To fortify or not fortify?

Playing a game beyond 2050 and me and the Ottomans
are the only two left. After waiting the Ottomans finally attacked me
BUT they got about 100 moves ,and conquered 6 of my towns before
I got a chance to play!
I had my forces "fortified" in the towns. I had reserve forces also
"fortified"
elsewhere to aid in the fight.
I thought I had some units on "sentry" but that didn't seem to help.
IF I had not had all my forces "fortified" would they have interrupted the
AI's ability to keep coming at me?
Xeno

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:11:48 GMT, "Xeno Chauvin"
<arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>Playing a game beyond 2050 and me and the Ottomans
>are the only two left. After waiting the Ottomans finally attacked me
>BUT they got about 100 moves ,and conquered 6 of my towns before
>I got a chance to play!
>I had my forces "fortified" in the towns. I had reserve forces also
>"fortified"
>elsewhere to aid in the fight.
>I thought I had some units on "sentry" but that didn't seem to help.
>IF I had not had all my forces "fortified" would they have interrupted the
>AI's ability to keep coming at me?

No. There's no reaction moves other than fighters on air
superiority missions.

What fortify does is increase the defense value of the unit
(because it dug in).

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:11:48 GMT, "Xeno Chauvin"
<arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>Playing a game beyond 2050 and me and the Ottomans
>are the only two left. After waiting the Ottomans finally attacked me
>BUT they got about 100 moves ,and conquered 6 of my towns before
>I got a chance to play!
>I had my forces "fortified" in the towns. I had reserve forces also
>"fortified"
>elsewhere to aid in the fight.
>I thought I had some units on "sentry" but that didn't seem to help.
>IF I had not had all my forces "fortified" would they have interrupted the
>AI's ability to keep coming at me?
>Xeno

Fortify and Sentry as far as I know work the same way on defense --
that is, when it is the AI's turn. Either one gives the defense
bonus.

Units on Sentry will "wake up" on your turn and you'll be able to
move them. They won't do anything before that.

The only reaction attacks are zone of control attacks and defensive
artillery. If an enemy passes by a unit with ZoC, it can take a shot
at it. If an enemy attacks a stack with artillery, the artillery can
take one shot at each attacker.

In both cases, there is only one shot taken per enemy unit, and each
of your units may only take one shot/turn.

To stop enemy movement outright, you have to have units in their
path, so they must be attacked rather than whatever else you want to
defend. If you can't block all squares with units, the next best
thing is a huge number of units defending each city.

In article <0tb8t09s7m9r1eitjvgustv0p0doioapr7@4ax.com>,
lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com says...
> >I thought I had some units on "sentry" but that didn't seem to help.
> >IF I had not had all my forces "fortified" would they have interrupted the
> >AI's ability to keep coming at me?
>
> No. There's no reaction moves other than fighters on air
> superiority missions.

I am not entirely sure which units have reaction moves, except I am
postive that Modern Armour will shoot at anything moving past it at a
great rate of knots.
I must add to that, that I never have my Modern Armour fortified -
that's the job of the Mech Infantry so I don't know if fortifying would
stop them from letting go opportunity fire.

I have seen other units do it - pretty sure the Guerilla can do it in
'Conquests' - but it seems to occur less frequently so I am not sure
from the top of my head.

To the O.P.: if you are thinking that anything would've interrupted your
opponent's turn and given you a chance at defensive moves - the answer
is NO. Fortified units are dug in and stay dug in if something comes
near. Sentried units WAKE UP when something comes near, but that only
means that they will come up in the movement queue the next time it's
*your* turn - they will not interrupt the opponent's. In the endgame it
is imperative to have at least two good defensive units in every city,
to fortify mountain passes and such like, and have even more defence in
your border towns that can be reached within one move by the opposition.
As you found out.

Don't forget that they can only use their movement at the terrain value
in your zone of influence: in other words, they cannot use your roads
and railroads if you are at war.

Then again:
I often use this tactic when attacking: take over a border town. Bring
in lots and lots of workers and build a railroad to the {new} edge of
the opponent's zone of influence. Roll up more units and invade the next
town (previously hinterland), bring in lots of workers ..... you can
make DEEP incursions that way in just a couple of turns ;-)

-Peter

"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
> In article <0tb8t09s7m9r1eitjvgustv0p0doioapr7@4ax.com>,
> lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com says...
>> >I thought I had some units on "sentry" but that didn't seem to help.
>> >IF I had not had all my forces "fortified" would they have interrupted
>> >the
>> >AI's ability to keep coming at me?
>>
>> No. There's no reaction moves other than fighters on air
>> superiority missions.
>
> I am not entirely sure which units have reaction moves, except I am
> postive that Modern Armour will shoot at anything moving past it at a
> great rate of knots.
> I must add to that, that I never have my Modern Armour fortified -
> that's the job of the Mech Infantry so I don't know if fortifying would
> stop them from letting go opportunity fire.
>
> I have seen other units do it - pretty sure the Guerilla can do it in
> 'Conquests' - but it seems to occur less frequently so I am not sure
> from the top of my head.

This is the Civ3 Zone of Control you are talking about. The opposing unit
must move between 2 adjacent tiles before there is a chance of the unit
taking a pot shot at them. You only see sucessful hits which is why the
stonger units seem to do it more.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:18:14 +1300, Peter Huebner
<no.one@this.address> wrote:

>I am not entirely sure which units have reaction moves, except I am
>postive that Modern Armour will shoot at anything moving past it at a
>great rate of knots.
>I must add to that, that I never have my Modern Armour fortified -
>that's the job of the Mech Infantry so I don't know if fortifying would
>stop them from letting go opportunity fire.

That's opportunity fire, not an intercept move.

>Then again:
>I often use this tactic when attacking: take over a border town. Bring
>in lots and lots of workers and build a railroad to the {new} edge of
>the opponent's zone of influence. Roll up more units and invade the next
>town (previously hinterland), bring in lots of workers ..... you can
>make DEEP incursions that way in just a couple of turns ;-)

With modern armor I've rolled over most of an entire empire in a
single turn. No workers. Take the town and it's rail net becomes
yours, your next units can use it. (Do *NOT* use a stack move into
his territory!)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:11:48 GMT, "Xeno Chauvin"
<arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>Playing a game beyond 2050 and me and the Ottomans
>are the only two left. After waiting the Ottomans finally attacked me
>BUT they got about 100 moves ,and conquered 6 of my towns before
>I got a chance to play!
>I had my forces "fortified" in the towns. I had reserve forces also
>"fortified"
>elsewhere to aid in the fight.
>I thought I had some units on "sentry" but that didn't seem to help.
>IF I had not had all my forces "fortified" would they have interrupted the
>AI's ability to keep coming at me?
>Xeno

All you really could have done is have more heavy defensive units in
your border cities. If I am expecting war I will stack bordering
cities with 4-10 units depending on how much of a threat I think they
are. Only fast units will be able to attack in the same turn so those
are your biggest threat.

If no one has a right of passage you can lighten up your inner cities
to get extra troops. Or you can fortify your inner cities with attack
units for use when the war starts. Sometimes this will have the
effect of the AI running past your cities to get at the weaker
defended ones. This is great because it lets you pick off their
attack units like sitting ducks on the next turn.

In article <8NVAd.27720$wD4.8702@fe1.texas.rr.com>, "Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote:
>Playing a game beyond 2050 and me and the Ottomans
>are the only two left. After waiting the Ottomans finally attacked me
>BUT they got about 100 moves ,and conquered 6 of my towns before
>I got a chance to play!

Sounds like you did not have the pause at the end of the move turned on. If
all of your cities are producing wealth and all of your units are fortified
you won't ever get a chance to interact. I guess when you complete a tech the
Science Advisor will pop up.

Mike G

In article <v53ct0pj6h681agk1p6odg8pcfr6s5crl3@4ax.com>, nowhere@all.com
says...
> Sometimes this will have the
> effect of the AI running past your cities to get at the weaker
> defended ones. This is great because it lets you pick off their
> attack units like sitting ducks on the next turn.

In particular the comp seems to go crazy about workers and undefended
towns, no matter how small and insignificant they may be. I make a point
of not exploiting this consciously but it would make great bait if one
were so inclined.

:) -Peter

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 02:35:44 +1300, Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address>
wrote:

>In article <v53ct0pj6h681agk1p6odg8pcfr6s5crl3@4ax.com>, nowhere@all.com
>says...
>> Sometimes this will have the
>> effect of the AI running past your cities to get at the weaker
>> defended ones. This is great because it lets you pick off their
>> attack units like sitting ducks on the next turn.
>>

>In particular the comp seems to go crazy about workers and undefended
>towns, no matter how small and insignificant they may be. I make a point
>of not exploiting this consciously but it would make great bait if one
>were so inclined.

I didn't realize until recently that could be a trigger for war. I
had the Celts start a war with me which I was not prepared for. So I
restarted the turn and made some adjustments first and they didn't
declare war. The trigger for war was about 8 undefended workers
clearing a jungle near their border.

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

wrote:

>In article <v53ct0pj6h681agk1p6odg8pcfr6s5crl3@4ax.com>, nowhere@all.com
>says...
>> Sometimes this will have the
>> effect of the AI running past your cities to get at the weaker
>> defended ones. This is great because it lets you pick off their
>> attack units like sitting ducks on the next turn.
>>

>In particular the comp seems to go crazy about workers and undefended
>towns, no matter how small and insignificant they may be. I make a point
>of not exploiting this consciously but it would make great bait if one
>were so inclined.
>
>:) -Peter

When I am playing a defensive mode with a naval enemy, I will line up
troops along the shore leaving a hole at a selected point. beside
that hole will be a string of troops with area control such as
musketmen, riflemen, or their upgrades that lead to an internal city.
i will remove the troops from the city and allow the enemy to land and
attempt an attack on the city. In most cases, the enemy will be
weakened to the limit by the time they end the turn and I pick them
off with stronger troops.

Buck
--
For what it's worth.

mtg@cornellc.cit.stumbling.block.cornell.edu (Mike Garcia) wrote in

> In article <8NVAd.27720$wD4.8702@fe1.texas.rr.com>, "Xeno Chauvin"
> <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote:
>>Playing a game beyond 2050 and me and the Ottomans
>>are the only two left. After waiting the Ottomans finally attacked
>>me BUT they got about 100 moves ,and conquered 6 of my towns
>>before I got a chance to play!
>
> Sounds like you did not have the pause at the end of the move
> turned on. If all of your cities are producing wealth and all of
> your units are fortified you won't ever get a chance to interact.
> I guess when you complete a tech the Science Advisor will pop up.

If there are no units to move, the End of Turn pause is given,
regardless of options.

--
ICQ: 8105495
AIM: KeeperGFA

In article <1mogt0l351j7ih6tqfam3vfjd41t0h82ln@4ax.com>,
Buck <iam@this.site> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 02:35:44 +1300, Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <v53ct0pj6h681agk1p6odg8pcfr6s5crl3@4ax.com>, nowhere@all.com
> >says...
> >> Sometimes this will have the
> >> effect of the AI running past your cities to get at the weaker
> >> defended ones. This is great because it lets you pick off their
> >> attack units like sitting ducks on the next turn.
> >>

> >In particular the comp seems to go crazy about workers and undefended
> >towns, no matter how small and insignificant they may be. I make a point
> >of not exploiting this consciously but it would make great bait if one
> >were so inclined.
> >
> >:) -Peter
>
> When I am playing a defensive mode with a naval enemy, I will line up
> troops along the shore leaving a hole at a selected point. beside
> that hole will be a string of troops with area control such as
> musketmen, riflemen, or their upgrades that lead to an internal city.
> i will remove the troops from the city and allow the enemy to land and
> attempt an attack on the city. In most cases, the enemy will be
> weakened to the limit by the time they end the turn and I pick them
> off with stronger troops.
>

> Buck

I tried the Production Manager at Deity level on a standard map in Civ3
Game of the Year and all of my coastal cities built Privateers. The
opponents see Privateers anywhere on the map if they are alone on the
water and send ships to attack them. The Privateers usually made about
two moves and were sunk by metal ships.

An inlet city produced one Privateer every two turns which moved two
turns to another one of my coastal cities. A big Russian fleet moved
south along my coast toward it and moved north when it disappeared into
my city. It was an infinite loop. I had twenty Artillery and fourteen
Bombers and twenty two Cruise Missiles. I demanded they leave my
territory, they declared war, and then my Artillery and Bombers weakened
them and the Cruise Missiles sunk all of them, sixteen ships. Something
tells me the opponents are not human.

Cliff Nelson

Dry your tears, there's more fun for your ears,
"Forward Into The Past" 2 PM to 5 PM, Sundays,
California time, at: http://www.kspc.org/

Don't be a square or a blockhead; see:
http://users.adelphia.net/~cnelson9/