Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

File Transfer with Messenger 4.7

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 10:53:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Can't get it to work between my brother and I----everything else
does---voice, video, Remote Access, whiteboard, app sharing.

Why not file transfer??

Both of our cable modem services claim they do not block file transfer.

Any ideas???

My brother found this KB article----but it is for VPN networks:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313973

Any help appreciated.

John
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 2:20:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings John

Are either of you using a router of some kind? If so, all the functionality you're referring
to will work behind the router if the router supports Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
However, in Windows Messenger 4.7, File Transfer does not make use of UPnP, so this won't
work.

You can either upgrade to Windows Messenger 5, which support UPnP-enabled file transfer (but
you lose support for Add-Ins, so Hotmail support, Profiles, etc. are gone) here:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77...

or use MSN Messenger 6.x instead:
http://messenger.msn.com/Download
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

"johnrr6" <johnrr6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F4D286C8-B2FB-48DC-8B94-28454EC0F2F4@microsoft.com...
> Can't get it to work between my brother and I----everything else
> does---voice, video, Remote Access, whiteboard, app sharing.
>
> Why not file transfer??
>
> Both of our cable modem services claim they do not block file transfer.
>
> Any ideas???
>
> My brother found this KB article----but it is for VPN networks:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313973
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> John
November 6, 2004 5:12:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Kay,
You must be kidding and contradicting yourself!
>-----Original Message-----
>Greetings John
>
>Are either of you using a router of some kind? If so,
all the functionality you're referring
>to will work behind the router if the router supports
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
>However, in Windows Messenger 4.7, File Transfer does not
make use of UPnP, so this won't
>work.
>
>You can either upgrade to Windows Messenger 5, which
support UPnP-enabled file transfer (but
>you lose support for Add-Ins, so Hotmail support,
Profiles, etc. are gone) here:
>http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyID=77c3799f-6388-4193-8002-be55584c1ac1
>
>or use MSN Messenger 6.x instead:
>http://messenger.msn.com/Download
>____________________________________________
>Jonathan Kay
>Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>Associate Expert
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004
Jonathan Kay.
>You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>
>"johnrr6" <johnrr6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>news:F4D286C8-B2FB-48DC-8B94-28454EC0F2F4@microsoft.com...
>> Can't get it to work between my brother and I----
everything else
>> does---voice, video, Remote Access, whiteboard, app
sharing.
>>
>> Why not file transfer??
>>
>> Both of our cable modem services claim they do not
block file transfer.
>>
>> Any ideas???
>>
>> My brother found this KB article----but it is for VPN
networks:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
us;313973
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> John
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 12:03:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

?
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

"Tran" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:076801c4c44d$c4771180$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Kay,
> You must be kidding and contradicting yourself!
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Greetings John
>>
>>Are either of you using a router of some kind? If so,
> all the functionality you're referring
>>to will work behind the router if the router supports
> Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
>>However, in Windows Messenger 4.7, File Transfer does not
> make use of UPnP, so this won't
>>work.
>>
>>You can either upgrade to Windows Messenger 5, which
> support UPnP-enabled file transfer (but
>>you lose support for Add-Ins, so Hotmail support,
> Profiles, etc. are gone) here:
>>http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
> FamilyID=77c3799f-6388-4193-8002-be55584c1ac1
>>
>>or use MSN Messenger 6.x instead:
>>http://messenger.msn.com/Download
>>____________________________________________
>>Jonathan Kay
>>Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>>Associate Expert
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>>Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>>All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004
> Jonathan Kay.
>>You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>>
>>"johnrr6" <johnrr6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
>>news:F4D286C8-B2FB-48DC-8B94-28454EC0F2F4@microsoft.com...
>>> Can't get it to work between my brother and I----
> everything else
>>> does---voice, video, Remote Access, whiteboard, app
> sharing.
>>>
>>> Why not file transfer??
>>>
>>> Both of our cable modem services claim they do not
> block file transfer.
>>>
>>> Any ideas???
>>>
>>> My brother found this KB article----but it is for VPN
> networks:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
> us;313973
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>>
>>.
>>
!