Sound Problem in PTW, Driving me nuts

Please, can anyone help on this. Playing PTW DYP scenario and am having a
strange sound problem with the music. I'm hearing the music played twice
about one second or so out of phase. It's as if the same sound file is
play I've hit Ctrl Alt Del to check if something like another player has
been loaded, but, there is nothing there. Has anyone any idea how to solve
this?

Thanks,

Rob

"Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Please, can anyone help on this. Playing PTW DYP scenario and am having a
> strange sound problem with the music. I'm hearing the music played twice
> about one second or so out of phase. It's as if the same sound file is
> game
> play I've hit Ctrl Alt Del to check if something like another player has
> been loaded, but, there is nothing there. Has anyone any idea how to
> solve
> this?

Go into preferences and turn off all sound. Not sure if you need to save and
exit first, but then turn it back on.

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> > Please, can anyone help on this. Playing PTW DYP scenario and am having
> > strange sound problem with the music. I'm hearing the music played
twice
> > about one second or so out of phase. It's as if the same sound file is
> > game
> > play I've hit Ctrl Alt Del to check if something like another player has
> > been loaded, but, there is nothing there. Has anyone any idea how to
> > solve
> > this?
>
> Go into preferences and turn off all sound. Not sure if you need to save
and
> exit first, but then turn it back on.

Ahhh! Now I've turned off music and turned it on again, but, never tried
turning off all sound and back on again. Will try that next time I launch
it...tomorrow...bed time now.

Thanks (I hope) :)

Rob

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> > Please, can anyone help on this. Playing PTW DYP scenario and am having
> > strange sound problem with the music. I'm hearing the music played
twice
> > about one second or so out of phase. It's as if the same sound file is
> > game
> > play I've hit Ctrl Alt Del to check if something like another player has
> > been loaded, but, there is nothing there. Has anyone any idea how to
> > solve
> > this?
>
> Go into preferences and turn off all sound. Not sure if you need to save
and
> exit first, but then turn it back on.

Did that. Turned of all sound, saved, exited, re-launched, turned all sound
back on, but, still the problem persists. There are two ways to turn off
sound, one from the initial menu before game is launched, the other from
within the game. Tried both to no effect. Also noticed that when turning
sound off from initial menu then launching the game and going to Preferences
inside the game I find that sound is still enabled. I turned it off from
there, but, music continued...I tuned it on again and then back off and
sound stopped. It's almost as if there is a conflict between the two menus.

> "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
>> > Please, can anyone help on this. Playing PTW DYP scenario and am
>> > having
>> > strange sound problem with the music. I'm hearing the music played
> twice
>> > about one second or so out of phase. It's as if the same sound file is
>> > game
>> > play I've hit Ctrl Alt Del to check if something like another player
>> > has
>> > been loaded, but, there is nothing there. Has anyone any idea how to
>> > solve
>> > this?
>>
>> Go into preferences and turn off all sound. Not sure if you need to save
> and
>> exit first, but then turn it back on.
>>

> Did that. Turned of all sound, saved, exited, re-launched, turned all
> sound
> back on, but, still the problem persists. There are two ways to turn off
> sound, one from the initial menu before game is launched, the other from
> within the game. Tried both to no effect. Also noticed that when turning
> sound off from initial menu then launching the game and going to
> Preferences
> inside the game I find that sound is still enabled. I turned it off from
> there, but, music continued...I tuned it on again and then back off and
> sound stopped. It's almost as if there is a conflict between the two
> menus.

The main menu preferences is only used for starting a new game and possibly
while you are at the main menu.

The in game preferences affect the current game and are saved with the game.

One or the other or both are written to the ini file. I noticed i've been
having odd sound problems of late and it seems there are an unusual number
of players with a problem. I wouldn't be suprised to find out it is due to
media player 10 or something.

There is also a source of a potential bug in the ini file. There are 2
settings for sound effects and the wrong one gets used at times. It is
mentioned in one of the threads at civfanatics where firaxis discusses the
ini settings. I don't remember reading about a cure.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:04:44 -0500, "The Stare"
<wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

>The main menu preferences is only used for starting a new game and possibly
>while you are at the main menu.
>
>The in game preferences affect the current game and are saved with the game.
>
>One or the other or both are written to the ini file. I noticed i've been
>having odd sound problems of late and it seems there are an unusual number
>of players with a problem. I wouldn't be suprised to find out it is due to
>media player 10 or something.
>
>There is also a source of a potential bug in the ini file. There are 2
>settings for sound effects and the wrong one gets used at times. It is
>mentioned in one of the threads at civfanatics where firaxis discusses the
>ini settings. I don't remember reading about a cure.

Some of my settings never seem to save to the ini file. For instance
grid lines will always be off at startup unless I manually edit the
ini file.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:36:46 -0500, in alt.games.civ3, P12
<nowhere@all.com> said:

>Some of my settings never seem to save to the ini file. For instance
>grid lines will always be off at startup unless I manually edit the
>ini file.

This has always ticked me off. What's the ini setting to start with the
grid on? I'm playing conquests.

Thanks,

Gord

> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> > twice
During

> >> Go into preferences and turn off all sound. Not sure if you need to
save
> > and
> >> exit first, but then turn it back on.
> >>

> > Did that. Turned of all sound, saved, exited, re-launched, turned all
> > sound
> > back on, but, still the problem persists. There are two ways to turn
off
> > sound, one from the initial menu before game is launched, the other from
> > within the game. Tried both to no effect. Also noticed that when
turning
> > sound off from initial menu then launching the game and going to
> > Preferences
> > inside the game I find that sound is still enabled. I turned it off
from
> > there, but, music continued...I tuned it on again and then back off and
> > sound stopped. It's almost as if there is a conflict between the two
> > menus.
>
> The main menu preferences is only used for starting a new game and
possibly
> while you are at the main menu.
>
> The in game preferences affect the current game and are saved with the
game.

> One or the other or both are written to the ini file. I noticed i've been
> having odd sound problems of late and it seems there are an unusual number
> of players with a problem. I wouldn't be suprised to find out it is due to
> media player 10 or something.
>
> There is also a source of a potential bug in the ini file. There are 2
> settings for sound effects and the wrong one gets used at times. It is
> mentioned in one of the threads at civfanatics where firaxis discusses the
> ini settings. I don't remember reading about a cure.

I don't have WMP 10 on my system and have disassociated WMP 6 with
everything as I don't use it.

I did notice the ini sound settings, there are actually three settings, one
for overall volume, one for FX and the other for music, they all have an
understandable number next to them representing volume. There are a further
two sound settings there too, next to those are lines of ones and zeros,
binary code. I imagine it is those that could be giving the trouble.

I'm just glad that I am not the only one having sound problem, for a while I
thought that something had gone ape $h1t with my system :)

> I don't have WMP 10 on my system and have disassociated WMP 6 with
> everything as I don't use it.
>
> I did notice the ini sound settings, there are actually three settings,
> one
> for overall volume, one for FX and the other for music, they all have an
> understandable number next to them representing volume. There are a
> further
> two sound settings there too, next to those are lines of ones and zeros,
> binary code. I imagine it is those that could be giving the trouble.
>
> I'm just glad that I am not the only one having sound problem, for a while
> thought that something had gone ape $h1t with my system :)

You might want to consider downloading the latest WMP just to make sure you
have the latest dll's that civ3 is gonna look for. What's WMP6 for... win98
or something?

> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I don't have WMP 10 on my system and have disassociated WMP 6 with
> > everything as I don't use it.
> >
> > I did notice the ini sound settings, there are actually three settings,
> > one
> > for overall volume, one for FX and the other for music, they all have an
> > understandable number next to them representing volume. There are a
> > further
> > two sound settings there too, next to those are lines of ones and zeros,
> > binary code. I imagine it is those that could be giving the trouble.
> >
> > I'm just glad that I am not the only one having sound problem, for a
while
> > thought that something had gone ape $h1t with my system :)
>
> You might want to consider downloading the latest WMP just to make sure
you
> have the latest dll's that civ3 is gonna look for. What's WMP6 for...
win98
> or something?

It may even be Windows Media Player 5, it's been so long since I used it.
It ships with 98 and 98se. I used to use WMP 9 until I did a reformat and
after that I never bothered with it or upgrading it as I found that WMP 9
tended to be a resource hog and things kept going wrong with it. In fact I
was told that it was designed for XP and can be unstable on 98se. These
days I use the free Media Player Classic for videos etc. as it is very light
weight, doesn't make loads of entries in the registry, but, uses an ini file
instead. It plays virtually all video and audio and is extremely stable. I
also tend to use Nero Media Center for playing CDs and Foobar2000 for exotic
stuff like shn (shorten) and flak files. Will probably use Foobar2000 for
all audio eventually as I get the hang of it as it's another open source
application which is very versatile using very little resources.

I do have WMP 9 downloaded, but, have never got around to installing it.
Any idea what the latest dll files Civ 3 needs? I may already have them
installed so it would be a waste to install WMP 10 just for them in that
case.

> "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I don't have WMP 10 on my system and have disassociated WMP 6 with
>> > everything as I don't use it.
>> >
>> > I did notice the ini sound settings, there are actually three settings,
>> > one
>> > for overall volume, one for FX and the other for music, they all have
>> > an
>> > understandable number next to them representing volume. There are a
>> > further
>> > two sound settings there too, next to those are lines of ones and
>> > zeros,
>> > binary code. I imagine it is those that could be giving the trouble.
>> >
>> > I'm just glad that I am not the only one having sound problem, for a
> while
>> > thought that something had gone ape $h1t with my system :)
>>
>> You might want to consider downloading the latest WMP just to make sure
> you
>> have the latest dll's that civ3 is gonna look for. What's WMP6 for...
> win98
>> or something?
>>

> It may even be Windows Media Player 5, it's been so long since I used it.
> It ships with 98 and 98se. I used to use WMP 9 until I did a reformat and
> after that I never bothered with it or upgrading it as I found that WMP 9
> tended to be a resource hog and things kept going wrong with it. In fact
> was told that it was designed for XP and can be unstable on 98se. These
> days I use the free Media Player Classic for videos etc. as it is very
> light
> weight, doesn't make loads of entries in the registry, but, uses an ini
> file
> instead. It plays virtually all video and audio and is extremely stable.
> also tend to use Nero Media Center for playing CDs and Foobar2000 for
> exotic
> stuff like shn (shorten) and flak files. Will probably use Foobar2000 for
> all audio eventually as I get the hang of it as it's another open source
> application which is very versatile using very little resources.
>
> I do have WMP 9 downloaded, but, have never got around to installing it.
> Any idea what the latest dll files Civ 3 needs? I may already have them
> installed so it would be a waste to install WMP 10 just for them in that
> case.

I have no idea if the game actually uses any WMP dll's. It was just a
thought incase it does. The game was designed before WMP 10 so anything for
ver9 should work just as well or better. If your using 98SE, install the
latest available that is suppose to work for it. I would assume it want to
use your default mp3 player but it probably assumes a WMP compatible player.
I don't think there is any way to tell what it is trying to do.

Is there still a windows update for 98SE?

> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message

> > while
> >>
> >> You might want to consider downloading the latest WMP just to make sure
> > you
> >> have the latest dll's that civ3 is gonna look for. What's WMP6 for...
> > win98
> >> or something?
> >>

> > It may even be Windows Media Player 5, it's been so long since I used
it.
> > It ships with 98 and 98se. I used to use WMP 9 until I did a reformat
and
> > after that I never bothered with it or upgrading it as I found that WMP
9
> > tended to be a resource hog and things kept going wrong with it. In
fact
> > was told that it was designed for XP and can be unstable on 98se. These
> > days I use the free Media Player Classic for videos etc. as it is very
> > light
> > weight, doesn't make loads of entries in the registry, but, uses an ini
> > file
> > instead. It plays virtually all video and audio and is extremely
stable.
> > also tend to use Nero Media Center for playing CDs and Foobar2000 for
> > exotic
> > stuff like shn (shorten) and flak files. Will probably use Foobar2000
for
> > all audio eventually as I get the hang of it as it's another open source
> > application which is very versatile using very little resources.
> >
> > I do have WMP 9 downloaded, but, have never got around to installing it.
> > Any idea what the latest dll files Civ 3 needs? I may already have them
> > installed so it would be a waste to install WMP 10 just for them in that
> > case.
>
> I have no idea if the game actually uses any WMP dll's. It was just a
> thought incase it does. The game was designed before WMP 10 so anything
for
> ver9 should work just as well or better. If your using 98SE, install the
> latest available that is suppose to work for it. I would assume it want to
> use your default mp3 player but it probably assumes a WMP compatible
player.
> I don't think there is any way to tell what it is trying to do.
>
> Is there still a windows update for 98SE?

Yes, there are still Windows updates for 98se, it's just contact support
that has been withdrawn and I never got anywhere mailing them anyway. As I
said, I do have the last WMP 9 before they changed to 10 downloaded and
ready to install if needed so maybe I'll give it a go. Don't really want to
go up to 10 though.

Rob

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:16:18 -0500, GOH <goh@goh.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:36:46 -0500, in alt.games.civ3, P12
><nowhere@all.com> said:
>
>>Some of my settings never seem to save to the ini file. For instance
>>grid lines will always be off at startup unless I manually edit the
>>ini file.
>>
>This has always ticked me off. What's the ini setting to start with the
>grid on? I'm playing conquests.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gord

The setting is:
GridOn=1

I thougt I had it working in Windows98 but it doesn't seem to in my
new WinXP install. Maybe I need to start a new game to get it work.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:30:08 -0000, "Canopus"
<BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote:

>Yes, there are still Windows updates for 98se, it's just contact support
>that has been withdrawn and I never got anywhere mailing them anyway. As I
>said, I do have the last WMP 9 before they changed to 10 downloaded and
>ready to install if needed so maybe I'll give it a go. Don't really want to
>go up to 10 though.
>
>Rob

I am still using 9 and recommended sticking with that. Version 10 is
still too new and probably has bugs.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:45:33 -0500, in alt.games.civ3, P12
<nowhere@all.com> said:

>On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:16:18 -0500, GOH <goh@goh.com> wrote:
>
>>This has always ticked me off. What's the ini setting to start with the
>>grid on? I'm playing conquests.
>>
>The setting is:
>GridOn=1
>
>I thougt I had it working in Windows98 but it doesn't seem to in my
>new WinXP install. Maybe I need to start a new game to get it work.

Thanks. That's what I have it set to but when I reload a game the grid is
always off. I was hoping you knew of something else.

GOH

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:55:47 -0500, GOH <goh@goh.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:45:33 -0500, in alt.games.civ3, P12
><nowhere@all.com> said:
>
>>On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:16:18 -0500, GOH <goh@goh.com> wrote:
>>
>>>This has always ticked me off. What's the ini setting to start with the
>>>grid on? I'm playing conquests.
>>>
>>The setting is:
>>GridOn=1
>>
>>I thougt I had it working in Windows98 but it doesn't seem to in my
>>new WinXP install. Maybe I need to start a new game to get it work.
>
>Thanks. That's what I have it set to but when I reload a game the grid is
>always off. I was hoping you knew of something else.
>
>GOH

I had it working on my other computer. There must be some other
trigger to get it working. It has been a problem as long as I have
had civ so I am surprised they haven't fixed it yet.