >>> and
    >>> all desktops are running XP SP1.
    >>>
    >>> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Rob

    Hello Kay,

    We have a mixed environment with some users on Exchange 2000 servers and
    some on Exchange 2003. Can the users on the Exchange 2003 servers communicate
    with the users on Exchange 2000 using Instant Messaging? What limitations are
    we going to encounter here?

    Thanks Rob

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Rob,
    >
    > Unfortunately in order to use Windows Messenger in this manner, you will need to get Live
    > Communications Server:
    > http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm
    >
    > or obtain Exchange 2000 for it's IM Server.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
    > > but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
    > >
    > > We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
    > > all desktops are running XP SP1.
    > >
    > > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Rob

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hello Kay,

    We are in a mixed environment with some users on Exchange 2000 Servers and
    some are on Exchange 2003 Servers. Can the Exchange 2003 users communicate
    with users on Exchange 2000 using Instant Messaging? What kind of limitations
    can we expect?

    Thanks

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Rob,
    >
    > Unfortunately in order to use Windows Messenger in this manner, you will need to get Live
    > Communications Server:
    > http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm
    >
    > or obtain Exchange 2000 for it's IM Server.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
    > > but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
    > >
    > > We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
    > > all desktops are running XP SP1.
    > >
    > > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Rob

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi Rob,

    Unfortunately it's not simple as Exchange 2003 does not have an IM Service (it was introduced
    in 2000 and then removed in 2003). However, assuming everyone is still under the same Active
    Directory, I see no reason why they couldn't all just connect to the Exchange 2000 IM
    Service.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > Hello Kay,
    >
    > We have a mixed environment with some users on Exchange 2000 servers and
    > some on Exchange 2003. Can the users on the Exchange 2003 servers communicate
    > with the users on Exchange 2000 using Instant Messaging? What limitations are
    > we going to encounter here?
    >
    > Thanks Rob
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings Rob,
    >>
    >> Unfortunately in order to use Windows Messenger in this manner, you will need to get Live
    >> Communications Server:
    >> http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm
    >>
    >> or obtain Exchange 2000 for it's IM Server.
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM platform,
    >> > but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
    >> >
    >> > We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 SP1, and
    >> > all desktops are running XP SP1.
    >> >
    >> > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Rob

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Rob:

    You may want to consider an implementation of Microsoft's Live
    Communications Server.

    http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm
    or
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX010908711033.aspx

    Bob
    "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Hello Kay,
    >
    > We have a mixed environment with some users on Exchange 2000 servers and
    > some on Exchange 2003. Can the users on the Exchange 2003 servers
    communicate
    > with the users on Exchange 2000 using Instant Messaging? What limitations
    are
    > we going to encounter here?
    >
    > Thanks Rob
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Greetings Rob,
    > >
    > > Unfortunately in order to use Windows Messenger in this manner, you will
    need to get Live
    > > Communications Server:
    > > http://office.microsoft.com/livecomm
    > >
    > > or obtain Exchange 2000 for it's IM Server.
    > > Jonathan Kay
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    > > Associate Expert
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    > > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > > All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    > > You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    > >
    > > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I would like to use Windows Messenger as our companies internal IM
    platform,
    > > > but I can't find any information on how to set this up.
    > > >
    > > > We are currently running all servers on Windows 2003, Exchange 2003
    SP1, and
    > > > all desktops are running XP SP1.
    > > >
    > > > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Rob

Windows Server 2003 Messenger Windows XP