File Transfer with Messenger 4.7

Can't get it to work between my brother and I----everything else
does---voice, video, Remote Access, whiteboard, app sharing.

Why not file transfer??

Both of our cable modem services claim they do not block file transfer.

Any ideas???

My brother found this KB article----but it is for VPN networks:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313973

Any help appreciated.

John
3 answers Last reply
More about file transfer messenger

    Greetings John

    Are either of you using a router of some kind? If so, all the functionality you're referring
    to will work behind the router if the router supports Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
    However, in Windows Messenger 4.7, File Transfer does not make use of UPnP, so this won't
    work.

    You can either upgrade to Windows Messenger 5, which support UPnP-enabled file transfer (but
    you lose support for Add-Ins, so Hotmail support, Profiles, etc. are gone) here:
    http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77c3799f-6388-4193-8002-be55584c1ac1

    or use MSN Messenger 6.x instead:
    http://messenger.msn.com/Download
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "johnrr6" <johnrr6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can't get it to work between my brother and I----everything else
    > does---voice, video, Remote Access, whiteboard, app sharing.
    >
    > Why not file transfer??
    >
    > Both of our cable modem services claim they do not block file transfer.
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > My brother found this KB article----but it is for VPN networks:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313973
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > John

    Kay,
    You must be kidding and contradicting yourself!

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"johnrr6" <johnrr6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> Can't get it to work between my brother and I----
    everything else
    >> does---voice, video, Remote Access, whiteboard, app
    sharing.

    >> Why not file transfer??
    >>
    >> Both of our cable modem services claim they do not
    block file transfer.

    >> Any ideas???
    >>
    >> My brother found this KB article----but it is for VPN
    networks:

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
    us;313973

    >> Any help appreciated.
    >>
    >> John
    >

    >.

    ?
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Tran" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Kay,
    > You must be kidding and contradicting yourself!

Messenger Brother File Transfer Windows XP