bought the ATI AIW 9700 pro

so ok i got the nerve to buy it.

DOes anyone here have this card and what did you think of it? And is pinical studio 8 any good and what is mediator?

thanks!

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I've had it since early December. I bought it mainly for video gaming and TV capability. My Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP who had been reviewed to be better than the TV tuners from ATI, has failed me. The Winfast TV2000 does a good job when playing live TV however when you start to record in any format the live TV's video quality degrades to about 50% which looks ugly! The AIW 9700 Pro however retains about 98-100% unnoticeable video quality degrading when you start to record a show and still watch live TV. I tried it on all formats from VCD, SVCD to 6mbps and 8mbps DVD quality.

I have yet to use it to connect my VCR to convert VHS tapes of old to SVCD or DVD. It would be nice to be able to give friends copies of taped occassions in cheap CD than expensive and bulky VHS.

As for gaming I expected same results found in every test. I play Asheron's Call 2 and I cranked the video settings to VERY HIGH quality which is the max setting with FSAA 6x, Aniso 16x and there isn't any slow performances alone from the vidcard. The only slow performance came from the Internet connection. When I'm in a party of 5-9 and we hunt alone only with monsters around I don't get lag, I only get it when I come across around 20-40 ppl at one time which is always normal.

I haven't tried Pinnacle Studio 8 but I believe it will do more than make a regular VCD/DVD. I believe you can add your own menus as with other professional video editing/authoring programs. Mediator if I remember correctly is for Internet video stuff.

I give the AIW 9700 Pro 9/10! 9 coz I didn't like the video in/video out interface they had now compared to the interface of the AIW R8500